Best Regs for Extreme Cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly wouldn't buy the MK25- evo or no evo, specifically for freezing cold water use. If you had one and were going diving in those temps, it would probably work fine, but if you're going to buy something, make it a fully sealed diaphragm 1st stage and a metal 2nd stage for maximum heat transfer. I might go for a MK17 and a used balanced/adjustable. There are plenty of those around and easy to rebuild.

The doublehose would be a great choice because both stages are essentially sealed, as Luis pointed out. Basically, all the depressurization of air (which generates the freezing) takes place in the can, sealed off from water and moist exhaled air. But diving with a doublehose is a different experience. If you want to go that route, you might really enjoy it, but there is a learning curve and it does change other things in your set up.

I have done Ice diving with poseidon triton and with apeks atx200. Neither of them has ever freeflown or had any problems. Apeks is really great reg and same reg has served me faithfully 14 years (about 220 dives)

Back
Top Bottom