Is it necessary to get annual reg service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with Vlad ... if the shop starts talking "life support," disconnect the shop's life support by putting your hand over your wallet ... if you don't your-a-gonna die!

I still get my reg serviced by someone else at least once every TWO years. I work in a diveshop so I get parts super cheap... and since it looks like the Micra is not going to be with us for much longer, I have stocked up on Micra parts - I love that octo! I have two identical rigs in the event of any failure, or when one needs to be dissected for extended periods - awaiting parts, etc.

Your regulator is a life support system. And yes, diveshops do stress that to get you to become an annual servicing client/victim - once a year services seem a little excessive to me unless you regularly flood your regulator. And $150 is a little steep, is that just for the 1st stage and one 2nd stage or two? Atomics are really hardy, what with the seat saving orifice and non-corroding internal workings, it's made to go long times between services.

And yes, I too have encountered problems right after servicing. Which is why I stress that you test your equipment out of water right after servicing to ensure it works. I've seen regs come back with diaphragms out of position/reversed; completely not working; free-flowing; missing internal o-rings; etc. So, check before you get wet!

If you don't get your reg serviced and continue to dive, it will fail eventually, regardless of make, price, or material. The question is: will you be ready when it happens to you at 110 feet? Better yet, don't take that chance.

If you don't get your reg serviced and continue to dive, it will fail eventually, regardless of make, price, or material. The question is: will you be ready when it happens to you at 110 feet? Better yet, don't take that chance.
Yes, but the failure is almost always very, very gradual. In fact I have never heard of a catastrophic failure (like this one) that had at it's base anything that would have been prevented by periodic servicing. And even if I had the inconceivably incredible bad luck to be the victim of that which never ever occurs ... well, that's one of the things that my buddy is for.

Barring a serious technician error or defective part, reg failures are usually pretty graceful. That is they start to breath a little harder, or they breath a little wetter, or they start with a small leak. None of these things are a major problem. Just pay attention to the warning signs and couv's checklist and take care of the little problems.

The "life support" cry and the catastrophic failure on a deep dive seem to be an all too common cry of those who advocate following the mfgrs recommendations for annual service either because they profit from it or just don't know enough about their regulator( to understand what is really needed.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Store it in a good location and rinse/flush it after dives. For $150 I would buy a new one. Regulators are simple devices. Not as simple as a hammer, but simple none the less. How much preventive maintenance do you do to your hammer? Do at least twice that much to your regulator. :)

Last edited:
I work in a diveshop...(snip)...Your regulator is a life support system...(snip)...If you don't get your reg serviced and continue to dive, it will fail eventually, regardless of make, price, or material. The question is: will you be ready when it happens to you at 110 feet? Better yet, don't take that chance.

Here we go again...the old faithful. Isn't your life worth it? Gee it's been a good long time, at least a month, before this topic was beaten to a pulp last, so I guess it's healed enough to pummel it again for a while.

Regulators are NOT life support. If they were, and people really died when they failed, there would be a lot of dead divers floating around, as well as actual licensing for working on them.

well, if they aren't "life-support" do we call them "life-extenders?" And yes, usually it is a gradual deterioration, usually.

i've had my Apeks for 3 years now and they're still going well. i'll probably go another year or so to have any work done on them

in the rare event that a reg fails on me, i have another one. in the extreme event that both fail, i have a buddy. if my buddy is gone, then i guess it's not my lucky day

so a reg breaks on you on a dive

not the end of the world

well, if they aren't "life-support" do we call them "life-extenders?" And yes, usually it is a gradual deterioration, usually.
Please cite one example (except for mine) where there was a catastrophic failure unrelated to recent servicing.

Ok, I'll jump thru hoops for ya.

A synopsis of a recent DAN study by the folks at scubadiving.com follows:

"Equipment Problems

While equipment failures account for relatively few fatalities covered in the DAN study, they are one of the most predictable-and easily preventable-causes of fatal dive accidents. According to the study, BC issues were involved in 7.5 percent of the fatalities; regulator issues in 6 percent; weight systems in 5 percent; and mask, fins, dry suit and computer failures were involved in less than 3 percent each. It is important to note that this does not mean that the equipment failure actually caused the fatality. Ultimately, the diver's reaction to an equipment failure is more likely to impact the outcome of the incident than the actual failure itself.

Equipment issues are often obvious before the dive and the observant diver can effectively make a preemptive self-rescue before he ever enters the water. The best policy is to check your equipment thoroughly before you board the dive boat, maintain your gear carefully and follow all recommended service intervals."

Also, it helps in the cases of manufacturer recalls when you get service:

"Faulty Scuba Diving Components
Sean M. Cleary - Miami Personal Injury Attorney

The picturesque Florida and Caribbean coastlines and year-round warm temperatures attract numerous scuba divers every year. As a recreational activity, scuba diving dates back to the 1950s when adventurous individuals descended into the depths with rudimentary equipment and very basic safety protections. Since then, diving equipment has been improved tremendously. In fact, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission enforces strict regulations in order to ensure the safety of modern-day divers. However, occasionally manufacturers provide consumers with faulty scuba equipment due to design flaws and/or faulty manufacturing process. As a result, divers are left at risk of serious personal injury and death.

As one of the experienced scuba diving and defective scuba diving equipment lawyers in Miami, Sean M. Cleary specializes in protecting the legal rights of victims injured or killed because of faulty equipment and other negligence, e.g. negligent instruction or group led dives. He is known as one of the highly skilled personal injury lawyers Miami is home to. Please explore the paragraphs below to learn more about the dangers of faulty scuba diving equipment and how Mr. Cleary can help you if you or your loved one has become a victim of manufacturer negligence or other negligence.
Scuba Diving Equipment Recalls: Apeks & Romi Enterprises

In 2008, Aqualung announced a recall of some scuba diving regulators and adapters after it became known that the faulty part might cause equipment failure, leading to drowning. The regulator, or mouthpiece, is a crucial part of the scuba diving gear as it regulates the flow of air from the tank. The defective Apex scuba diving regulators were found to be missing diaphragm covers, which could cause the diaphragm to become loose or misplaced, resulting in uncontrolled air flow and/or drowning.

Another company, Romi Enterprises, announced a similar recall in 2007. The company's Aeris scuba diving regulators were found to be prone to malfunction. This defect could pose lethal consequences to divers as the failure of the regulator means uncontrolled air flow to the diver. These and other defects found in scuba diving equipment can be fatal to divers. The survivors of equipment-caused diving accidents can be left permanently disabled as they are forced to resurface too rapidly, which may result in disastrous decompression."

You want a specific case? I'll give you a name and a place to look up more info Julius Johnston, died a few years ago with MODERN equipment in Nicaragua: Californian Scuba Diver dies in SJDS caused by Equipment problems - The Real Nicaragua

There's more. It doesn't happen that often. But pins snap, springs break, o-rings fail, and pistons jam... it's all a matter of time, AND service.

Aloha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom