Recommend something w/ an easier kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down_Bubble

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie here, with a problem.

I've been diving with some old Idea 3 fins that I got from my brother for about 2 years, and every time I do, my feet hurt like hell. IMO, it's way too hard to kick with those things, I usually get leg cramps just trying to keep up with buddies.

I do a bit more free diving than SCUBA, and I like to poke around crevices and rocks, so I'd like something that I can maneuver fairly easily.

More importantly though, I want something that WON'T HURT, so I guess I'm looking for a softer fin.

Have other people had problems with these fins, or am I just a pansy? :dork2:

ah. let me re-phrase.

Newbie WITH A BUDGET here, looking for fins. Preferably something in the 100-200 dollar range.

I am not trying to start a fight, but split fins will take care of the cramps and you can definitely find them within your budget.

yes, I already had my sights set on some split fins, But I thought I might ask people with more experience.

I've heard (browsing these forums) that people have problems with maneuverability when employing split fins. What's the deal (more specifically: why?)?

Try a pair of Mares Planar Avantis. They were my first pair of fins and lasted 17 yrs. To me they're easy kicking and maneuverable as I used them to hunt lobsters which means up, down, and around walls, crevices, etc. They're cheap on eBay too.

Force Fins are within your budget, ForceFin Originals are $152, and they will suit all of your needs. Sure ForceFin make some fins that are much more expensive but, their primary fins, the Originals and the Pros are in the same price range of their competitors. $150-$220. ForceFins are known as some of the best anti-cramping fins on the market.

Problems with splits, well, its not a problem with the splits, the problem lies with the user, as is true with all fins. Each and every fin is designed to do something well, normally that means it can can ONLY do one thing well. Splits work well with a very fast flutter kick and can show some tremendous speeds, but since you have to kick so fast to get them to do it, few can do it for long. Due to the floppy materials they are made from they are very poor for a frog kick, sculling (if its possible), or backing up (sort of a reverse frog).

To contrast- a stiff paddle fin (Jet) can scull and frog kick extremely well, but are not great for a sustained flutter kick, too much load on your hamstrings which leads to cramping

Mares makes a couple of fins that have characteristics of both splits and paddles, and are very good as well, the Plana Avanti has evolved into the Superchannel and the Avanti Excel.

When it comes down to it, you have to find the fin that works best for you, afterall... all fins work, only some fins work for you. You have to decide what characteristics you want out of a fin and then start the quest to find a fin that meets your needs.

Pesonnally I use ForceFins, because they do everything that I want, I can go forward with less effort than everyone around me, I can maintain my positioning and orientation more accurately, I never get cramps, I have more air at the end of the dive, and since I don't need to use a heel strap, I don't worry about it breaking. The biggest complant about ForceFins, "I can't feel them", I am not sure how such a compliment could be a complant, but if you must feel your fins working against you, then ForceFins are not for you

Down Bubble, you are in luck. The Mares Avanti Superchannel, full foot. Also, for 40 bucks, Leisurepro is selling the Avanti Tre, the predecessor to the Superchannel, and just as good. These fins, along with the Sporasub long fin, have the best, most comfortable foot pockets in the business. The Tre and Super are not stiff, are not too long and are excellent for freediving. They can also be used for SCUBA provided there is no change in booties. When ordering, figure in the foot size and add one size for 2-3mm (1/8) booties. For S. California you may use 5 mm boots. In that case go up two sizes.

About the Force Fin: don't be mislead by entertaining names like "Killer SEAL Camo". They are nothing special.

Down Bubbles, Don't be fooled or mislead by entertaining folks (pescador775) who can not show their profile information. Drive up to Santa Barbara and I will show you smart fins, take you to lunch and we will find the right model of Force fin for you. Best Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom