self made soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've made and am about to make soft led packs. I use the short ancle stockings that my wife discards. I pore the led into the stockings twist the stocking several times bring the lead back thru the stocking and repeat this one more time ie. 3 layers of stocking covering the lead. Tie a knot and cut off the excess. I usea paint marker to identify weights. Like white for 1#, blue for 2#, red for 3#.

For $3 each, you could get 2 of each size, enough for for 28lbs of lead, for $24. I'd spend $30 to not have to look for material, find someone to sew it up, and then wait for them to sew it up. My time is worth way more than that to me :D It'd be different if I already had the material, and knew someone that would sew it up for me I guess.

Thanks Mike
Jason

jsmharley:
I have 50 pounds of #7.5 lead shot used for reloading shotgun shells. Was wondering if anyone had some input on making some of this into soft weights, was thinking of using old bicycle tubes to seal the shot in. I can weigh it out on my digital scale I use for work. Any other sugestions on material to house this in? Will be putting it into a knighthawk and ladyhawk bc btw :)

My wife made soft weights out of lead shot and an old nylon jacket. She double bagged them and they work great and were much cheaper than buying them.

Peace,

Bear

thanks for all the input, I think I will go the used panty hose route, the ole lady liked the idea, less sewing and she has a lot to get rid of.........lol

Several years ago we used a material called darlex that we found at a backpacking materials store called the Rainshed. They do have an online store for all kinds of fabrics. The darlex tends to stretch a lot but I still use them from time to time.

I think the XS Scuba pouches pack a lot of bang for the buck (buckshot?) as far as ease of use goes though.

I used the XS Scuba premade bags. I wish I had all the "small amounts" of money I wasted trying to come up with my own idea before I ordered them. I built 75 pounds worth for the family and they are nice. Much easier than cobbling something together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom