Split Fins for Bigger Guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tk trekers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been using Aqualung Blades fins and after every dive my bad knee really hurts for up to a week. So I borrowed some Scubapro Twin Jets from my LDS to try out today. The owner told me that since I'm a big guy (6'8" 255 - 260 lbs), I might not like these particular split fins but some splits that were stiffer.

So my first dive I felt like I was kicking really hard and not really moving but towards the end after I changed my kicking style, seemed to be doing OK. Second dive, nice and relaxed and they really seemed OK to me.

So if any other BIG guys can comment on what they have experienced with these fins or other stiffer split fins I would appreciate it.

I don't have much experience with splits so I can't answer that part but I have tried a few of my friends out. For the knee I find that frog kicking helps with mine (acl reconstruct, cartlidge removal, and another blow out that never got diagnosted but I suspect is more cartlidge damage, obviously the last hasn't been repaired) if I flutter kick my knee aches and I'm limping if I frog kick I have no knee pain what so ever.

I know it wasn't the question but hopefully this will still help

I dive with scubapro jets with a wetsuit and aqualung slingshots with a dry (birthday gift), I used to use aqualung blade II flexs but this flex so much I can't get any propulsion from the frog kick at all.

I'm 6'2, just over two and a quarter, and I've had a LOT of success with the Atomic Split Fins. I'm diving with a single ST120 and 20# of lead, and I can move effortlessly. Like you I've had knee injuries in the past (dislocated kneecap, ACL) and the Atomics put NO stress on my knees.

Like you figured out with your first experience, you do need to modify your kicking style slightly. Once you have that down, it becomes natural and you'll feel great after you dive.

I am 6'2" @ 240 #'s, I dive wet and dry, singles and doubles. The best fins out there for you are the Force Fins. I always recommend the Pro Force Fin. It will outperform every split fin on the market and use a lower kick frequency than splits but still will not overload your knees. They don't frog kick particularly well, but then again neither do splits.

While I am not anywhere as tall as the OP, I am 6'2" 230 and have had 5 knee operation(College Football). I tried numerous split fins including the Scuba Pro twin jets and the Tusa Zooms. I found Scubapros to be ok but harder to use than the Zooms. The Scubapros are not as stiff as the Zooms on the edges of the blades and the blades of the Zooms are a two part soft and hard plastic. I ended up purchasing the Zooms over the Twin Jets.

To muddy the water a bit more, The Scubapros came out with a new version of the Twin Jets with a stiffer two part blade called the Twin Jet Max.

Last edited:
I got some of the Tusa X-pert Zooms in the stiffer black compound in early July and put spring straps on them. I really like them and can frog kick in them too. I seriously considered the Atomics but the price difference of over $100 just didn't convince me they were that much better. Of course, two weeks after I purchased them, someone put some Atomics with spring straps up for sale at a great price but it was two weeks too late.

im 6ft 5in and about 100kg ive just got the scubapro twinjet .
i don't mind the fin itself but i find the fin pocket is too small for my drysuit boot , it feels like its wide enough but not high enough so it rubs on the top of my big feet .

im wondering if i should just onsell them, or try to put up with them to see if the rubber wil give and get more comfortable or get some fin keepers , push them into the finpocket while im not using the fin and stretch them out ?????????

kinda a bit frustrating and expensive .

i have tried the Apollo biofin LL and they are an ok fit and probably a bit tight but not as bad as the Twinjets .

can anyone recommend another split fin with BIG fin Pockets ??????

Thanks
Matt

If you are going to buy split fins, then please also remember that by international maritime law, you are obliged to purchase them in the color pink. This serves as fair warning to other divers that you are, in fact, a danger to shipping, divers and other water users.

(joke)

On a serious note...If you have a leg injury/disability, then you should definitely investigate Force Fins.

If you are going to buy split fins, then please also remember that by international maritime law, you are obliged to purchase them in the color pink. This serves as fair warning to other divers that you are, in fact, a danger to shipping, divers and other water users.

(joke)

On a serious note...If you have a leg injury/disability, then you should definitely investigate Force Fins.

Thank God my wife has pink Twin Jets to fit the requirements of the International Maritime Law! :D:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom