Scubapro vs. Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H:
I don’t know what could be different between does two regulators, but I thought that it was well known that a metal second stage will condense some of the exhaled moisture. This moisture will in turn help humidify the inhaled air.

Dry mouth is one of the disadvantages of plastic second stages.

Dry mouth has been a prob way before the plastic reg, it was covered in my OW course over 20years ago. The fact that MissD has a prob now is (I think) because she has a better reg with a better air supply and quicker responce, the fix is (I found) to breath with your tongue to the roof of your mouth. The harder you work underwater the faster you breath and the more likely you are to have dry mouth.

RJP:
How on earth can one regulator cause dry mouth and another one not? Do other regulators have some sort of humidification feature I'm not familiar with?

Assuming that a reg doesn't leak it simply delivers the bone dry air from the tank. Can't see how one reg can be better or worse on this measure, though am opened to being enlightened on the topic.

Some of the newer regs like the AQ has an ajustment on it that will make the air shoot down your throat, more dryer air faster.

Just my 2psi :)
I use the same reg as MissD

OK, i am not a %100 sure about what i am going to say but i did hear it from someone that knows what he's doing.

the way the air enters the inside of your second stage from the hose will either make it dry or moisturised, if it flows in a certain way it will create moisture.

Now i am not sure about what i just wrote, but it sounds viable!!

soudan:
OK, i am not a %100 sure about what i am going to say but i did hear it from someone that knows what he's doing.

the way the air enters the inside of your second stage from the hose will either make it dry or moisturised, if it flows in a certain way it will create moisture.

Now i am not sure about what i just wrote, but it sounds viable!!
:D

I think the prob is warm VS cold air, our sinuses warm the air we breath, when down under we bypass our sinuses, I don't think we want moist air under presure at depth.
But I'm not 100% on this myself.

I do know with my new reg, the AQ if I turn the knob that controles the air flow tube inside the 2stage (I don't know its name) I get dry mouth faster, IMO it is because the air spends less time in the 2stage, by turning the knob it changes the direction of air flow making it come strait out of the reg instead of going tord the back first. Dose that make any since at all?

Missdirected:
Honestly, all I can tell you is every time I have been diving with the new reg that is a problem. Take it or leave it, like it or not.

since you are bound now to your new reg. think about adding Apollo Bio-Filter (moisturizing add-on to the reg. 2nd stage "check it on http://apollo-sports.com/"; it will help alot but incorporates higher maintenance though.
:popcorn:

I do service work on both regs AL is much easer to fine tune the first stage than SP. If your AL is not breathing easy it needs to be adjusted.

Just my 2 psi worth.

AllanHarr:
I've owned products from both companies. Scuba pro wins hands down 100%. Atomic is worth a look too.
Would u care to give more details about how scubapro is a better reg?? does it allow u to stay longer underwater or anything like that?

As another data point, from (hire) scubapro Mk2/R190 I get horrible dry mouth, but aqualung calypso (or any other reg) it's not so bad.

I've no idea why this is the case.

Patty:
As another data point, from (hire) scubapro Mk2/R190 I get horrible dry mouth, but aqualung calypso (or any other reg) it's not so bad.

I've no idea why this is the case.

==========================================

It's inherent to their name ...Aqua ...Lung

Well, not really ...but I couldn't help myself (and I do use AL Regs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom