Anybody been to Turquoise Bay Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a search and there aren't any recent threads. I checked out their website and it looks nice. I see they use Subway for dive operations. Is that on-site? How far from the Aeropuerto? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Turquise bay is a way out to the east end of the island. It is 20 or 30 minutes drive to the airport.

Fairly remote - as in not very near any noisy towns, or on the flip side other retaurants/bars.

Subway is on site there.

At the top of their entrance drive, however, is "The View", a nice little restaurant.

It's about 35 minutes East from the Airport.

That's good to here. I'm looking in to planning a trip with diving for me and relaxing on the beach for my wife. I've been to FIBR, this place looks a bit more upscale.

My wife and I were there for a week in March. The resort is very nice with beautiful, clean, modern rooms and facilities and picturesque grounds which are well maintained. The food was quite good as well and the hotel staff went out of their way to try to be accomodating.

The diving was another story. I don't think Subway " has their act together ".

Of the dive boats, only one was halfway decent. The others are small skiffs with limited space for clients, tanks and gear. No shade and no dip tank for cameras, no cooler for drinks, no snacks. The dives were one tank and then back to the shop to replace or refill tanks. Not enough Nitrox for everyone and not enogh room on the dive boat for tanks for a 2 tank dive. Going back and forth after each dive meant that we were limited to the local sites near the shop, which were OK but probably not the best on the island. Delays in getting going in the morning as well as going back in between dives stretched out the AM so that we were usually not back from the second morning dive until 1 PM which meant a rushed lunch in order to be back on the boat at 1.45 for the PM dive.

Events of the week included a dive master putting himself into deco mode while leading a group, a night dive on a boat with no running lights or strobe making it hard to find it at the end of the dive, and a boat running out of fuel while at sea.

We requested a dive on the South one day ( as advertised on Subway website ) and were bused over to the South side an hour and a half after the scheduled departure time, to a boat that was under repair. The fibergass resin on the seats was wet and stuck to our clothing, wetsuits and skin, the sea was rough and there were no tank racks. The tanks and gear rolled around on the deck in the waves and surge. Needless to say, no camera dip tank, no drinking water and I don't remember seeing lifejackets or safety gear on the boat either. There was no boat orientation for us.The divemaster they hired for the day was a "freelance" who took us out for 2 very short, shallow tightly regimented dives. Not a great day.

Overall, this was the worst dive op I have encountered in my 25 years in the sport.

I should mention that the one positive aspect of the experience at Subway was that one of the divemasters, Emily, went out of her way to try to provide a safe, fun experience. Unfortunately, she could not be on the boat with us for every dive.

You can draw your own conclusions from all this but I can tell you categorically, I won't be back.

In defense of Subway all their boats meet Honduran and US coast guard requirements and are well suitable for Roatan conditions. In general most people like the smaller boats because it keeps the dive groups small. Their biggest boat got recently completely rebuilt and is in fact very comfortable and has a rinse tank as well as live jackets drinking water and everything else on board. Even a toilet. Here is a link where you can look at the boats and make up your own mind. subwaywatersports.com/Diving/our_boats.htm
I know that they are doing two tanks dives on a regular basis. March is the busiest time of the year and they may have run short on tanks for some reason. They also had a boat stolen in March and that’s probably why the reminding boats where crowded and they had to use the boat which was being worked on.
In my opinion they run a great operation and I can highly recommend them. Sure everybody has a bad day every now and then.

I've been to the TBR site and looked at the pics. I'd prefer boats with more shade, but all in all it looks like we're gonna go with them. The reviews on tripadvisor.com are so positive, I'm almost suspicious they were written by a TBR PR guy. I was at FIBR in March and thoroughly enjoyed it but I'm bringing my wife this time. TBR looks a bit more upscale. She is a non-diver and is looking for a nice place to lounge on the beach. We're not looking for nightlife, just relaxation (and diving for me).

I've been to the TBR site and looked at the pics. I'd prefer boats with more shade, but all in all it looks like we're gonna go with them. The reviews on tripadvisor.com are so positive, I'm almost suspicious they were written by a TBR PR guy. I was at FIBR in March and thoroughly enjoyed it but I'm bringing my wife this time. TBR looks a bit more upscale. She is a non-diver and is looking for a nice place to lounge on the beach. We're not looking for nightlife, just relaxation (and diving for me).

Please post a report....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom