Make your case: Best US city for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a feeling this is going to go badly for me but.....

Buffalo, NY (Not exactly tourist central)

Where you can drift dive down the Niagara River, dive in one of the 5 largest freshwater lakes in the world, dive perfectly intact wrecks from the 1800's, not that far to the ocean, or you can dive in Canada within minutes. Oh, almost forgot ice diving.

Let the beatings begin :)

Pompano Beach. Great diving right there. Shore diving is close at Lauderdale by-the-Sea. Keys are a day trip, so is Jupiter for spear fishing. It may be a bit expensive if you moved there, but California or Hawaii are more costly. Only one minus: Hurricanes.

OHGoDive:
Columbus, OH...

You'd be amazed at how many "worst of" contests that we manage at least a bronze medal in.

Well, maybe you wouldn't be that amazed... :(
I was going to post this as a joke, but actually you might be surprised to find that OHIO is the 5th largest state in the country in terms of number of certified divers, and it is the largest land locked state in the country in terms of # of certified divers. And in all honesty between quarries and the proximity to the Great Lakes it could be a lot worse.

Lil' Irish Temper:
I have a feeling this is going to go badly for me but.....

Buffalo, NY (Not exactly tourist central)

Where you can drift dive down the Niagara River, dive in one of the 5 largest freshwater lakes in the world, dive perfectly intact wrecks from the 1800's, not that far to the ocean, or you can dive in Canada within minutes. Oh, almost forgot ice diving.

Let the beatings begin :)

Sorry but if we are going Great Lakes region it has to be Brockville or Tobermory :D

I lived in Toronto and had some fun times in Buffalo but never considered it a dive mecca :shakehead

Cheers.

-J.-

Mo2vation:
Once again, you show wisdom beyond your years, Cat.

SoCal is not a city. Although it has borders (don't make me bust out the geography lesson again...)

SoCal is not a city. Although is has people living in it.

SoCal is the best dive destination. To simply relegate it to cityhood and put it into the same category as Irvine or Monterey or Honolulu would insulting to SoCal.

I retract my first post. SoCal is so much more than a mere city.

---
Ken
Spoken like a true Californian.

Pensacola for sure. Gulf waters and tons o wrecks beside the O and a hour drive from vortex , morrison and cypress springs.

Right here in the Great lakes. You get awesome preserviblity and icy temperatures. This is men's diving. Reef diving is nice, but a true diver's paradise is either in a cave or on a shipwreck. Some of the best shipwrecks are located in the Great Lakes and they are not torn apart by the salt water.

Definitely aint Houston although one of the dive rags rated it in the top 10 in the last few years. It is nice having a big airport here... lots of diving is accessible and the Caribbean is close.... Only 2 hours to Cozumel any day of the week you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom