Primary & Backup Reg Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoalBoy

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just recently signed up on the message board.

Just wondering, for those diving doubles, what regulator combos do you use?

I'm now using the following setup:
reg1: jetstream(primary)
reg2: KAG(backup)

I'm considering to get a new backup & use the old backup for decos. My initial ideas are apeks atx100's or scubapros. I'm also inclined to getting another poseidon (w/c is really great, but i don't wanna put all my eggs in the same basket)

i'm particulary new to tech. and would appreciate input from the experienced divers on the board.

thanks! dive safe!

Greetings CoalBoy, not sure what part of the world you are from, of if you plan on traveling a lot for diving. You want to get regs that you can get parts/service where ever you happen to be.

I dive the same regs, I use the Atomic M1, use it for my doubles, my stages, even have have one for the mrs when she is diving (recreational). They breath very nice.

When you narrow the field, try and rent or borrow one to dive a few times before you spend your money.

You can also do a search on regs and find a lot of previous posts on the topic

Cheers

thanks for the comment 'gilless.'

well, i dive mostly here in the philippines. servicing the poseidons is not particularly a problem, my office is near the dealer, i dive in anilao, subic or puerto galera w/c all have at least 1 technical facility/resort.

my main concern is performance and reliability.

if you use the same regs on both posts, does that run the risk of both regs failing? (because they're subjected to the same conditions, i understand that you don't breath from the 2 regs all the time but still, same environmental conditions) i asked 'coz i was thinking of getting another poseidon for backup.

IMHO you don't run any greater risk of failure by having the same regs on both posts. If the reg failure is due to your environment, then you are diving the wrong equipment.

I want the same performance from every reg I have, I also want the best equipment that I am going to use to breath with. I choose the atomic M1 for a lot of reasons, but there are a lot of very good regs out there by different manufacturers.

Cheers

CoalBoy:
Hi everyone!
I just recently signed up on the message board.

Just wondering, for those diving doubles, what regulator combos do you use?

I'vs used sherwood's, zeagles an dive rites. The zeagle's and Dive-rites have been great. The only 'complaint' about the sherwood was the dry air blead causing a stream of bubbles during the bubble check.

I am moving toward dive rite based on parts availibilty for me.

Mike

great choice mike.
my backup reg is identical to the DR regs(except for the new one that has a black finish). you can check it out at:

http://www.philtech.net/Equipment/regulator.html

real simple design. i really like being able to easily disassemble the regs, especially the 2nd stages(for cleaning) which, here in the philippines, get banged up a lot my boatmen, diveguides, etc.

sloop john b, i think i can't go for matching atx100s, unless i unload my other regs. if matching regs is the way to go, i'll probly go for the 2 poseidons.

come to think of it, i have a poseidon 1st stage, a cyclon and a jetstream. maybe i can scrounge for just a first stage. 1 reg will have the cyclon, 1 will have the jetstream.

make sense?

I'm just getting into this and am going with oceanics. CDX5 w/delta3 for primary(since i already have it) and CDX5 w/GT3 for octo. I just got the GT3 today. Until I put my 95's back together I'll be using the GT3 on the necklace with the Delta as primary on single tank dives. Since I'll still be doing ow classes and my shop wants me to use a conventional setup I've also gotten an Alpha 7 w/ piston 1st stage and enviro kit. I'll probably end up using it on my stages when I get to that point along with the Brut that I have. I also have a SEA2 and a Blizzard but I think my son is going to want it when he finally gets time to dive.

CoalBoy:
sloop john b, i think i can't go for matching atx100s, unless i unload my other regs. if matching regs is the way to go, i'll probly go for the 2 poseidons.

come to think of it, i have a poseidon 1st stage, a cyclon and a jetstream. maybe i can scrounge for just a first stage. 1 reg will have the cyclon, 1 will have the jetstream.

make sense?
Not too familiar with Poseidon, but the idea (expressed previously, so I can't take credit) is to have both your regs be high performance, not necessarily matching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom