Honeymoon to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey . . . so more of a thank you than a question. My husband and I are going to Roatan, and while I just actually joined scubaboard, I have been reading through posts for a couple of months and have gotten all sorts of important information from those of you so generous to continuously answer questions and post advice. Most recently I have been following thoughts about the currently political issues in Honduras and their affect or lack thereof on the bay islands. Thanks so much for all of your help allbeit indirectly. We're very excited and I'll try to post a trip report when I get back so I can perhaps help some others out too!!

I am happy you saw through the fog and made your decision.

I assume that you are both avid divers, a definite requirement for happiness between couples on the Bay Islands- wedded bliss can only take you just so far.

Where are you planning to stay? Maybe others can chime in with ideas for restaurants or other minor diversions.

We are staying at CoCo View. The owner of our dive shop who is also our travel agent has brought multiple groups of very pleased divers there over the past few years so we dedided to give it a try.

We're definitely looking forward to a lot of great diving . . . being from New England . . . a good day of diving here can't even compare to "bad" day on Roatan, I'm sure.

I think we'd definitely like to try the shark dive . . . and it seems to be a favorite among visitors . . . anything else you guys would definitely recommend, or not??

The shark dive is fun. In addition to the sharks, there is a grouper there that will hang around you and nudge you for attention. It acts more like a dog or cat than a fish.

There is a wreck called El Aguila I dived when I was there. It was a fun dive if you like wrecks, and there are often morays living in it to see (or so I was told). Descending down the line and seeing a turtle swimming below me around the wreck is one of my favorite images from Roatan. It's a little deep at 110', but in the warm calm waters it was an easy dive with a nice little swim through.

We dove in a spot called "Herbie's Place" that was so populated with marine life it was overwhelming. Numerous turtles, including one who was just sitting on the reef eating his lunch, and so many fish aound it was dizzying (I am not knowledgable about fish to tell you what kind I saw). We finished with some large baracouda keeping us compnay on our safty stop.

Some people I was with loved "Spooky Channel;" I found it interesting but not as mind-blowing as some other dives.

Roatan is amazing - I didn't want to leave when my week was up. You're going to have a great time.

Last edited:
WavyGravy gives good advice for divers staying on the NorthWest and West End.

You'll have enough diving along the South side to keep you busy. The CCV "House Wreck" is an intact 140' Tanker that is 300' out from your room.

The South side, especially in the zone about 2 miles on either side of CCV is a very unique environment to anywhere in the world. You will find shallow, vertical walls (5>90fsw) that are directly facing ESE, so the Sun is hitting them for many hours in a day. The storms do not come from that side,m so they have lots of lush growth and are havens for tiny critters, the nursery of the Ocean. Stay close to your DM and he will show you Seahorses, Pipefish, and lots of tiny Crabs that you will have a hard time remembering the names!

On your first morning there, you'll be given an "orientation" which will have a verbal portion (as well as a dive segment). During that lecturette, they will describe all of the Island's other attractions.

For sure, a big one is the "Shark Dive" as WG mentioned. Many folks enjoy the Dolphin Encounter/Snorkel at AKR, both of which you schedule in advance with CCV's activity director. A lot of people do the Dolphin snorkel as a Friday off-gassing activity.

You can sign-up for "Jungle Canopy Tours", those slide-for-life things where you zip-line through the trees.

Many people from CCV, especially the groups, go to Geo's Restaurant in nearby French Harbor. I never ever understood the attraction of spending many dollars for lobster or steak that was imported.

A better option, also quite nearby is a great little place called "The View" where you can sample more local flavors and enjoy a spectacular sunset... and still make it back for a night dive. Ask the staff and get your trip leader to consider that alternative, well worth your effort!

As Roatan is so limited in non-dive activities, CCV takes it one step beyond. It is on its own private 10 acre cay. If the newlyweds are divers and if that is what they want, what better place to be? Great, over-the-water cabanas that my wife tells me are quite romantic! You'll have as much alone-time as you might like !

For more in-depth CoCoView advice, see the message board at CoCo Chat

I highly recommend the "View" also, I've done Geo's. The best coconut shrimp and the margarita's were tasty but, deadly. It's just a short ride east, up the road. You can see the north and the south shore from this lovely open air restaurant.

The View WAS nice before the resort down the hill took it over. It was a nice casual restaurant where the menu was written on a white board. Now it just seems more uppity. JMHO.

The view from there is still nice though, as Doc said you can see both shores.

Perfect for an intimate honeymoon dinner. We saw lots of locals on "dates" there and one large family was served "family style". I also recommend the lobster it was decadent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom