Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just reviewed all my posts in this thread (25 out of my last 48 posts, since 10:04 AM Jan 6th). Then glanced at the last closing in on 50 straight posts by Geoff_H in this thread since 12:25 AM Jan 6th.

Here is how Geoff_H starts his participation in this thread;

I see the idiots crewing the Ady Gil engineered a collision with one of the Japanese whaling ships and got themselves sunk.

This madness has to end or people will die.

The following are my only posts directly concerning Geoff_H's posts;

IMHO, if the Japanese were only taking Minke Whales, and only enough FOR RESEARCH, there would be a much smaller opposition.

Bringing your fish eating comment into the discussion kind of puts the hypocrisy of the Japanese stand into question; either this whale hunting is for food or it is as they "claim" for research?

440 whales, for research, can YOU do the math?

23 straight posts in the same thread in ~19 hours and still going? Is there any record keeping for this kind of streak?

14 in 14 seems to be the current second place.

29 in 23.25; there has got to be some record of the previous record :dork2:

Not much to add; just that 35 straight posts in the same thread in about 26 hours must count for something?

Up until this post, those are my only comments directed at Geoff_H until today, and now he choses to misspell my handle and use the wrong gender while discussing last years collision. :shakehead:

Real impressive way to intelligently debate. :mooner:

May the games begin. :no:

I am sure halemono and her ilk will come out and say the Steve Irwin had right of way and the Japanese whaler was deliberately trying to engineer the collision!

If I was in the smaller vessel and somebody tried to kill me, it wouldn't be a joking matter. Would it be for you?

We both know that you and I, as well as the rest of the world, are not silly enough to deliberately put our vessels in the one square mile that is in the direct path of another vessel?

The ocean in this area is is huge!!! There is enough room for everybody to play in those waters, doing silly doughnuts with the wakes and anything else that the heart desires, without getting hurt. Yet the SS insists on becoming chum by doing stupid crap like this.

I feel SS is at fault, but the video does not show enough footage of the events and the paths of the three vessel in the area before the big finale occured. From past actions, it seems like the SS got exactly what should happen when deliberately causing an action like this. I mean, run the gates of a train crossing in your car, and you could get this sort of outcome, too, or worse.

halemano

Once again you fail to debate the facts and are seemingly more concerned with typo's and post counts than whaling. I apologise for getting your gender wrong, I wrongly assumed you were a woman.

Let me correct my statement:

I am sure halemano and his ilk will come out and say the Steve Irwin had right of way and the Japanese whaler was deliberately trying to engineer the collision!

Can you provide a source for verification of that since it's already been disputed back and forth here?

I'm not sure about official criminal complaints, charges, amounts of time, etc, but he sure brags a lot about acts I would consider highly criminal. It also sounds like the military went after him in one case and he apparently managed to evade without them being able to board in their waters.

Link:
Sea Shepherd History - Sea Shepherd

I'm laughing at the thought of someone scuttling or sabotaging his boats/ships (in port - without anyone on them, of course) and how he would howl about it.. Just like he's now crying his eyes out that the Japanese whalers have basically attached them - something he's made a living at doing for 30+ years, or so he brags.

Can you provide a source for verification of that since it's already been disputed back and forth here?

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/1997/12/14/46028.html

It's also on Sea Shepherd's own website

Our History - Sea Shepherd

April - June: Concerned that the Norwegian warrant would hinder his travel in Europe, Captain Watson turns himself in for arrest in the Netherlands on April 2nd. The warrant issued by Norway demands that Captain Watson serve jail time for a conviction in absentia for the sinking of the outlaw whaler Nybraena in 1992. An international storm of protest follows, including protests at Norwegian and Dutch embassies worldwide. Following a hearing, Norway's extradition request is denied, and Watson is freed after spending 90 days in jail.

There are dozens of newspapers reporting the same

Touring Europe's prisons

Rogue Canadian environmentalist Paul Watson, co-founder of Greenpeace and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS), is currently being held in a Netherlands prison based upon what the SSCS calls a "falsified" INTERPOL arrest warrant issued by Norway. And despite questions surrounding the validity of the warrant, Foreign Affairs Canada says it will not intervene in the case.

Watson was arrested April 2 while traveling through Amsterdam on his Canadian passport. He is currently being held in Lelystad Penitentiary in Hoofddorp, where he is awaiting an extradition request from Norway. Watson was convicted in absentia in a Norway court for his role in the 1992 sinking of the Norwegian whaling ship Nybraena.

Seems churlish to refuse to admit Watson was tried and convicted in Norway when a two minute search shows their own website admitting it.

Once again you fail to debate the facts and are seemingly more concerned with typo's and post counts than whaling.

How about the fact that your first post in this thread has now been shown to be completely wrong; the "research" vessel deliberately attacked the AG and due to their negligence the collision occurred.

And how about the fact that I have repeatedly supported Japan's whaling rights;

Don't let your love of all your previous statements in this thread justify stupidity.

The reason no one has charged SS with criminal behavior that could result in punishment for actions in this many years long "battle" is only a few loonies and one loony country support the behavior of these whalers.

As I have said before, if they only took adult minke's beyond reproductive age in their own water for the true demand by their own citizens I have no real argument against their whaling, but since they chose to act like they can do what ever they feel is right in this far off place it would seem only right that SS can also act like they can do what ever they feel is right.

I fail to see that the SS have really endangered lives of the whalers, where as now it is obvious the whalers have endangered lives of SS crew. All that remains to be seen is if anybody with power and authority really cares about two entities behaving this way in that far off place.

As nearly always, I commend Captain Paul Watson for standing up to an entire National Government when no one else has the balls to do anything of substance.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about official criminal complaints, charges, amounts of time, etc, but he sure brags a lot about acts I would consider highly criminal. It also sounds like the military went after him in one case and he apparently managed to evade without them being able to board in their waters.

Link:
Sea Shepherd History - Sea Shepherd

Thanks I'll check out that link. I've looked after some of the accusations here as well, but have been unable to substantiate any of them. But one has to think with all the smoke there's bound to be a fire somewhere.

Not that it matters but...in WWII they ignored the vanquished in the water during the battle, even if they were your own sailors from another ship. You maneuvered your own ship regardless of who was in the water even if that meant driving right over the top of your own people.

Of course, after the battle, sure, pick up survivors but I think the pirates had 2 other ships in the area to help with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/1997/12/14/46028.html

It's also on Sea Shepherd's own website

Our History - Sea Shepherd

There are dozens of newspapers reporting the same

Touring Europe's prisons

Seems churlish to refuse to admit Watson was tried and convicted in Norway when a two minute search shows their own website admitting it.

I'll take a look at those in a minute. From a previous link:

In January 1988, Captain Paul Watson flew to Iceland to accept responsibility for the sinking of the ships. The Icelandic government refused to lay charges because Iceland knew that a trial would expose their illegal operations.

I think many of us are still looking for proof that there is a warrant for Captain Watson's arrest today? A current valid official link would clear up the matter, or a point back in the thread for those of us who missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom