Buying Regs-LDS vs, Internet, vs. "Gray Market"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Gang-
My husband and I are ready to finally buy regs and started out at our LDS. He only showed us Scubapro equipment, and put together a package of 1st and 2nd stage, octo, and console computer. Came to about $1200. each so we thought we'd shop it a little bit. We live in New York and close to a place called "Liesurepro". Seems like they get a lot of attention on the boards, as well as in the diving community because they're prices are great but their procurement of the produxts questionable?
Okay, so then you see scuba.com out of California, and they claim to offer full manufacturer warranties, yikes!
Can anyone offer advice as far as ehrer to buy equipment if you know what you want and would rather not pay top dollar, but would still like ot have a warranty?
I've got a feeling we're going to wind up at the LDS because we like them but I've als got a feeling we're gonna pay dearly for that warm fuzzy!
What do you think?

Scubapro is great stuff,but if you are a "vacation diver" does your dive shop sell any other brands which will allow you high quality gear for less price?

Ah, there's the rub! The LDS tells us you'll pay more for the Scubapro but you'll never have to buy another reg. Your reply (thanks) is very intuative. We ARE receational divers in the truest sense. Only a few times a year, (we'll do 50 dives in a good year) ONLY 100 ft. deep or less, ONLY warm water........AND, we're in our late 40's, so although I hope to keep diving for the next 30 years, it's probably unlikely!
We love the convenience (and safety) of the computer, and thought since we're buying anyway, we might as well include it in the console.
I'm going to visit a larger LDS today and run this all by them, see what they recommend, and then I guess compare pricing on the other retailers I mentioned.
I'd still like to stay with an LDS but I wondered if it turns out there's a bundle to be saved, what would be the harm. (PS- I wouldn't rule out the LDS for $100. a setup but when it's like $300. a piece and there are two of us- it's hard not to consider the other buying options!)
Thanks for the thought, I will research more economical brands- any suggestions on who makes a good, reliable regulaor for us lightweights?
Thanks so much for your help.
Thank goodness for these boards!

Susan,

As you have not mentioned which computer the LDS included, nor which regs the guy was trying to sell you, and as the cost of some SP computers varies upwards of $700-$900 per computer depending on their features, number of transmitters, etc., with an upper end computer and top of the line regs $1200 per person might be a reasonable deal.

Much depends on how much time you're willing to invest in researching your purchases. For example, there are a large number of threads on SB going back over the past four years discussing this precise situation. (You can find these threads by using the Search button, third from the right on the control bar beneath where it says "Welcome, Susan6868" at the top of this page. You can narrow your search by clicking on 'Advanced Search' and using keywords such as your regs and or computer, but "LDS versus Online" should keep you busy for awhile...)

You will find that by buying the exact same items online you are likely to save between $600-$900. The prices will vary from product to product, but online purchasing can save as much as 50% over retail price in a LDS.

So, the question becomes "sure, you like your LDS, but do you like them well enough to pay $600-$900 more for the products you want to buy than you could pay for the precise same products online?"

(There are other issues, such as "where will I take my new regs for their annual service?", or "why don't we get weeny computers or bottom timers and put the extra $$ towards regs", however, one moral dilemma at a time...)

If you live close to Leisure Pro I strongly recommend you go check them out in terms of products and prices. Many SB participants have had success dealing with Leisure Pro.

You can only be as taken advantage of as you allow yourself to be. If you are going to pay huge to support the monthly overhead of your friendly neighborhood LDS, at the very least I would think you would like to be aware of exactly how taken advantage of you were.

Best of luck with your research,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Susan,

Actually $1200 for that equipment for two people is a very reasonable deal.

I think she said $1200 each.

I am curious what other brands her dive shop represents. I find a lot of dive shops will push scubapro which I don't know if that is to fill a quota.

You're right, my bad. It's early and no coffee yet!

Evenso, $1200 each may be a decent price for top of the line regs and high-end computer. As you've already pointed out, however, why buy top of the line equipment and let it sit in the closet all year whenever you're not actually on vacation?

It's quite likely that mid-line Oceanic or Zeagle equipment could be purchased for significantly lower upfront cost per person.

FWIW...

Perhaps the Mk2/R190 combination may be a better choice if sticking with Scubapro

Susan,
I bought my reg setup with a BC and wrist computer this year from leisure pro (internet, I live in Canada) and saved 100% of the price it would have amounted to at my LDS! I like my LDS, and would love to support them... But I could not afford to give them the extra 1100$ it would have cost me!:shakehead :shakehead

I've had great success with Leisurpro and they've assured me they would honour the warranty on my gear if I had problems... And even if they didn't, the price saving would permit me to buy a whole new setup if it when bad!!!:popcorn: :popcorn:

This said, I felt bad bypassing my LDS... But I didn't have a choice... I think you need to go see Leisure pro, at least to see their prices (even if you decide not to buy there) and get an Idea of how much you could save... You could also give your LDS a chance to meet their prices (who knows???:huh: :huh: ) and buy from them...

Also, another question... Are you sure you want your computer on your console? At first I though I would like that too... Then I realized I like it much better on my wrist where I can check it in a flash (well, lets just say checking my console takes a tad longer and more effort than my wrist). I finally went for watch style computer and don't regret it... Just food for thought!

Just my 0.02$ Good luck with your decisions!:coffee:

So much great information! I have ventured to Leisurepro in Manhattan. Not what you would expect, (it's small, dark, and not much on dislpay) but the guy who helped me was in fact a diver and he was very helpful. I have nothing at all against them, I think I got the creeps from an LDS last year who warned me against buying from them. (Should have thought about his motivation and put two and two together!)
The greatest thing I think I got from all your posts is that for the type of diver I am, I can probably find better choices in gear to fit my budget. As I mentioned, I was shown the Scubapro S550 along with the Uwatech Aladin Prime 3-
I'm not sure what my budget is, but I do know that $1200 EACH is too much for our reg setups even with computer. (We're lightweights, after all!)
If anyone has a beand and model they feel is reasonable, comfortable and reliable, let me know. Even better, a computer that's "simple stupid" would be perfect. I've tried both, but the console seems more natural to me than the wrist type. (I'm probably in the minority on that one!)
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

susan6868:
I'm not sure what my budget is, but I do know that $1200 EACH is too much for our reg setups even with computer. (We're lightweights, after all!)
If anyone has a beand and model they feel is reasonable, comfortable and reliable, let me know. Even better, a computer that's "simple stupid" would be perfect. I've tried both, but the console seems more natural to me than the wrist type. (I'm probably in the minority on that one!)
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Hi Susan. $1200 is a big bite for divers that are just occasional divers. Many buyers have found satisfaction out of going to local dive stores that also have an internet presence and a different business model than the typical local dive store. I operate one of those. All of the services of a local dive store, with excellent customer support for customers that purchase from a distance. There are several such stores. There are LOTS of excellent options for regulator set-ups, with dive computers, that will cost you MUCH less than what your previous post indicated, and still allow you all of the benefits of buying from a small, local store. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Back
Top Bottom