Do you like diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear ya on that one. I'm not into pretty fish and reefs. I understand their appeal, but if you gave my $5,000, I wouldn't go on an Carribean dive vacation. I would probably charter a small boat, rent a cheap, flea ridden motel room, and go dive the wrecks of the Great Lakes. I like the challange of diving, the contempt of nature- to be in a place that physics says I shouldn't be.

I'll dive socially with friends, but they are practice dives for me. I might lead a group of OW divers around the quarry, but I'm wearing doubles and carrying more gas than the rest of the group combined.

Overall, I'm more interested in the results, but I enjoy the process as well.

It depends on why I'm diving that day. If I'm sight seeing I enjoy watching all the underwater wonders. If I am practicing skills I enjoy the sence of acomplishment. I think I enjoy both equally well.

Yeah i love 5am starts, being cold and wet after every dive, having 4hr drives per day and washing/drying kit all the time......

I suspect if they banned wreck diving i'd give up fairly quickly. Fish bore me.

Yes, I love diving! I've been diving for 20 years and after diving around the world, can honestly say I'm just as excited now, as when I started, about just being able to get wet, enjoying the sensation of being weightless, and breathing underwater. I dive in lakes, rivers, and the ocean...often in less than perfect visibility but find it fascinating each time I go.

I think this is a GREAT question!

I will come forward and confess that there was a time that I DID NOT enjoy diving.

Here's the short version:
  1. Wanted to dive starting as a small child watching Cousteau on TV
  2. Snorkled/free-dove my way through childhood. If there was water I was in it.
  3. OW and AOW at age 14
  4. Bought gear and enthusiastically dove every mud-puddle I could find.
  5. Poor gear configuration, poor location, and lack of mentors resulted in loss of enthusiasm
  6. Years past with little to no diving
  7. Enter the Internet: Found mentors and endless resources
  8. With the help of everyone here the problems that resulted in the loss of enthusiasm were identified and eliminated.
  9. Enthusiasm has returned thanks to:
    • Gear overhaul - Now gear works as a system
    • Mentors - Friends found here who've been very helpful
    • Diving the ocean after all these years of fresh-water
    • This place

The biggest things during my 'lull' were location (nothing interesting to see) and my gear, which was a big mess because I was just a kid who got bad advice and didn't know any better.

Now that I've got a kit that works as a system and I've started diving interesting places it's... well, heaven. :D I just wish I hadn't lost those years in the middle.

-Ben

Ive kinda fallen out of love with it the last few months, havent dived or felt motivatd to dive since last summer!! Im going to egypt next week and Im hoping that some warmer water will get me motivated again for diving and teaching diving.

I love diving. I am ready to give up everything in the present life to start training to be a dm.

I must:
- It's the only reason I get up early on a day off.
- I spend a lot of money on it and don't feel like I've wasted a dime.
- It brings me and my girlfriend together in far away lands.
- I enjoy the people we meet when diving.
- I am always learning something new.
- I am always thinking about the next dive vacation.

Dave (aka :Squirt")

U-hu.

I could just hover in 6 feet of water above silt and enjoy myself. I am heading for my first tropical dive vacation, and am a bit worried whether that’s going to be “a thing” for me either - or am I going to find it too crowded and overwhelming. Like not the diving I am used to. I just like being in the water, I like tasks and stuff, I don’t want all that much distraction. I like being out of touch with the surface world a bit. One wreck is enough, what if all those critters are too much??!

But yeah, I am really hooked on diving. I got hooked during the OW course and it has been relentless since.

Back
Top Bottom