UW Photography and air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm really in the zone, taking photos of subjects that are familiar to me, trying new things out, etc., my consumption tends to drop simply because I'm relaxed and not really thinking about it.

On really great dives, filled with amazing subjects, my consumption tends to rise, because I'm excited!

Conditions, as others noted, also play a big part: Current, surge, etc. make positioning trickier and more energy is output maintaining position.

I usually tell my photo students that air consumption can rise up to 30% when you add a camera. I think the posters above have outlined a bunch of the reasons why.

As with anything in diving, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will become with it and you will find that your air consumption will probably drop back to "normal" or near normal for you. It just takes some time to get your body and mind dialled in.

Keep a good watch on your air, think about your shooting style and debrief yourself about what you might be able to do to reduce your air consumption if it's an issue. You'd be surprised at what you'll find if you spend a dive or two diving and photoing while paying attention to your movements and breathing.

Have fun with it!

I generally use more air with a camera especially with the bigger DSLR. I think like others have indicated, it is because you are concentrating on getting the shot which involves a bit more maneuvering and trying to hold poistion, especially if there is any current.

Cheers

I use air about 20 percent faster when I'm shooting. I think a lot of that is pushing a big camera and strobes through the water. There is also the concentratio aspect, plus I tend to drop lower than my buddies to get shots.

For me at least, there is no doubt I use gas a lot faster when I'm taking photos. That is one of the real benefits of a rebreather for shooting underwater.

Jeff

i shoot a p&s with a strobe and i have the opposite experience.
i seem to use less air when on a photography dive. in fact, photography has further improved my air consumption in general since ive gotten into it just about a year ago.
i used to use an intova 8megapix camera that didnt have a great sensor. because of this i needed to have excellent bouyancy and had to be real close to my subject to get even passable shots. i would concentrate on my breathing and sometimes hold my breath for a second to take a shot (only on macro shots with no/little current/surge).
i tought myself to stay bouyant while upside down, finning on my back, etc and i find that i adjust my bcd more now with micro busrt to get optimum bouyancy. i just didnt care much about PPB when i didnt have a camera, but now it was essential for my photography.
i have sold the intova and gotten a new camera, but the lessons i learned with that camera i will never forget.

just my 2 psi :)

Back
Top Bottom