Primary & Backup Reg Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO primary and secondary regs do not necessarily need to be exactly the same but it certainly does help if they are from the same mfg series. This also goes for for deco/stage regs. The reason being is that it makes it easier to field fix. The field being either under or above the water. That said all of my back gas regs are of one brand and type and all of my deco are of another brand and type.

The other important issue is that no matter the regs be for back, stage, or deco gas all should be DIN (perferably) or yoke.

I have dive rites on my doubles. So far, so good.

I agree with the idea of the same regs for backgas and deco regs matching using all the same connections (DIN). I have TX100's for my back gas and love them, can't stress it enough, LOVE THEM. So with my girlfriend wanted to start following me deep we found her a set as well before her tech class.

Then for deco regs I use the "Dive Rite" regs. Same reg different face plate. They breath really well and I was pleasantly surprised. As much air as you could want, but they just weren't as smooth as my Apeks.

But everyone has a preference about the regs to use, I just know I have had my Apeks deep with air, trimix, warm water and cold water and have never had a problem with them. Just keep them serviced, treat them right and they'll treat you right.

Good luck.

hi everyone!

my original concern was for the reg combination for my back gas.

there is no issue about the fitting. i dive DIN most of the time (i now get queasy when using tanks with yoke connection. hehehe. :D)

thanks for all the great input!!!

with regards to the decos, i would still prefer to use different regs, different brands. reason being, i can identify the tanks by the feel of the 1st and 2nd stages (not just by the color,tags,etc.). just added precaution for the paranoid (like me :11:)

Since you're already a Poseidon fan & concerned with reliability, the Cyklon can withstand brutal abuse that would send most other regs flying in pieces.
As far as simplicity, you can tear down the 2nd stage with little more than a stout thumbnail. The 2nd stage Cyklons used to be considered "user serviceable" & you'd get a set of o-rings for it (all 3 of them :wink: ) when buying a new reg.

...Poseidon fan? meee? (you noticed? hehehe :D)

i used to rent regs for the usual weekend diving, so i got to try so many diiff regs. it was when my IANTD Ean instructor had me use the cyklons. i was sold on it on the first breath! the only problem was it was "cost prohibitive" for me then, as i was in college. now, i got my own, and wanna set 'em up.

i'm diving with 'em as aften as i can and learning to do the maintenace/cleaning myself. the regs are kinda tricky. very different innards from all other regs i tried.

Thanks for the input!

MK25/S600 Primary, MK20/G250HP secondary. I have an instructor who is a huge Poseidon fan. He makes fun of the knobs on the Scubapros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom