Skipping Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technically speaking, filling a cylinder that is out of hydro and then transporting it on public highways is illegal.

This is the second thread asking about filling procedures. Maybe you should get some training before using your compressor. Also make sure you have it setup correctly.

Why would you sell used tanks and buy new ones just because they need hydro??

Technically speaking, filling a cylinder that is out of hydro and then transporting it on public highways is illegal.

BINGO! The 5 year hydro test is a DOT requirement. It is illegal to transport any compressed gas tank on US highways w/o it. This includes fire extinguishers also.

John

Bad spot shows up after 500 to 1000 fills?

I have 6 HP120 (don't ask me how I ended up with six - long story - however, it has proven to be very convenient) and I just log my 100th dive a few months ago. That mean each tank has seen about 20 refills if that.

I am simply deciding if: (1) I want keep it as is or (2) to sell it before the hydro is up and buy 2 new replacements.

I just do not see any reason to get it hydro when the tanks are practically perfect and have only seen 20 fills since new. Not to mention the hassle of getting it hydro.

So if the effect of skipping hydro is beyond acceptable reasoning, then option 2 it will be.

umm.. you could sell me 2 then you will get more money outa your hydro expenses

Bad spot shows up after 500 to 1000 fills?

I have 6 HP120 (don't ask me how I ended up with six - long story - however, it has proven to be very convenient) and I just log my 100th dive a few months ago. That mean each tank has seen about 20 refills if that.

I am simply deciding if: (1) I want keep it as is or (2) to sell it before the hydro is up and buy 2 new replacements.

I just do not see any reason to get it hydro when the tanks are practically perfect and have only seen 20 fills since new. Not to mention the hassle of getting it hydro.

So if the effect of skipping hydro is beyond acceptable reasoning, then option 2 it will be.

I'd gladly buy your used tank and have it hydro'd. But I don't understand why you would sell it and buy replacements. Just hydro it and now you have a perfectly good tank for the next 5 years. I have 3 100s and 3 80s steel high pressure 3442 tanks (3 of them are PSTs) and I have not had any problems with them passing hydro.

I'd gladly buy your used tank and have it hydro'd. But I don't understand why you would sell it and buy replacements. Just hydro it and now you have a perfectly good tank for the next 5 years. I have 3 100s and 3 80s steel high pressure 3442 tanks (3 of them are PSTs) and I have not had any problems with them passing hydro.

I called it first and im close enough i can pick them up to save packing them

BINGO! The 5 year hydro test is a DOT requirement. It is illegal to transport any compressed gas tank on US highways w/o it. This includes fire extinguishers also.

John
I do not think that the DOT has any authority over private individuals who are transporting their own cylinders that they filled themselves. Back when it was ICC you had to cross state lines, that may still be the case, I'm not sure.

Why would you sell used tanks and buy new ones just because they need hydro??

The thinking was.

The difference of selling these two HP120 with one year of hydro remaining (I am sure I can get ~$250 each) and then buy new ($360 each). That is a difference of $220 for two HP120 replacement. By having these the old tank hydro ($50 each). The net difference is $120.

For $120 I would rather have new tanks shipped to my door and let someone come and pickup these used tanks and hydro them when that comes due next year.

I guess I could keep them.

Hazmat, which is what a scuba cylinder really is, applies to individuals and private persons.
Hazmat is the one exception to the rule in commerce. That said, if you exceed the placard quantity for a given material, that automatically makes you a commercial carrier and you must follow all laws and regulations as such. AKA if you have more than 1,000 lbs of scuba cylinders in your vehicle you better have placards, a CDL with an H endorsment, and all training and paper work to go with it. The gov really does not want private individuals transporting quantites of hazmat materials, which is rightly so.

The thinking was.

The difference of selling these two HP120 with one year of hydro remaining (I am sure I can get ~$250 each) and then buy new ($360 each). That is a difference of $220 for two HP120 replacement. By having these the old tank hydro ($50 each). The net difference is $120.

For $120 I would rather have new tanks shipped to my door and let someone come and pickup these used tanks and hydro them when that comes due next year.

I guess I could keep them.

I might consider 175 . . . a piece . . . as I don;t know if I am going to loose my money in a year when I go to hydro them. and you aren;t gonna give me my money back if they fail because you have overfilled/improperly filled them.

Hazmat, which is what a scuba cylinder really is, applies to individuals and private persons.
Hazmat is the one exception to the rule in commerce. That said, if you exceed the placard quantity for a given material, that automatically makes you a commercial carrier and you must follow all laws and regulations as such. AKA if you have more than 1,000 lbs of scuba cylinders in your vehicle you better have placards, a CDL with an H endorsment, and all training and paper work to go with it. The gov really does not want private individuals transporting quantites of hazmat materials, which is rightly so.
I could be wrong, things do change and one person can't keep up with everything. I'd greatly appreciate your citing a reference, or at least an authority, for this.

Back
Top Bottom