A risk worth taking ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're sure your dad is going to dive one way or the other I would recommend finding exactly what the problem is, minimize the risks and enjoy your dives with him, knowing that he will be diving as safely as possible when he is with you.

Of course there are risks to this. He may die a horrible, tramatic death while you are diving with him and you need to try to analyze what effect this may have on you. Will you be able to tell yourself that you were there and did everything possible to help and that he died doing something he loved? Or will you spend the rest of your life second guessing yourself? Thinking you should have stopped him somehow or that you could have saved him if only...?

But there are also risks with not diving with him. He could start solo diving where there is no chance of rescue if something happened. Or he could live to 100, diving the entire time, and die of a non dive related cause and then you run the risking of spending the rest of your life asking yourself why you missed out on all those dives.

TheDivingPreacher:
It is a very selfish person who does whatever they want without consideration for the needs and desires of those around them. I would tell my father to think of his family before himself. (which is the right thing to do)
IMSLTHO That is- In My Sometimes Less Than Humble Opinion

i agree it is a very selfish person who never considers the needs and desires of those around them, but I spent the majority of my adult life considering ONLY those around me and never paying attention to my own needs and desires. That is just as harmful and just as wrong.

I am not sure that debating the right and wrong of doing what one wants or what others want is relative to this thread.

Her Dad is intent on diving, she wants to cooperate with his desires, and they seem to be working toward an acceptable compromise. This is the most adult approach. :thumb:

Gawd, I love it when I'm right. :D

DandyDon:
I am not sure that debating the right and wrong of doing what one wants or what others want is relative to this thread.

Her Dad is intent on diving, she wants to cooperate with his desires, and they seem to be working toward an acceptable compromise. This is the most adult approach. :thumb:
Amen, amen, AMEN.

skybird:
i agree it is a very selfish person who never considers the needs and desires of those around them, but I spent the majority of my adult life considering ONLY those around me and never paying attention to my own needs and desires. That is just as harmful and just as wrong.

My complements, you are an extremely rare individual.

Thanks. We seem to be getting closer to finding acceptable terms. I'll post after our Dr. appointment on the 28th.

If it were me I'd dive with my dad as long as I could. Considering all of the other potential cardiac stressors out there (rush hour, taxes, mother-in-laws) I would take my chances with diving. Walking out the door in the morning is a risk and I wonder at what point do you give up living and settle for existing in the name of longevity?

So what kind of person would need or desire to take the joy out of another person't life?

Terry

TheDivingPreacher:
It is a very selfish person who does whatever they want without consideration for the needs and desires of those around them. I would tell my father to think of his family before himself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom