Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tracy, I understand the intent of the post, believe me I know some people that i would liked to have kicked off my own boat. the "honey do everything for me diver", but it wasnt just 1 person it kinda affected. there were a few others that were"offended" by it so it tells me she might have missed the mark of getting her message thru.

Humility and Kindness.

Young healthy people sometimes just don't get it. Young people live in a world of denial thinking they will always be as they are - young and healthy. However, someday you will be old and/or injured, and pushed aside by someone young and healthy.

I am so thankful that after knee surgery my buddy Ali grabbed my weights and carried them across the rugged jetty to the water's edge. Once in the water, I am a better diver than my friend, but he helped me get there. I repayed him with patiently teaching him buoyancy and underwater navigation - things the LDS had given up on because of language barrier (English is not his 1st language). My knee is all better now, but even now, he rushes to help others get their BCDs on.

Someday, Little Skuba Girl, I hope you live long enough to get a little more frail, and receive kindness from another.

and the fact that I bet half of the users on this board are unable to calculate rock bottoms or turn pressures. Flame away!

Not everyone has taken a GUE, UTD or equivalent class. You will find out the true purpose of the fundamentals class you are going to take in October is to be a better dive buddy. Good luck on your class - it is worth it!

Sean

It really is amazing how people can see another possibly misinterperet a post, get into a "discussion" about it and see nothing wrong with it until it lands in their digital back yard (i.e. in their "club" forum). I recall some people taking their shots in the COZ forum (I am just saying). I am not in any way condoning the attacks that took place in this thread, but if that many people did in fact misunderstand the OP's message, then perhaps she did choose the wrong way to express herself. Perhaps she should have re-read it before clicking "Post Quick Reply". Perhaps she meant it exactly the way that "the others" are interpereting it. Perhaps you guys are interpereting it incorrectly. Perhaps she is the nicest and most helpful person ever and just want to nicely pass her ideas along to others. I have no idea which is right. All I know is that the OP's message ticked off far more that the select few that you guys are centering out here.

The reality is, the OP put words out there that made little sense to many in the context in which they were written. If a reader needs to "read between the lines" or needs to know her as a person to know how to take it, then the post is destined for a trainwreck without the help of anybody. This is a public internet forum where one has the choice of 52 letters (upper and lower) and a whole host of characters and smilies......if you cannot effectively convey your point using all of that, then this is not the place for you.

A very interesting read. Nice to know so many of our fellow divers remember what it was like to be a beginner, and are willing to help newcomers to the sport. Thanks!

After 39 years, I am still learning, and love to spend time listening to another diver who has good advice, or an interesting point of view.

When my teenagers became divers it was glorious fun diving with these new diver, and my girlfriend has back problems, as well as not yet being a confident diver, so I carry tanks, check gear, etc.

Sure, I too have had "insta buddies" that I wouldn't dive with twice, and seen divers on trips that were walking disasters, but this was due to their personallities, rather than their lack of experience. (The memory of one vacationing "instructor" I watched in Belize, will always haunt me!)

And I just wish certain people didn't take the literal definition of every individual word used by the OP in the context of a particular subset of divers and twist it so they could turn the thread into a flame war that looked more like the script of a group of seven year olds arguing on the playground. Sad... :shakehead:

The "person" Carmen described is exactly the person that came into my mind when I read the first post. And there might be a specific reason this was posted in the Tampa section. I'm just saying.... :popcorn:

First, the OP didn't post a well thought out post that had one or two words at issue. Her entire post was a rant with several issues that offended several of us.

Second, we all know the difference between a 'vacation' diver and a 'new' diver. . . OP didn't make that distinction and I think it was purposeful since she was not referring to vacation divers but rather a specific situation.

Finally, if Tampa has a problem child then Tampa should have dealt with it locally. Not on a public forum behind a hardly veiled 'general rant'. This stinks of conflict avoidance - the typical "well I don't want to make a scene" in public but instead will try to insult the person online in the hopes they will 'take a hint'.

:shakehead:

Hi Pam :D!

I know. However, it sure made you all sit up and think about being better divers while ranting on her though, didn't it?? :rofl3:

Unfortunate that it takes 3rd grade sandbox antics by the OP (and apparently related folks) to instigate a discussion when a good discussion can be had with a good post.

I think, and I could be wrong, that was just because this is our "club". :idk:

:confused: Not sure what this means? Are you saying I responded to the OP simply because she posted in the Tampa forum? Why would that matter?

Why would you post looking to be banned? Also, many retire from teaching for a variety of reasons. Assuming it is for something bad is a terrible assumation to make.

I posted with the same tone she did and expected the Mods to not be pleased. Frankly, her post was the offensive part. And my note about being banned was intended to serve as a heads up that my post was going to be direct. You've read enough of my posts to know how I deal with these things.

This is a diving board not a journalism class. I think you stated once you didn't care for her presentation... 'nough said, no?

No apparently not enough said. Cuz we are still 'debating'. :D

Additionally, when you have been around the diving world a lil longer you will find there are those that need a lil help. For instance my good friend's back was hurt for a while. We all pitched in and carried tanks. Heck we fell over ourselves wanting to help her :) That though is very different from doing everything for someone. Often it is not even safe if they don't even know what you are doing.

Once again are we referring to the individual you had problems with or the alleged general rant by the OP?

And fwiw, I know for a fact this OP helps with newbs. Helping or showing the ropes is different than what many of you are trying to state she meant. Another wasted thread is what we have now.

I completely agree with you on the wasted thread. OP could have saved us all alot of time. :D

Having the goon squad come out is what makes a thread useless drivel that many don't want to be a part of. Keep it in the "chat/goof off threads" please.

Why is the DNY crew a 'goon' squad? If the truth hurts then don't keep reading the thread. OP opened her casket. . we just helped her in.

To think you all are bragging about the trainwreck you caused here today boggles my mind but if it's trainwrecks you seek, I can help you.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Our trainwreck! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Gosh I love it when the trainwreck happens with the OP's opening post but that gets overlooked.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Rich people express themselves in many tones. Some tones click with one person but maybe not the next person. Pick your threads. Berrating someone over and over because you don't like their tone or how they express themselves well...

To be honest, many people simply do not realize that some boats are not "full service" if you will (what some refer to as vacaction boats) and this thread may have been an eye-opener for them. Maybe. But then to see a large group go on attack and repeat what the one prior to them stated... If anything, I believe, you have taught them to steer clear of posting.

Rich people. Hmmmmm . . .

As for people steering clear of posting . . . if anyone was remotely thinking of starting a thread the way the OP did and they have decided against it .. then I'd call that a good thing.

Supporting the rant of one over the rant of another does not stop ranting . . . . . OP's rant was responded to in kind. Not sure what she or you expected to happen.

Last edited:
I [-]think[/-] believe she meant "Rich, people express . . . "

:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom