First Regulator after Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like others have said, there really aren't any "bad" regulators out there. Any of them will be capable of delivering breathing air to you at recreational depths. What you need to consider is things like cold water readiness if you're going to be diving in cold water, or if you think you'll go down the tech diving route, if that reg is good for tech diving either as backgas or a deco reg.

Two of my favourite regulators just happen to be on sale right now. My favourite high end reg is the Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI, which can be had for as low as $360. I use these as my backgas regs on my doubles. My favourite affordable reg is the Oceanic CDX5-Alpha 8, which Scubatoys has on sale for $145. I have a couple of these for single tank/travel regs for myself and my gf.

Oceanic Alpha 8 CDX5 regulator reviews and discounts, Oceanic

On the high end, the best are ScubaPro, Zeagle, Atomic, and Apeks.

But I got the impression the O/P wants to know about the lower end, but still with great performance.

I have had Sherwood Blizzard and Sherwood Brut regulators for about twenty years. Still work fine, parts are easy to find, breath fine at any depth. I don't know if you can buy parts direct from Sherwood though.

Here is a dirty little secret--shhhhhhhhhhh----all those high dollar regs, they don't breath any better than the Titan LX I got for 170 dollars from LP or the one I got new on ebay for 99 dollars. Warranty, don't care about warranty, that is smoke and mirrors, false value. Ninety nine percent of the difference between a number of 200 dollar regs and those costing three times as much is snob appeal and imaginary perceptions. I mean really, if you just spent 600 dollars on something you are going to imagine really, really hard that it is better--better at what---depleting your bank account?

N

Avoid the temptation to get an entry level reg, thinking that its good enough for now .. get a good solid, upper-middle reg cause a good reg will last you a lifetime of diving and you do not want to discover a few months down the road that you wished you had a better breathing regulator .. that was the only gear buying advice given by my instructor, and I'm glad I listened (I ended up with a G250HP)

Couv and Da are right on

Buy the best that you can afford.

Yep, better buy the "best", code for most expensive, because, ahem, Isn't your life worth it?

The classic line. At least fnfalman didn't imply that buying an expensive reg would be safer, but still the idea that with regs more expensive=better, especially for new divers, is just false.

Couv's advice is excellent. Ease of servicing is an issue.

Buy the best that you can afford.
This is kind of what I went with. I knew I had a little over $1000 available to spend on my diving gear (BCD+reg+computer). When I saw the Ranger LTD on closeout sale and Flathead on sale I knew these were great deals and would be worth the extra money (I wasn't planning to spend over $300 on either my reg or BCD).

So how did I make it work? Bought the cheapest nitrox computer I could find: Mares M2 for $150 on Scubatoys. Justification? I can get a high end BCD and Reg for $400 each, but a high end hoseless computer (which I eventually want) costs minimum $800. So I managed to get 2/3 of my main gear high end and the other can wait a year or so (and the M2 will make a nice backup).

Two of my favourite regulators just happen to be on sale right now. My favourite high end reg is the Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI, which can be had for as low as $360.
Where is it $360? I got it for $400 on Scubatoys.

To the OP, if you end up going a slightly higher end route, this is a great deal (especially if you dive cold water). I'm just waiting for mine in the mail, but I have yet to find a review say anything bad about it. It was the reg I really wanted but $600 was out of my price range. Luckily by chance the other day I saw they introduced a new model so the old one is on closeout and now available at a semi-reasonable price.

Yep, better buy the "best", code for most expensive, because, ahem, Isn't your life worth it?

The classic line. At least fnfalman didn't imply that buying an expensive reg would be safer, but still the idea that with regs more expensive=better, especially for new divers, is just false.
Ill have a better idea in a month, but I doubt this is entirely true. I agree there is no need to buy an expensive regulator, but I think you might be taking the other extreme by saying that more expensive regs aren't better. Is easier breathing, air control, enviro-seal, etc. necessary for a new diver? Probably not, but it will probably a bit better to use. A Lexus accomplishes the same basic task as a Ford (getting you somewhere safely): but one is still better than the other.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle: if you can afford a higher end regulator, in the long run it probably makes sense to buy it. But if not, a cheaper regulator can certainly serve you well. It's easy to say "buy the expensive one" without knowing someone's finances.

The Dive Rite Hurricane Regulator is excellent Dive Rite Regulators...Performance and Reliability Even at Extraordinary Depths It is reasonably priced, suitable for cold water and there's one other thing: Dive Rite makes the parts kits and service manual available to end users.

I bought one of these for my son-in-law and I'm getting another for my wife as soon as it comes back in stock.

My other choice would be the older version of the Oceanic Delta 4/FDX 10 without the swivel and without the DVT (drive valve technology). I don't want another valve in the air stream. It's available for $399 Oceanic Delta 4 Non-Swivel FDX10 Non-DVT Regulator

All that said, I dive with Oceanic Omega II's because I like this old regulator. It's been ultra reliable over many years, it's ambidextrous which makes it perfect for donating either an octo or primary and it delivers a LOT of air. They aren't made anymore but they come up on eBay from time to time. If you are bidding on one, you are probably bidding against me. I am trying to corner the world's market on Omega II's.

Richard

Great advice from all. I find myself asking the same question as "salub2007" I'm a very mechanically inclined DIY'er so i'm wondering where does one find parts to service ones regulator. I read on my class book (OWD). that only pro's should do the job. But what if I don't trust the guy at the LDS?? what if they charge me for new parts and they did not replace them like the mechanics are known to do on your car??? I trust myself to do it right and only a few honest people that I know to do it for me. As far as my dive equipmnt. I want to learn to do it myself. This way I know it's done right. And, I mean the right way. I can't cheat myself ya know!

Great advice "nereas" it saves me a lot of time looking around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom