Looking for recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I really like the way the Hogarthian setup looks. I'm not sure, only having one-arm, that I could be totally DIR. I like the extended regulator hose and the secondary regulator "necklaced" around my neck and handless to reach.

I'm 6' 6" and and currently 315lbs. I'm starting an exercise program and hope to get down to 260 or 270lbs.

I'd like recommendations for a back plate, harness, wing and etc setup. I'm not going to purchase anything for awhile as I just found out my wife is pregnant. I'm sure almost everyone has experienced that! I'm gong to slowly save up as much as I can and while doing so, educate myself on all the options and compare the products that will be best for myself.

Again, I only have one-arm, my left arm was amputated in 1990. I do "okay" at diving, being I've only dove 14 times thus far. I'm not wanting to go technical, I just want to make myself a little more stream lined and I feel the less "clutter" I have, the better I will dive. I love my weight intergrated BC, but it makes me feel "bunched up". If that make sense.

I looked at a "Dive Rite" BC at a LDS in Orange Beach and it was exactly what I feel I am looking for. So, this is where all that reads this comes in. Preferably with a lot of experience. :) Just suggestions, comments, and gear recommendations and maybe why this one over a different one.

Thanks,

Michael

Contact Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. cool_hardware_52 I believe on this board. He makes a variety of plates and wings (which are very nice) and he's great to deal with. His plates come in different sizes based on height/weight.
http://www.deepseasupply.com/index.html

Obviously you'll need to have your SPG on the right side.

How about the inflator hose? Many of us use a pretty short inflator, on the left shoulder. That might be a problem for you. I bet if you're real nice to Tobin he'll send you a short and a long inflator hose with a wing purchase and you could try some various lengths and routings. You could come over the right shoulder with a short hose, or come over the left with a slightly longer hose that you can then use with your right hand.

You might consider putting a canister light on the left hip, routing the cord under the long hose to your right hand. Finding someone relatively experienced with a Hog setup to dive with a bit could help you see how to move things around.

Dive on!

mwhities:
I really like the way the Hogarthian setup looks. I'm not sure, only having one-arm, that I could be totally DIR. I like the extended regulator hose and the secondary regulator "necklaced" around my neck and handless to reach.
Thanks,
Michael

I use a FredT backplate (I' 6.5 ft tall) & love it, I also use Zeagle Rangers & Tech's, I currently have a OMS Dual bladder wing & have an inflator on both shoulders.
Dont worry about being DIR...take your time and come up with a system that works and is comfortable for you. Working with a local Dive shop would be good place to start as they could assess your strong side and work to outfit you accordingly.
Best of luck in your quest!

Just off the top of my head (in addition to things already mentioned):

1) You'd want to work out how to deploy your long hose while switching to your backup reg bungeed under your chin. I know some people are able to "scoop" for the secondary by dipping their chin and getting access. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to your secondary until the out of air diver had taken ahold of you primary.

2) Spg: It may work if you clip off your SPG on your left chest d-ring, thereby not needing to unclip and re-clip the SPG to see it

3) Gauges would obviously all be on your right wrist / forearm, so no worries there.

4) With the traditional rear dump valve on the left, this would be unreachable. Getting a custom wing with the dump on the right might be possible and would allow you to get to it with your right hand.

5) You would want your knife on your right side so it's easier to reach, this could help as a 'long hose keeper' as well.

Not sure if you are going to be night diving, in that case things would get more complex in terms of light usage while being able to handle the other pieces of gear. Task loading would be increased.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. HTH.

Bjorn

rjack321:
Contact Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. cool_hardware_52 I believe on this board. He makes a variety of plates and wings (which are very nice) and he's great to deal with. His plates come in different sizes based on height/weight.

I agree, give Tobin a holler,
I've had the honor of diving with a gentlemen who was a amputatee, (right arm) for him it was just a matter of reconfiguring his rig, he was a great diver too,
Good luck with it, btw I too dive with a BP/W too, Dive Rite,

rjack321:

Obviously you'll need to have your SPG on the right side.

How about the inflator hose? Many of us use a pretty short inflator, on the left shoulder. That might be a problem for you. I bet if you're real nice to Tobin he'll send you a short and a long inflator hose with a wing purchase and you could try some various lengths and routings. You could come over the right shoulder with a short hose, or come over the left with a slightly longer hose that you can then use with your right hand.

You might consider putting a canister light on the left hip, routing the cord under the long hose to your right hand. Finding someone relatively experienced with a Hog setup to dive with a bit could help you see how to move things around.

Dive on!

I did contact Tobin in a PM and he suggested the long plate for my height. I'll check out different options and see what might fit better. I only have one LDS and they don't carry any hog harnesses or plates of any sorts. All full jacket style bcs. I guess I need to find someone that I can meet up with or talk extensively on the phone with about options and equipment.

Thanks,

Michael

Slipstrm:
I use a FredT backplate (I' 6.5 ft tall) & love it, I also use Zeagle Rangers & Tech's, I currently have a OMS Dual bladder wing & have an inflator on both shoulders.
Dont worry about being DIR...take your time and come up with a system that works and is comfortable for you. Working with a local Dive shop would be good place to start as they could assess your strong side and work to outfit you accordingly.
Best of luck in your quest!

I've looked at the Zeagle's after I noticed a few people using them at Morrison's Spring in Florida. Looked really nice. Dual bladder, is that just a bladder inside a bladder or is it say a bladder on each side? (Ignorance is bliss. :p)

I'm not to worried about DIR, I just want to get better bottom time (SAC) and have less clutter on my person. No LDS here that I think support back plates and etc.... I know a few in Florida I can go to.

Thanks,

Michael

jeckyll:
Just off the top of my head (in addition to things already mentioned):

1) You'd want to work out how to deploy your long hose while switching to your backup reg bungeed under your chin. I know some people are able to "scoop" for the secondary by dipping their chin and getting access. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to your secondary until the out of air diver had taken ahold of you primary.

2) Spg: It may work if you clip off your SPG on your left chest d-ring, thereby not needing to unclip and re-clip the SPG to see it

3) Gauges would obviously all be on your right wrist / forearm, so no worries there.

4) With the traditional rear dump valve on the left, this would be unreachable. Getting a custom wing with the dump on the right might be possible and would allow you to get to it with your right hand.

5) You would want your knife on your right side so it's easier to reach, this could help as a 'long hose keeper' as well.

Not sure if you are going to be night diving, in that case things would get more complex in terms of light usage while being able to handle the other pieces of gear. Task loading would be increased.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. HTH.

Bjorn

Regs: I have looked into this a quite a bit and I really like the idea behind. Just being able to is the question. Should I purchase a new set up regs for this or just use the ones I have currently?

SPG: Should I keep my SPG with it? (I just recently purchased a VT3, I guess that's bad for DIR eh?) With my current BC, I was going to have it clipped between my harness straps with retractors on my chest. So it wouldn't dangle and I could easily grab it and look. (I guess with the second reg there, necklaced, it would be in the way.) I guess I need to rethink.

Gauges: I guess I could or get my buddy to help me strap my VT3 (and other gauges) to my arm. I'm trying to do this myself as much as possible without any help donning gear and etc.

Dump valve: Yeah, I'd definitely would need to get a modified one to accommodate that.

Knife: I currently have a pair of shears clipped to my chest strap (harness) and the bottom part of it is strapped to the harness (as to not dangle). I guess a small knife will be fine.

Night dive: I plan to try some night dives, but I want to go through the AOW/Level 2 OW/insert what you call it here and get the night dive specialty.

Thank you so much for the thoughts and recommendations. It's really helpful.

Michael

divemaster_jim:
rjack321:

I agree, give Tobin a holler,
I've had the honor of diving with a gentlemen who was a amputatee, (right arm) for him it was just a matter of reconfiguring his rig, he was a great diver too,
Good luck with it, btw I too dive with a BP/W too, Dive Rite,

Ahh, did you happen to get any contact info from him? I'd really like to talk with him about his setup. (Also, was he diving with BP/W as well?)

Thanks,

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom