Police shoot Iraq vet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
Interesting responses.

I've not seen the video, nor do I care to. I saw the Rodney King "video" too many times in training.

What I came away with from the RK video was to not base your judgement on simple, less than optimal, home movies.

I also see an interesting parrellell (not spelled correctly) in the high speed chase aspect. What was the airman doing (allegedly) involved in a 100 MPH car chase?

It's easy to arm-chair quarterback when it's not you involved in having to make a split second decision that might cost someone, including you, a life.
The airman was on his way to the store, having left a party at his parent's house.
Probably a last night send off party before returning for duty.

Not to give an opinion, haven't seen it. BUT San Bernadino is the roughest place I have ever seen in my life. I used to work that stretch of the I-10 for trauma transport and ...talk about a war zone. Very, very bad area.

That's a good point Catherine. It could be a contributing factor.

This is a hard situation. Being a police officer I always refuse to judge what anouther officer has done untill I know all the facts of a situation, since I wasnt there myself. However being a AF Security Forces member myself, its very enraging to have one of our own shot. All I know is this guy better have percieved an actual threat from this situation, although I'm having a hard time seeing how, and not just shot one of my people in cold blood.

colt:
I guess his buddy was drunk and didnt want to stop. I would not try and exit the car at 100mph, what is SOP on high speed chases do you tell the perp to stand up when you are on top of him with your weapon or do you restrain them? Maybe you could watch the video and give us your professional opinion on it.

Like I originally posted, I do not want to see the video. I made the mistake once before of judging another PO actions based on the media hyped "beating of a motorist" video.

Some of what I would need access to in order to render a valid analysis is:

1) knowledge of the entire incident (including what was known/suspected of the occupants of the car)

2) impartial analysis of the sound on the video (including if it was "unintelligibel")

3) knowledge of experience/training of all officers on the scene

4) knowledge of SOP for all departments/officers on the scene

5) knowledge of previous incidents, etc. involving that particular officer

Let me ask you a question and here is the scenario:

1) I, [as a PO], am in a room approximately 50 feet long, with a knife-armed suspect who has verbally communicated he is going to "cut you up" as well as brandishing the knife

2) I have called for assistance

3) I cannot exit the room. He is standing between me and the exit. I cannot "circle around him" because the room is too narrow.

4) I have repeatedly, clearly, told him to "drop the knife and get down on the floor"

5) I am armed and have my sidearm aimed at him while I am commanding him to ...

6) He ignores my commands and continues to walk toward me.

In your opinion, at what time/distance/point am I justified in shooting and where should I aim?

G_M

Green_Manelishi:
In your opinion, at what time/distance/point am I justified in shooting and where should I aim?

probably ten feet away, if he continues to walk towards me wielding the knife
(much further if he's running at me), and aim to drop him (at the chest/belly)

but what on earth does this have to do with a suspect on the ground being
told to "get up" by the officer and then shot while unarmed and not advancing
towards the officer?

Green_Manelishi:
Let me ask you a question and here is the scenario:

1) I, [as a PO], am in a room approximately 50 feet long, with a knife-armed suspect who has verbally communicated he is going to "cut you up" as well as brandishing the knife

2) I have called for assistance

3) I cannot exit the room. He is standing between me and the exit. I cannot "circle around him" because the room is too narrow.

4) I have repeatedly, clearly, told him to "drop the knife and get down on the floor"

5) I am armed and have my sidearm aimed at him while I am commanding him to ...

6) He ignores my commands and continues to walk toward me.

G_M

21 feet aiming at main body mass.

In Florida, as soon as you feel threatened, and aim at the middle of your target. He can always throw the knife.

I ve been a police officer for 8 years doing everything from patrol to narcotics , what you dont see in the video is the soldiers hands because its too dark . Believe me hands tell everything . I also have a freind who responded to a domestic call and after he arrived he got into a struggle with the offender . During the struggle the offender kept stating to the assisting officers to " put yours guns away theirs no problem , I dont want any trouble " and at the time he was making these statements he was trying to pull my friends gun from his holster. By the end of the struggle the offender had crushed my friends sternum and broken two saftey features on my friends holster while he was trying to retreive the gun. He now has a steal plate in his cheast to hold his ribs in place and is on large amounts of medication . Please before you judge get the whole story . Just because the soldier had just got back from Iraq does not mean that he is not responsible .

H2Andy:
probably ten feet away, if he continues to walk towards me wielding the knife
(much further if he's running at me), and aim to drop him (at the chest/belly)

but what on earth does this have to do with a suspect on the ground being
told to "get up" by the officer and then shot while unarmed and not advancing
towards the officer?

10 feet is too close.

It has to do with what is unknown, and experience. Do you know the suspect was being told to "get up" or is that what you heard?

A subject does not need to be advancing to be a legitimate threat.

Have you ever engaged in a "ground fight"? It's one of the best places to be if you know how to fight from that position. I was once told "if you are on the ground with a suspect and not applying the handcuffs ... you are losing".

It's a tragedy. I was not there. You were not there.

I will not second guess any LEO or soldier/marine/airman/sailor who in the heat of battle does what might appear to be heavy handed and excessive; especially when viewed from the armchair quarterback position.

'Nuff said.

Rock on. Dive well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom