Recommend something w/ an easier kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm... it right,

now that you have clarified your intented purposes, I have to recommend something beyond fins.

as I said earlier, when it comes down to fins, the most important thing is the user, not the fin, you have to match the fin to YOUR intended purpose.

If you intend to mostly be freediving and you can't manage the heavy stiff long blade freedive fins. Then you need to find a new method to increase your abilities. The prime thing that I recommend is... SWIM MORE... this will increase your strength and allow you to any fin more effectively

I never said that I couldn't handle stiff fins, I simply don't like the ones I currently have. They're uncomfortable. What I was asking for was a recommendation for a fin that was a little more leisurely. I'm not in any speed competitions here.

Down_Bubble,
I have to say if I lived close to Mr. Force Fin and he offered to let me try out some fins..I would be all over like a fat kid on a smartie...no offense to our bigger brothers,:wink:

Good Luck with your fin quest!!

O

Newbie here, with a problem.

I've been diving with some old Idea 3 fins that I got from my brother for about 2 years, and every time I do, my feet hurt like hell. IMO, it's way too hard to kick with those things, I usually get leg cramps just trying to keep up with buddies.

I do a bit more free diving than SCUBA, and I like to poke around crevices and rocks, so I'd like something that I can maneuver fairly easily.

More importantly though, I want something that WON'T HURT, so I guess I'm looking for a softer fin.

Have other people had problems with these fins, or am I just a pansy? :dork2:

Hey Down B,

If I were you I'd take a look at the Mor-Fins Delfins. They're easy on your feet, extremely efficient, extremely maneuverable, and easy to pack. They come with simple, reliable easy to adjust straps and you could always add spring straps or something else if you really wanted to. The price is also very good.

I use Mor-fins personally and I dive almost daily. I also use them in my rental program and everyone who uses them is amazed at the performance. www.mor-fin.com You could call them the new kid on the block in fin-land. I guarantee you'll raise some eyebrows with these fins. When people say you "look funny" in them, just tell them what I tell them, "Well it's better than looking like my ankles hurt!

I thought they looked interesting when I first saw them. I was intrigued by the fish shape. I knew all the fast ocean fish are shaped like these fins already so I was interested to see how they performed in the water. Well, I was quite impressed. Now I tell everyone about them. I can see more scuba fins evolving into this shape in the future.

Let us know what you decide!

well, you can't say that they don't look original... :popcorn:

I'll see if they have em at a few LDS's. I'm gonna check a few of em out tomorrow, and see what they have in stock.

Down_Bubble,
I have to say if I lived close to Mr. Force Fin and he offered to let me try out some fins..I would be all over like a fat kid on a smartie...no offense to our bigger brothers,:wink:

Good Luck with your fin quest!!

O

Hey! This is castanagajt's brother speaking again... How'd you know that I LOVE SMARTIES!!! ^^
if you read the last post I'm a slightly bigger individual at 260 pounds and proud of it!

Have you tried the Large SMARTIES yet? THEY'RE GRRRRRRREAT! *points in air like Tony the Tiger*

Farce Fins, hah, hah, a lot of money for the experiment du jour. Those crude castings and childish bindings cannot compare with the technology used in much less expensive fins that are faster than Bob's and with low stress. Some years ago, major advances were made which allow manufacturers (real ones with expensive equipment) to fuse fundamentally different materials into a coherent and long lasting fins. Inherent in this new technology is the ability to create designs which take advantage of organic models like seal fins and fish fins. Bob is still throwing darts against the wallpaper but that is not how it is done.

Wow, you are ever so likable. I always trust people who are condescending and snarky.:shakehead:

Down bubble, I'm just a diver like you. Trust someone who has been a freediver and spearfisherman longer than you have lived, the Mares fin is the one.

As far as the Force Fin, I'm expecting a check from Bob due to the fact that I have generated some much visibility for his fins. Meesier is just a stuck record, I've got the real scoop. Heck, Bob and his cronies have been doing some detective work on me looking for a profile and stuff. I expect that some of his scientology like followers will be knocking on my door if they can find it. Bob, I see a book deal in your future, suggest you call it Farsanetics.

Oh yeah, you're sounding more trustworthy with every post, Dad.
You have GOT to work on those people skills. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, after all.
Ok Down_B, you got an offer from Bob Evans to visit the factory and play. It's 133 miles - how long's that take over there in Lalaland - about 39 minutes?
You like 'em - fine. If not, that's ok too, but at least you can check out the source.
Good luck over there.

Oh oh, mememe. I'm in. Please!

Okay, seriously, I have a pair of Mares, Scubapro twin jets, twin jet pro's, and 2 pair of force fins. I paid about the same for all. I like my force fins for manueverability. but you might not. Take people up on offers to play with their toys. On dive boats, divers love to let you test out their toys. Do it on the surface interval. Decide what makes you happy, because nobody can tell You what will work the best for You.
If they do, then they are probably people who are way too into the whole Big Brother knows thing.... eeewww.

Have fun, and make a day to go visit Bob. THAT is a cool offer, even if you go with another fin.

I do a lot of snorkeling and freediving, and I have wide feet. My old, heavily used Mares Plana fins eventually ran out of juice (the plastic lost too much of its flex), so I went looking for a replacement. Since the Mares footpockets were so comfortable, I first tested the Mares Plana Avanti Tre full foot, which was once a very popular fin. (I wanted to try the Mares Avanti SuperChannel, but I couldn't find any in Hawaii). However, I found that they put too much load on my ankles because the "center of load" (or whatever you want to call it) was too far forward. The fins worked well, but they required much more effort than I was expecting.

I also tried a pair of Apollo Bio-Fins (splits -- I don't remember the model). They were extremely comfortable and were very easily driven. They worked very well on the surface and almost as well underwater, except for a bit less low-speed maneuverability than I was used to. I almost couldn't tell I had them on, even at fairly high speed. If not for the high price I probably would have bought these fins.

Next I tried the Oceanic Caribe X. Sold! I find them to be very efficient underwater and extremely comfortable for my wide feet. They are far more easily driven than the Plana Avanti Tre and are also a little faster (and a bit stiffer) than the Apollo splits. Because of the fairly large blades they aren't quite as good as the Apollos on the surface, but I can dive at high speed with these fins, and once I get there I can maneuver quite well among the rocks and coral. They have a soft center and behave a lot like split fins, but with better maneuverability.

Here's a link to a 2007 ScubaLab fin test that you might find useful:
Scuba Diving Magazine - 18 New Fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom