Buying Regs-LDS vs, Internet, vs. "Gray Market"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how about this;
titan regulator;
octopus
2 gauge console
spectrum bcd
5 mm neosport wet suit-or a 3mm neosport if you like
list $1137..sell $925..pretty sure these are the numbers,not in the store now to check.
upgrade to a computer and we throw in a compass onto console..
can pm me if interested..located in nyc...full authorized dealer..
this is a good set up for the vacation diver

oly5050user:
how about this;
titan regulator;
octopus
2 gauge console
spectrum bcd
list $1137..sell $925..pretty sure these are the numbers,not in the store now to check.

What is your shop website address? :)

Take a look around, compare prices. I have Atomic, which is much more expensive then you want to spend and you have to buy it at the dive shop to keep the warranty. The Aeris regs are great, and you can get some less expensive then the $1200 you were quoted. Check out the deals at crazyscuba.com. They are authorized dealers for their stuff.

I'm not sure if oly5050 is selling aqualung online or not, but it won't be warrantied if it is sold online. Personally I want a great warranty on my life support equipment! ACK!

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

ScubaDivaDivemaster:
Personally I want a great warranty on my life support equipment!
Yeah, me too. That way, if it fails and I die, my heirs will be able to get the equipment replaced or repaired free of charge.

Something that I'm surprised no one has brought up: cost of ownership. Some brands have replacement parts that cost more than others; some brands, such as Mares, come with free parts. The cost of ownership is something you'll experience when you treat your gear to the annual service it deserves. :)

oly5050user:
how about this;
titan regulator;
octopus
2 gauge console
spectrum bcd

I figure that is up to $400 more that what you could get such a package for from a
grey market dealer. Is that "full authorized dealer" label worth that price difference?

Note: Wherever a specific model was not specified, I went with the least expensive option. Higher priced octo, gauges, or BC could easily reduce the price difference by $100.

awap:
I figure that is up to $400 more that what you could get such a package for from a
grey market dealer. Is that "full authorized dealer" label worth that price difference?

Note: Wherever a specific model was not specified, I went with the least expensive option. Higher priced octo, gauges, or BC could easily reduce the price difference by $100.

Wow... It is tough world to do business on the net. A wise man compared the price already....:wink:

scubagirl15:
Something that I'm surprised no one has brought up: cost of ownership. Some brands have replacement parts that cost more than others; some brands, such as Mares, come with free parts. The cost of ownership is something you'll experience when you treat your gear to the annual service it deserves. :)

Cost of ownership should be a consideration but, unfortunately, the answer is not simple. Purchasing some brands of regulators from authorized dealers may qualify you for free parts for life as long as you have your regs serviced at their set service interval (typically annually) by an authorized dealer. While there can be quite a bit of variance I estimate this gets you about $25 worth of parts (wholesale, $50 retail) in exchange for about $75 worth of labor cost. If you plan to abide by the mfgr recommended service interval, higher prices from authorized dealers should be recouped in the matter of a few years. But if you stretch your service cycle to 2 years or more and pay both parts and labor, you would expect to reduce service costs. I do my own servicing on my scubapro regs. I'm having to use a service kit on each regulator stage only about every 4 to 5 years. So even paying 100% to 200% markup on kits, my cost of ownership is less than $20 per year for a full set (1st stage & two 2nd stages).

awap:
Cost of ownership should be a consideration but, unfortunately, the answer is not simple. Purchasing some brands of regulators from authorized dealers may qualify you for free parts for life as long as you have your regs serviced at their set service interval (typically annually) by an authorized dealer. While there can be quite a bit of variance I estimate this gets you about $25 worth of parts (wholesale, $50 retail) in exchange for about $75 worth of labor cost. If you plan to abide by the mfgr recommended service interval, higher prices from authorized dealers should be recouped in the matter of a few years. But if you stretch your service cycle to 2 years or more and pay both parts and labor, you would expect to reduce service costs. I do my own servicing on my scubapro regs. I'm having to use a service kit on each regulator stage only about every 4 to 5 years. So even paying 100% to 200% markup on kits, my cost of ownership is less than $20 per year for a full set (1st stage & two 2nd stages).

Agreed: never said cost of ownership was the deal maker or breaker.

As for servicing your own equipment, most folks have neither the interest nor the time for that. I would venture to guess that Susan6868 and her husband fall into that category.

She also plans to dive mostly in salt water. That stuff will kill your gear fast, so I'm not sure stretching the service cycle is a good idea.

scubagirl15:
Agreed: never said cost of ownership was the deal maker or breaker.

As for servicing your own equipment, most folks have neither the interest nor the time for that. I would venture to guess that Susan6868 and her husband fall into that category.

She also plans to dive mostly in salt water. That stuff will kill your gear fast, so I'm not sure stretching the service cycle is a good idea.

I agree, few folks are really willing to DIY. Others may not want to do the "annual service" but might want to learn some of the basics about diagnostics, troubleshooting, and minor adjustments so they don't have to go to the tech every time it bubbles or starts breathing a little harder. I really don't see the necessity to service more often if you dive SW rather than FW unless you are not taking proper care of your equipment. Keep water out of where it should not be - SW is more damaging than FW in those places. Do not allow salt deposits to form and set on your regs. Do a good job of cleaning (soaking) your regs when you are finished the dive trip. I do have one reg that only sees FW but the rest mostly are exposed to SW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom