Police shoot Iraq vet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
In your opinion, at what time/distance/point am I justified in shooting and where should I aim?

From what I know of training, somewhere around #5, center of mass.

From what I read in the paper, it's usually much closer to #1. Typically mentally ill people who are the only ones who would threaten an armed officer (but the cops don't know that and honestly can't afford to give and benefits of doubt.)

That said, I've seen the tape. It 'looks' particularly egregious, since it's absolutely nothing like that example above. At the least, the situation was clearly partially under control before the words 'get up' were barked out. It was at that point the officer, for whatever reason, lost control of the scene.

Media consultants interviewed with the tape in front of them (grain of salt time) have almost universally commented there's nothing there that's exculpatory, nothing that says it's anything other than adrenaline.

But nobody knows the whole story, so it's hard to say, and the tape IS very dark. If there's more to the story, the tape may work against that, since its looks very, very, very bad for the shooter. This may be why the FBI opened an investigation of its own before the tape even hit the airwaves.

--fsik
------
Barnaby Jones always got 'em in the leg...

To clarify some questions that were raised here;
1)Knife is dangerous at 21 feet, you cannot stop a person from stabbing you if they are that close or closer
2)Police officers are trained to shoot at center mass, not to "kill" or to "wound"
3)Police officers are trained to shoot until the threat is gone, this is determined by the suspect, if they stop whatever they are doing that is a threat, the shooting stops
4)If you want to get a small idea of the feeling, go out and run a mile as fast as you can, ending 7 yards from a man size target, draw your weapon and fire and see how many times you hit the center
5)Unlike television, in our universe a half ounce of lead is not capable of stopping someone in their tracks, thus multiple rounds
6)When you are shot, unless it is through the brain, the heart, or a large bone such as the femur is shattered, you do not die, you go into shock and do not feel pain, particularly under stress, so you continue whatever it is you were doing
7)There are few experts around in the science of deadly force, the press does not have any on staff, anything the press releases is for ratings, not enlightenment

I do not have sufficient information, so I render no opinions on the particular shooting. However, from what I've seen on TV, my initial reaction is that it doesn't look good for the officer.

adurso:
To clarify some questions that were raised here;
1)Knife is dangerous at 21 feet, you cannot stop a person from stabbing you if they are that close or closer
2)Police officers are trained to shoot at center mass, not to "kill" or to "wound"
3)Police officers are trained to shoot until the threat is gone, this is determined by the suspect, if they stop whatever they are doing that is a threat, the shooting stops
4)If you want to get a small idea of the feeling, go out and run a mile as fast as you can, ending 7 yards from a man size target, draw your weapon and fire and see how many times you hit the center
5)Unlike television, in our universe a half ounce of lead is not capable of stopping someone in their tracks, thus multiple rounds
6)When you are shot, unless it is through the brain, the heart, or a large bone such as the femur is shattered, you do not die, you go into shock and do not feel pain, particularly under stress, so you continue whatever it is you were doing
7)There are few experts around in the science of deadly force, the press does not have any on staff, anything the press releases is for ratings, not enlightenment

Bear in mind I have not seen the video but being a trained infantry officer and having worked in detainee operations in Iraq, 21 feet or less is considered a threat for an individual weilding a knife. I also firmly believe what else Adurso said is true. We do not know the entire circumstances of this case and although it is tragic an OIF vet was shot, we were not there and do not know the all of the facts pertaining to this case. My motto in Iraq was, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6," and would have to say the officer probably felt the same way. It is fortunate that all parties involved lived to see another day.

MoonWrasse:
How about 27 shots?

PETALUMA
Molest suspect shot 27 times by police
Saturday, October 8, 2005

A 72-year-old suspected child molester killed by Petaluma police officers after allegedly brandishing a gun Oct. 1 had 27 bullets in his body, an autopsy showed.

James Anthony Decosta was shot in the head, neck, chest, abdomen and groin, according to the autopsy, with most of the wounds entering the left side. He also was struck in an arm, leg and foot, said Lt. Dave Edmonds of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department.

Decosta was wanted on a $100,000 arrest warrant out of Sacramento dating to 1998 charging him with molesting a child under 14.

Police spotted him leaving a health club shortly after 5 p.m. He led them on a short chase through an industrial area, then allegedly got out of his car holding a gun.

Five officers were placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...ST2.DTL&hw=groin+shot+suspected&sn=002&sc=948

Box of 50 Bullets = $25.00
Salary of Police Officer = $20.00 hr
Shooting a Child Molester 27 times = Priceless

Without the videotape (and the enhancements applied to the video and audio) the officer might well have gotten away with what appears to be attempted murder. This is no criticism of police officers in general, but this one in specific seemed to short circuit.

I hope he has to do some time for the shooting because it was total BS.

Cobra852:
Box of 50 Bullets = $25.00
Salary of Police Officer = $20.00 hr
Shooting a Child Molester 27 times = Priceless

I didn't see this post before ... If local PD wants, I'll pick up the cost of the box of bullets. It would be a pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom