LeisurePro vs LDS Package quote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as far as LP and scuba toys and the such, the person who said volume is correct. the BIG difference is that if they are an authorized dealer they can not sell the gear below what is called MAP ( manufactors adverised price ). this price is the same for all authorized dealers, the only difference is the profit the shop will make. they have a different price for dealers depending on how much of a manufactors gear they but a year.

wrong, wrong, wrong.

There is nothing keeping an authorized dealer on most brands from selling below MAP. MAP is ADVERTISE PRICE like you said. Not Minimum SELLING PRICE.

Dealers can sell it for what they want.

MAP is designed to keep "nationally advertised" prices from having one large dealer undercut another dealer on ADVERTISED price. However, once the customer is in the store, they can "quote" a price of whatever they want.

Since this thread is about Leisure Pro, when they became an authorized dealer for many brands over the past couple years, their advertised price on their website rose because of MAP. You can still call LP on the phone though on decent sized purchases and negotiate a lower price. (Just like you can at your LDS).

The only manufacturers that have a problem with selling below MAP is Aqualung and Scubapro, who don't want dealers to sell it below 10% off MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price.... or "List Price"). Of course LP doesn't worry about MAP with them as they are not authorized dealers. They can undercut pricing as much as they want. that's what makes them a force in this industry.... because they can...

as far as LP and scuba toys and the such, the person who said volume is correct. the BIG difference is that if they are an authorized dealer they can not sell the gear below what is called MAP ( manufactors adverised price ).

Just wanted to point out a few things regarding this post... First, I see we get grouped with LP a lot in these comments, and I'm sure that's because we also have a very large internet following, but I'd like to point out the major difference that our dive shop, with indoor heated pool, on site training, etc, is also an authorized dealer for everything we sell. We do not participate in the gray market sales. So every item we sell comes with a full manufacturers warranty as well as being backed by our customer service.

Now that does mean that some items on our pages are going to show a higher price than pages that are not authorized dealers for a product. But...

Regarding MAP, David said that as an authorized dealer "they can not sell the gear below what is called MAP ( manufactors adverised price )." This is actually not true. We just cannot advertise below a set price, but if someone gives us a call, we can put together any price we want on an item, or a package, and still offer the full warranty from the manufacturer.

How many times have you been to your local dive shop asking questions and getting answers then double checking online? We tend to go to the warm body first, get smart, then go to the cyber world of diving. I did anyway. I went back and got got that they're prices where so much more than online. They said 'from experience you will be back for more tutelidge later so we add a bit more now. I put them to task, they where right. Also they did come down it price a bit. I have bought online, just did yesterday. Got a smoking deal on Aqualung regs and a wing. Actually found them here. That said I pay my lds well to service them. When I pay full pop from them I do get great service. But I do not expect service for nothing, I can walk into a cyber shop. As new diver youll find out this is part of the guantlet of diving knowledge. Have fun, kevin

Just wanted to point out a few things regarding this post... First, I see we get grouped with LP a lot in these comments, and I'm sure that's because we also have a very large internet following, but I'd like to point out the major difference that our dive shop, with indoor heated pool, on site training, etc, is also an authorized dealer for everything we sell. We do not participate in the gray market sales. So every item we sell comes with a full manufacturers warranty as well as being backed by our customer service.

Now that does mean that some items on our pages are going to show a higher price than pages that are not authorized dealers for a product. But...

Regarding MAP, David said that as an authorized dealer "they can not sell the gear below what is called MAP ( manufactors adverised price )." This is actually not true. We just cannot advertise below a set price, but if someone gives us a call, we can put together any price we want on an item, or a package, and still offer the full warranty from the manufacturer.

As a Canadian online shopper I can attest to using Scubatoys and saying I have total confidence if I ever need something I cannot get here at home. They took a big step for me when my camera flooded. I 'thought I bought it there', but actually I purchased it from 'another' big internet dealer. Scubatoys had it back at my address so fast I thought they where located in my backyard. kevin(highjack over)

You will also pay import duties, which can be steep for new equipment, and they will call some of the gauges "electronics" and "sport equipment" also many times will raise the import duties. Ask LP about this - they should be able to tell you what the import fees will be..../snip/

What import duties? I spend a LOT of money on internet purchases from the U.S. and I pay the exact same in taxes that I would have been charged if I bought it locally. Many times I don't get charged a single additional cent (ie NO TAXES). Of course if you make the mistake and use UPS or FEDEX for shipping, you'll see some strange brokerage fees and other nonsense. I'd really love to know--just where did you get your information regarding 'steep' duties for goods imported into Canada--obviously not firsthand!

I agree with most of the above. I buy most of my big ticket items from either ST or LP, and I have never had a problem with either. Returns have been hassle-free with prompt refunds to my PayPal account.

Diving internet purchased gear hasn't created any overt problem for me, even though it is obvious to a knowledgeable dive shop employee that my BC (a Zeagle Brigade, sold only through ST) is an internet purchase.

If it is important for YOU to have a good relationship with the LDS, then that is something to seriously consider. If my LDS is close (within 10-15%) I will buy from them. If I were doing trips locally with my LDS on a routine basis I would probably be willing to pay more. However, most of my trips are vacations out of the country or diving the Channel Islands which are not LDS-involved trips. I do spend money locally, mostly for miscellaneous equipment.

I think one of the more important considerations is, where will you have you equipment serviced when it needs it? Some LDS will not service equipment that was not purchased from them. What is the local cost vs shipping back and forth? Also some manufactures offer lifetime parts, but only from authorized dealers and authorized repair centers. Otherwise the repair cost is insane! IE, Scubapro offers lifetime batteries on dive computers, bought from authorized dealer and original registered owner. If not cost is over $200.00!!!! for a battery! Things to consider, especially when buying from Ebay or Craigslist, not that it`s a bad thing, I have many times, but do you homework first. Also what if you have a question about your equipment? Email back and forth, somtimes waiting several days, for an answer that may not be clear to you. Or talk to somone face to face who knows the equipment well and get an answer that your happy with! And by supporting your LDS you help keep them afloat! In my area that is very important! nearest is 15 miles next is 50, and I won`t go there! Next over 100 miles! So if my LDS closes it would end my diving! Just my 2 cents.

Scubapro offers lifetime batteries on dive computers, bought from authorized dealer and original registered owner. If not cost is over $200.00!!!! for a battery!

This is perhaps the strongest argument for not buying Scubapro... and instead buying from companies that allow authorized dealers to sell their products on the net. Just my opinion...

$200 battery just makes no sense. Walk away for that reason and just go somewhere else whether online or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom