Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am gonna wait for the newness and crowds to go down a bit. That 1st weekend being a holiday I will bet it will be very crowded and make the diving less than optimal! Just like when a new highly popular eating establishment opens or a long anticipated movie is released, it is always better to let the crazies get there first and get it over with.

Hope for you that I am wrong and that you have good dives.

Cindy

Just passed through the park on my way by on I-10 and the only thing that looks to be done are.....

Picnic tables under the pavilion (nice fans to keep things cool in the summer)

Paving from the Security gate and the road (Dirt road right now and might stay that way)

there is construction trash outside the bathroom house like there was work done inside of that, Not sure what is left inside but looks to be complete outside.

All the Grass is also laid down.....

This is a REAL good looking park!!!!! It is HARD to believe that it is the same spring and the floating entry dock isn't close enough to the exit of the spring to have the local kids jump in on our heads.

I can't say enough how NICE the place looks!!!!!!

Hey Everyone,

I just talked to Christopher Mitchell, Walton County Public Information Officer about the status of the park being open on sept 1st. He was extremely helpful in giving an update on the phone about what was going on in the park.

Looks like there will be a delay in it being opened by a week or two.

The reason was that they don't have the water ready for the bathrooms/showers yet and they don't want to have to put a bunch of porta-potties out in a nice new facility. They are digging a well at the site for the bathrooms and also have to complete the plumbing connections, etc, get it working/tested/etc.

There are some other final cleanups, etc that need to be done and work crews were moved to other parts of the county to deal with cleaning up debris from the recent Tropical Storm Fay that has battered the area.

So he expects the delay to be a week or two in opening, but hasn't heard a final/official word from the comissioners yet on an exact date.

He said he is going to try to send an "update email" out to people and I asked that he add me to the distribution. If I get the update, I'll post it here.

They will make an announcement about a week before the "grand opening" for the exact date also he said.

Hope this is usefull to everyone.

-Mike

Looks like there will be a delay in it being opened by a week or two.

Why am I not surprised...

I'd be surprised if it's done by Vortoberfest.

Thanks Mike for the info... I have tried to stop by on my return trips from Jacksonville.

The last time I was there, there were a few trucks back at the boat ramp and a truck full of locals who were jumping off the dock and doing back flips off the railing.... that's one hell of a drop.... but one nice feature as the water rises and falls the floating dock will adjust to the rising water.

OVER all people should like the park.. My bet.... it's going to be VERY crowded when it first opens up.... The opening isn't that large... it's a little larger than Blue Springs south of Deland but the opening is deeper.

Looking forward to see you all there at one time or another... I'll have to dive it this winter..... :) Get the HOT chocolate ready!!!

Latest and greatest on Morrison springs opening:

I asked Chris from Walton County:

Chris,
Do you have an update on Morrison Springs reopening? Also can you provide
any info on if there will now be a fee to use the park?

He Replied:

Hi, Barry:
First, we are waiting on a well to be completed for running water to new restrooms. We don't have a date set for the opening, but we hope to real soon - as soon as the water issue is worked out. For now, the new boat ramp, complete with paved parking, is downstream and is open 24 hours a day. The main entrance to the park has been reconfigured so that you can access the boat ramp road all hours of the day throughout the week.

Second, there are NO PLANS to impose a fee for this park. The money raised for the renovations came from state tax dollars and various grants, and the county will maintain the park, just like all other Walton County, Florida parks.

Finally, I will add your e-mail address to a media release list so you can be kept up to date on any announcements regarding Morrison Springs.

I then asked:

Chris, Can the park be accessed to Scuba Dive the springs even with the
Restrooms currently closed? It sounds like the boat ramp is open so can we
park at the boat ramp and swim to the spring? Also what is your best guess
on the well being completed?

He Replied:

The springs and park are CLOSED. No one is allowed in park/spring area.

Since we have tried to predict an opening 3 times this year, I will refrain from trying to give another benchmark. -Chris

Last edited:
Xray, thanks for the update...

we are waiting on a well to be completed for running water to new restrooms. We don't have a date set for the opening, but we hope to real soon - as soon as the water issue is worked out. blah, blah, blah

that's pretty much what they told me mid august... oh well. I guess they haven't hooked up the pipes yet. (that was about all that was left as he said the well was already dug).

The springs and park are CLOSED. No one is allowed in park/spring area.

I don't think they can legally close the spring itself since it's a navigable waterway.... but you'd have to access it by boat and not by land (owned by the park/county/state). But I'm sure they would fuss a little, but not much legally that they could do besides "name calling" from the shore.

Chances are they don't really know the rules/laws involved since they are not county based, but state/federal... They just want to keep people out to keep them from either getting hurt, messing with their stuff, or getting in the way.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom