A risk worth taking ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A few weeks back I posted a thread on senior citizen diving. Everyone pretty much assured me that it was ok for my 68 yr old Dad to dive.
Today I saw our family doctor (who happens to be a personal family friend) and he said how sorry he was that my Dad wouldn't be diving with me anymore. To make a long story short.... My Dad had been to the Dr. with chest pains. He was put on some meds and told no strenuous work, no stress, ect...and no diving. When I asked my Dad about it, he told me he WAS going to keep dive and that if he died doing it that he would die happy. I argued of course, but what do you do? He was diving before I was born and I can't see him stopping. Do I refuse to go with him? If you were in his situation what would you do? If you were in my situation what would you do?

Do you really want to be the one who has to drag your dad's lifeless body out of the water? Ask him if that's the last thing he thinks you should do for him. It's time to retire his fins and enjoy his family.

My dad died suddenly of a heart attack a couple years ago (30-yr insulin diabetic). He was at the YMCA doing his daily workout and simply hit the floor dead. He died the way he wanted to, quick and relatively painless but it didn't make it any easier on the rest of us.

Good luck,
Ber :lilbunny:

Well, not going with your dad doesn't sound like it is going to stop him from diving. So, if I was in your shoes, I would spend as much quality time with my dad as possible, and if that is diving, then I would be diving.
If I was in his situation, I agree with him, if I die diving at least I will die happy. I will dive until I am unable, not until someone tells me I'm too old or too much stress can kill me. You can't live your life in fear of stress and death, I don't think that would be much of a life, and I'm guessing your dad feels the same way.

In your situation I would get more information. What is the medical condition that prompted these restrictions? Is it treatable? Is diving specifically interdicted or is the physical exertion of diving that is the cause?

My Dad dove with me into his 80's. I adjusted our dive profiles to stay well within no-decompression limits and did a decompression stop for an extra margin of safety. If his condition can be treated so that he can resume diving then see what you can do to help him accomplish that.

The biggest problem with dying while you're diving is you don't get to dive anymore.

scubajoh44:
A few weeks back I posted a thread on senior citizen diving. Everyone pretty much assured me that it was ok for my 68 yr old Dad to dive.
Today I saw our family doctor (who happens to be a personal family friend) and he said how sorry he was that my Dad wouldn't be diving with me anymore. To make a long story short.... My Dad had been to the Dr. with chest pains. He was put on some meds and told no strenuous work, no stress, ect...and no diving. When I asked my Dad about it, he told me he WAS going to keep dive and that if he died doing it that he would die happy. I argued of course, but what do you do? He was diving before I was born and I can't see him stopping. Do I refuse to go with him? If you were in his situation what would you do? If you were in my situation what would you do?

I would dive with him personally. No question in my mind. Its his life his body and his decision to go but you can be there or NOT. Now ball is in your court.

Ask your dad if he has thought out the possibility that in his desire to die while diving, he may take you, or another diver trying to help him,, with him. Forgive me, as I mean no disrespect, but it sounds like your dad may not be thinking clearly. The LAST thing I would do,would be to endanger my daughter, or cause her to be in such a situation.

Ber Rabbit:
Do you really want to be the one who has to drag your dad's lifeless body out of the water? Ask him if that's the last thing he thinks you should do for him. It's time to retire his fins and enjoy his family.
This may sound disturbing, but if it was my father, I guess I wouldn't mind pulling him out. Yes, it would be tough, but I would rather be there, and it be me, than have someone who I didn't know have to do it. At least I would be prepared for it, some other diver may never be able to live that down. This is all considering that the father is going to dive with or without you. My dad is stubborn too, and I couldn't stop him from doing something he loves. As far as asking him to stop and enjoy his family, it sounds like diving is a part of this family, and it may be how he enjoys his family, at least it sounds like it is how he enjoys his life. I have seen people that don't have hobbies just waste away, and that is so much worse than enjoying life until the end.

I don't know. This is really driving me crazy!!!!!! I did tell him that I didn't want to have to pull the mask off his face and him not be breathing. He's one of those stubborn men that just says, "nothing's going to happen, don't be stupid, I'm going diving."
I don't think I can stop him from diving, but maybe I can slow him down a little if I refuse to go. But then again, I don't want him going with someone that may not know his condition as well as me. At least I can keep an eye on him. AND... I SURE wouldn't want him to know that I halfway understand how he feels.
I just don't know!

I'd take him diving anytime.

My father died in coma in a nursing home after a year and a half on "life support". He didn't dive, but I'm absolutely certain he would have much rather gone quickly while seeing beautiful stuff than slowly and painfully in a nursing home.

As long as the family understands and agrees with his wishes, I don't see a problem.

Terry

scubajoh44:

He's lived his life, why not let him dive? I would if it were my dad.

As long as you're willing to do what you need to "IF" he as a medical problem, or heaven forbid, he dies while you're with him. I see no reason why he should not dive. He's a big boy and knows the risks. (assuming he has his faculties, but if he's a diver, that's in doubt right away ) :wink:

scubajoh44:

Back
Top Bottom