Best Regs for Extreme Cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twinnings

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi All,

Been reading this forum for a long time and happy to have finally joined.

I've read through a number of posts on cold water regs, but I'm specifically looking for the best rated set for extreme cold. I'm generally diving in temps between -1°C and 5°C.

I was most recently diving the Poseidon XStreams, but now need to be replaced. I saw the new Apeks MTX-R but didn't know if that was significantly better than their XTX200's and I've also heard the Scubapro mk25/s600 was a good setup.

I would love to hear any strong, rant-worthy opinions on the best extreme cold reg on the market right now.

Argonaut Kraken Double Hose....

ice dive stuff 042[399].JPG

If those are your true temps, I'd choose environmental sealing - either a sealed Atomic piston, or a sealed diaphragm like the XTX200 or Scubapro Mk17/19. Has your XStream EVER iced up?
The Mk25 is a great reg, and the Mk25 EVO is supposedly better when it comes to cold water, but why allow ambient into your reg at all under those conditions?
Since my "cold" is limited to 8°C, I can't speak to your situation, but that's my 2c.

Last edited:
Sealed Apeks regs are popular with people diving those temps. Don't know about the new one though.

Can't beat a double hose for cold water.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of environmentally sealed firsts and metal seconds. The navy test results are good for a bit of a benchmark...

I think the rest of our opinions are largely personal preference. Preventing freeze-up 90% (rough number) protocol and technique, I've only dove maybe a dozen regs over the years in 1° to 4°, so the performance differences are marginal due to my small sample size. Can't really make a recommendation for single hose.

I find it interesting brand loyalty for cold water regs is highly regional, it's always enjoyable to see what the Russians are diving thanks to the internet.

Cameron

Can't beat a double hose for cold water.

Cameron

Between you and @rhwestfall , that's TWO posts in one thread saying that! I love my Kraken, but I guess I'd be afraid to take it to the ice. Why? I don't know...

Why is it unbeatable?

I would love to hear any strong, rant-worthy opinions on the best extreme cold reg on the market right now.

I dive in cold water from time to time, and people around here do ice diving.

Aside from clearly unsuitable designs, like unsealed piston 1st stages, I don't think there's much meaningful difference between regulators. I use sealed diaphragm 1st stages (mixture of Hog D1s and Conshelf Supremes) and older metal Conshelf 2nd stages, and they work for me, but I don't perceive them to be materially better than anything else.

I'm not even convinced that using an "environmentally sealed" diaphragm regulator provides useful freezeup resistance, compared to a non-environmentally sealed diaphragm.

Those who are using the XTX200 up here in the cold mountain lakes enjoy the reg. Instead of the Mk25/S600 I recommend the Mk17/G260. The Mk25EVO/G260 has also performed in the cold water.

Why is it unbeatable?

Unbeatable is tough to prove, however, there are some advantages. The close coupled first and second stage makes it a great heat sink. Add to that the one way loop, exhalation vapors (moisture laden) are not imparted on the lever assembly, reducing the possibility of icing from the adiabatic cooling effect of gasses changing pressures (dry second stage). Lastly, it is a diaphragm first, which we know the success of in cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom