The town meeting regarding the Calypso LNG Gas Port.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree Divergirl unless you are ready to practice what you preach you are being pretty hipocritical... If tomorrow you yourself said "No, only clean energy sources from now on" you had better prepare for a seriously different quality of life.

Unless you're ready to commute on a Segway, you really need to rethink this. I'm trying really hard to lay off here but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

And even then you have to recharge your Segway and the electricity to do that will likely be generated by "old dog" methods for another 25 to 40 years. I'd rather create that electricity from clean burning LNG than coal or oil (LNG is a far cleaner burning energy source than coal, oil, or FPL's ever popular Orimulsion).

So unless you're committed to riding your bike or walking to the office or dive sites, you're burning some type of fossil fuel.

So unless you're committed to riding your bike or walking to the office or dive sites, you're burning some type of fossil fuel.

Even then the manufacturing process of that bike probably used fossil fuels... the food you eat, the clothes you wear Just about Everything has used fossil fuels in its manufacturering or coming to market process... I guess you could join an omish commune and be pretty safe though.

The point is... there is no way you can stop this process cold turkey overnight.

The reality is that for the near future, say 30 years, we will still be reliant on fossil fuels and nuclear no matter how much you want wind, wave, solar, etc.

Those fuels are oil, coal, gas. Of those gas is the cleanest burring and produce the least CO2. Environmentally, Gas is also the least harmful after you take into account strip mining, oil spills, heavy metals emissions from burning coal, etc.

I am in CT on Long Island Sound and we have the same discussion on the Broadwater Project. After a lot of research I am in favor of it. Sure it can be a terrorist target, but a floating platform is much easier to secure out on the water miles from everything else then a land site like is up at the Boston inner harbor.

All of these projects are based on projected usage, it takes 10 to 15 years to bring them on line. If they waited till there was a need, you would all be jumping up and down about the brown and black outs.

Where will the gas come from, actually much of it will come from Norway and West Africa. The gas from the Middle east will head to India and China while Russia's is going to Western Europe. For the US, there is a lot of potential on the deep water Gulf of Mexico site for gas, which is another touchy subject for Florida.

I want to get to Hydrogen as soon as possible and be able to tell all of the oil producers to pound sand, but it will take those 20 to 30 years to get there.

So, what do you want - a gas burring electrical plant, an oil burner, a coal burner, or a nuke in the back yard?

Ok then if not today then when? How much longer do we just stick our head in the sand?

mlynch21,

I'm just getting back from work. It's around 9:45pm Honestly, call me whatever you want. If you want, I'd even join in with ya, but I'm tired.

To me, your a mute point in the matter. What matters is again, Governor Charlie Crists vote. What matters, is the public turnout and opinion against the project, which again, you and others seem to be part of a minority on.

I would say this, If you guys really feel Im wrong, than check deeper into the project. I dont have time to sit here and type details all night.

I'd look into the public reaction in New Jersey to a very similar project. Look at the communities reaction to it - strong opposition.

I'd look into the statements from Suez about there being NO SPILLS in the past. They accur, can accur, and seemed to have alarmed a certain retired congressman at the meeting. I cant remember exactly the title of his position, but I think he said at one time he was the Director of Hazardous Waste Projects in congress. And by the way, do you really think that the Suez Energy company is really going to give a unbiased EIS ? Apparently there was 2 written, and almost no changes between the 2.

I'd check in to the accuracy of why previous to the project being proposed for construction here in Ft Lauderdale, it was rejected by the Bahamaian government.

There's more points to list, but honestly, this is pointless. You think your right on the matter and I dont. So big deal. I've done what I needed to do. Ive shown my support in front of people that can actually make a difference, our elected officials. You know who they are dont you ? they're the ones that are going to take my opinion and many other individuals opposing the project, and represent that opinion to the governor.

And what are you going to do ? your going to sit here on a diving forum and bitch and
moan like you have all the answers to the situation. Your a mute point. But, if you feel strongly enough about the issue, get off your ass and go make a statement at the podium at the next meeting, if there is one.

This will be my last post on the thread. Lastly, I might disagree with you guys
and I'm not sure I'd have a beer with ya, because you'd probably annoy the hell out me ...... but I'll still wish you all safe and enjoyable diving.

Best - Patrick .... now I'm going to eat something and rest.

I just got back from work and it is past 1:00 a.m. but i will still put together an intelligent response.

mlynch21,
Honestly, call me whatever you want...

First of all I never called you anything. I did not sink to name calling like yourself. I simply questioned your closed mindedness and inductive reasoning skills (or lack thereof) as demonstrated by your comment about "not caring about anyone elses opinion"... I also questioned you maturity (or lackthereof) as demonstrated by the name calling the instance someone disagreed with you... Remember we are all girls and blah blah. If you dont think it was inappropriate then why did a moderator have to edit it out of your post?

mlynch21,
...you and others seem to be part of a minority on.

For the record i never did state my opinion one way or the other on the calypso project... For all you know i agree with you. I am not one to spout off at the mouth without looking into something a bit more. When people do that they end up looking like jackasses. Feel free to point out where I sided one way or the other.

mlynch21,
To me, your a mute point in the matter...

Am i a MUTE point? or a Moot point? For the record either way you used it wrong what you were probably trying to say is that "my opinion is moot" but if that is the case so is yours. I dont think your opinion holds any more weight than mine but you are so caught up in bickering you didn't even notice i never gave an opinion.

mlynch21,
They accur, can accur,

occur?

mlynch21,
Your a mute point.

Sigh, I swear to god I am not a mute... :lotsalove:

Wow! What a topic to dive in to. I am on the fence as to whether or not I feel this pipeline is a good idea but the rebuttals are absolutely asinine. (If it makes anyone feel better I am an EIT Engineer In Training, so I would think I am edumacated enough to respond.) ---albeit electrical and not chemical, but I am not afraid of Boyle.

First off, DeepStops, I don't know you but thank you. Your responses so far have been the only logical statements I have read.

tropicaledit--- I applaud your tenacity but you seem to be very misinformed.

ONESPEED--- I will call you out as well. By any chance are you an IEEE member or a Tau Beta Pi member??????----just curious.

BTW---- I LOVE FOSSIL FUEL,-------------4 the time being

Patrick,

Do you live with all those blue-haired condo commandos on Galt Ocean Mile?? You seem a lot like them even though I think you're younger.

Most of the folks in the crowd were wealthy bluehaired condo commandos from Galt Ocean Mile who know virtually nothing about how the project works. Fear based on speculation and conjecture was all they televised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom