• 500 - 1000 - I'm a diving guru

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • 1000+ I taught Cousteau

Votes: 25 3.6%
  • 2000+ Cousteau, that whipper snapper

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 3000+ I dived with the dinosaurs

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • 0 - I don't have any idea how many dives I've made.

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be like me. Log your dives. I got lazy... that plus losing several hundreds of dives when my hard drive failed on me and yeah, no back-up. I can always claim that I have over 1000 dives but I cannot prove it.

Last year, it was more than 300 dives.

And oh, a log book is a nice way to collect contact information. :)

I've been OW cert for about a year and a half and have 5 logged dives. (4 during class and one with a buddy) I'd hoping to get a few more in this spring and summer.

On a second note--I'll probably record pool dives, but not count them towards my total.

thanks

joe

I have logs dating back to the 1970's, but more than how many logged dives one has, I think it's important to collect the information about the dive. I'm going to open another thread devoted to dive logs, and what information is collected, rather than how many dives have been done.

SeaRat

I usually log the dive number, max depth, time, who i was with and where i was. After that, I just keep a little diving diary of sorts - what I did on the dive, where we went on the dive, what I saw, anything funny/scary/stupid/notable. I pretty much write out the whole dive as I remember it so that I can look back on it and remember everything that happened on the dive.

dvleemin once bubbled...
Who the heck was done more than 3000 dives???? Thats incredible. Do they have gills yet?

I know a bunch of people who do.. Most dive masters probably do.. If they worked it as a job for a while.. They average around 300-400 a year. And anyone diving 15-20 yrs.

This thread made me take a look at some of my old log books. It wasn't the 300+ dives that I had logged that got me thinking, it was all the ones I didn't bother to log or even better, the ones I didn't log on purpose that really got me thinking!

dsgobie once bubbled...

I know a bunch of people who do.. Most dive masters probably do.. If they worked it as a job for a while.. They average around 300-400 a year. And anyone diving 15-20 yrs.

You mean like 2 or maybe 3?

Put it in perspective - very active divers - pretty much abandoning all else in there lives, may do 150-200 dives per year. But lets give the benefit of the doubt and just say 200 (the top end). That's a minimum of 4 dives every weekend, every single weekend for the entire year. And since the weather is not always cooperative and other personal issues will come up a weekend here and there, you'll have to do 8 dives on some weekends. Ever try 8 decent dives with the appropriate amount of surface interval, and assuming Enriched Air so you aren't so wasted you can show up for work on Monday. Bottom line on some weekends you'd have to put it double overtime (or more) to keep the pace. Anyway that's 200 dives a year - sustained for 15 straight years. And if you cut back to half that pace that's 30 years. Assuming you start diving around 18 years of age your 50 when you get done and it would be questionable whether you could keep that rigorous pace for that extended a period of time, even if you lived on the beach, and were independantly wealthy, you could never slack off and never rest.

Unless the people you know are in commercial diving, I would have trouble believing you know "A Bunch" of divers with over 3,000 dives.

I know one diver, whom I've met personally who has actually done 15,000+ dives. And the man LIVES underwater, he dives every single day the weather permits, and when things are really good, he goes in the water 5 or 6 times a day. He has sustained this pace for many decades, and is getting much older and unable to continue the pace.

Its maybe the number-cruncher in me, but does anyone else find the stats a bit surprising ?

More than half the responders have 100 or less dives, do you think this is representative of the dive community ?

Then again, being a warm water coward living in the UK, I can only hope to log between 20 or 40 dives a year, so worse case scenario is it takes 5 years to hit 100 dives.

55 Dives since being certified March 2002.
45 of these were ocean dives - mostly Mozambique, the rest fresh water.
Was off for 8 weeks now due to neck fusion, but will be back in the water soon.

My wife has done 24 since certification August 2002.

We try to get to the coast at least once a month (usually 5-7 dives) and dive in a local quarry inbetween.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom