Split Fins for Bigger Guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6'4 just under 280 I started with atomics splits, they worked fine... for splits. got into doubles and drysuit, the fins are now in storage somewhere... used turtles for a while, yeah at first it feels like having a sheet of plywood on your feet, but you learn to frog kick and its nice. Ive since switched to OMS slip streams. For me, they are perfect... well nearly perfect, I wear size 17 shoes and with the largest spring strap, its still tight to get them on or off. A few times Im jumped in my pool to play with different fins, I am so over splits! Im not going to say i cant do helicopter turns or do a back kick, I can (but much more difficult), but there is no feed back to what your feet are doing, its like driving a stick and starting off in 3rd gear...
Wait, I did use them once since getting my blades, I used them for my swim test for DM, they are faster and easier, but who the hell wants to race around while diving?

I am a reasonably big guy. Paddles were giving me cramps and my knees did not like them. I switched to Atomics and those problems went away, but then tried out ForceFin Pros. Still no problems, but much better performing fins.

Have about 20 dives on twin jet max. Love them. Seem to get me where ever I want to go.

I have about the same number of dives on Scubapro Twin Speeds, and although they seem to do the job they're sooooo long!

I've been thinking about trying the Twin Jet Max as they're more compact and by all accounts seem to have the same thrust / effort ratio.

Would anyone else recommend them?

TNX

I am a big guy and tried out a pair of Tusa X-Pert Zoom (the black ones with the stiffer compound) for a few months this year, and for most circumstances they worked fine, but I eventually (recently)decided to try some Hollis F1's which I prefer. Needless to say if anyone is looking for a gently used pair of Tusa X-pert Zoom in XL I've got one for sale. The straps have never been used, as I was using springs, but I am going to transfer the springs to my gf's fins.

I am a big guy and tried out a pair of Tusa X-Pert Zoom (the black ones with the stiffer compound) for a few months this year, and for most circumstances they worked fine, but I eventually (recently)decided to try some Hollis F1's which I prefer. Needless to say if anyone is looking for a gently used pair of Tusa X-pert Zoom in XL I've got one for sale. The straps have never been used, as I was using springs, but I am going to transfer the springs to my gf's fins.

I've been reading about the Hollis F1's on here and as I eventually want to do cave and more technical diving I think those may be the fins for me. What do you think of the fit and performance since you preferred them? What style of kick are you using?

The fit is decent, although I will say it is not as comfortable as the Tusa's. I have a wide toe-box, and the Hollis fins push my big toes inward a bit. Not a huge deal for the length of recreational dives, but the Tusas did fit like a glove. I also should mention that I have size 14's and use thin (3mm?) akona dive booties.

As far as performance, they seem to respond a lot faster and I can really generate some oomph when I need it. It feels like I can move them around in the water faster. I generally use flutter kicks, a bastardized frog kick, and some other kicks when I want to spin around. I have zero training in kicking techniques, so I just kind of do what comes naturally. The Hollis fins are much heavier on land, but I didn't really notice my feet sinking any more in the water.

I'm 6'5" 230lbs. I use the Atomic Full-Foot Splits for warm water, and the Apollo Bio Fin Pro XT C-Series for colder conditions. Both are great for all kicking styles. The Atomics are very easy on the legs, and great for traveling. The XTs are a 75° durometer, so they're a little stiffer than the regular Pros. If you're looking for open heels, I'd demo the Apollos. Comfort aside, the Bio Fins are excellent performers and very durable. On the down side, they are a heavier design due the type rubber compound used, and they are also a little pricey.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Split Fins

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom