Police shoot Iraq vet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colt

Reaction score
Did you guys see this tape? Pretty :censored: up if you ask me, looks like he was about
to comply with the officer, then he unloaded on him.

Police shoot Iraq vet on tape
CHINO, Calif.
- (AP) -- A videotape released Tuesday shows a sheriff's deputy shooting an unarmed Air Force policeman who recently returned from Iraq as he appeared to obey an order to get up off the ground.
KTLA-TV broadcast a 40-second clip it said came from a Chino resident who videotaped Sunday night's shooting, which followed a 100 mph car chase.
Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, was listed in good condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.
Carrion was a passenger in a Corvette that crashed into a wall following the brief chase, authorities said.
The video shows Carrion on the ground talking to an officer who is pointing a gun at him. Carrion is heard telling the officer he is unarmed and is in the military.
A voice is heard saying several times: ``Get up.''
Carrion says: ''I'm gonna get up.'' As he rises, at least four shots are fired and Carrion collapses.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department took the original tape, refusing to release it to the public.
The deputy, whose name was not released, was placed on paid administrative leave.
The driver of the Corvette, identified by authorities as Luis Fernando Escobedo, 21, was arrested for felony evading.
Carrion was scheduled to report today to his unit, the 2nd Security Forces Squadron, at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, La.

It's unclear still what actually occured. The tape is low quality, and the audio track has the shooting officer either saying "stand up" or "stay down" (or something to that effect).

What I couldn't understand from when the story first aired was why a cop would tell a person to stand up in that situation. Not only doesn't it sound like proper procedures, but if the person on the ground was injured it sounds callous.

Let's wait and see.

sounds like a tragic miscomunication

Have seen the video several times. Hard to give an opinion, and I'm by no means involved in law enforcement (although I've worked with officers in stakeout situations decades ago). However, it sure seems like Carrion was complying when he was shot. There was a movement with his hand to his chest that the officer might have been mistaken as going for a weapon, but...

I'm just glad I don't find myself in situations like that where snap judgments may be necessary to ensure my life.

Without having been there and not knowing all of the circumstances it is impossible to comment cogently. No law enforcement officer wants to be involved in a critical incident.....

I agree with Bill. From what I heard, it SEEMS like Carrion was complying when he was shot. If that is the case, then I would say that is attempted murder. It is hard to see and hear exactly what happened. The officer might have thought he was going for a gun. In that case it would be justifiable. You can be sure the tape will be dissected by both sides.

drbill:
Have seen the video several times. Hard to give an opinion, and I'm by no means involved in law enforcement (although I've worked with officers in stakeout situations decades ago). However, it sure seems like Carrion was complying when he was shot. There was a movement with his hand to his chest that the officer might have been mistaken as going for a weapon, but...

I'm just glad I don't find myself in situations like that where snap judgments may be necessary to ensure my life.

He was complying from what I saw, and you could hear the officer telling him to get up. You cant get up from off the ground without your hands in a push up stance.
Why didnt he restrain him on the ground? Im sure we will hear more on this.
The good news out of this is, at least it looks like he is going to live.

colt:
at least it looks like he is going to live.

man, that just sent a shiver down my spine

i had assumed he was dead

man, am i relieved

Interesting responses.

I've not seen the video, nor do I care to. I saw the Rodney King "video" too many times in training.

What I came away with from the RK video was to not base your judgement on simple, less than optimal, home movies.

I also see an interesting parrellell (not spelled correctly) in the high speed chase aspect. What was the airman doing (allegedly) involved in a 100 MPH car chase?

It's easy to arm-chair quarterback when it's not you involved in having to make a split second decision that might cost someone, including you, a life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom