Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Posts and quotes referring to prior war atrocities have been removed due to their potential inflammatory nature and were not relevant to the topic at hand.

Carry on Gentlemen!

Mr__Spock.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

Hello.. Im in the frozen tundra of Alabama.. I was waiting for your plane to come pick me up.. Still have not seen it yet..

Damn thing won't start. Too cold in Key West.

Since most of the participants to this discussion have left and only childlike blather remains I will take a break and return later when hopefully a few adults are able to carry on a conversation.

Congratulations to all the educated SB members I have encountered today, you have really shown the reason for your reputations both here and probably in the real world!

Unfortunately that type of internet behavior is common for people that lack the stones to do the same in the real world.:shakehead:

Sincerely,
15/15
:rofl3:

I'd love to see the GPS tracklines, but it sure looks like the whaler made a long sweeping turn to port back 1/2 mile or so to come alongside the Ady Gil and hose them down. That would mean that the whaler burdened themselves as the overtaking vessel and royally screwed up. I take back many of my earlier comments.

Thanks, Frank.

I think the SS are at fault. I think the SS were forcing the whalers into propeller faouling nets, the whalers made a course adjustment to their starboard to avoid the hazard, and the SS sped up in manner to play chicken to try and force the whalers to turn to port into the propellar fouling nets. Couple miles back, the SS overtook and passed in front of the bow of the "hauling-ass" whaling ship.

I saw what you saw, witch was what looked like intentional bearing down to starboard by the whalers to run over the batmobile. But I also saw what others pointed out earlier was the acceleration of the batmobile more into the path of the whalers.

Interesting how this will be ruled.

My liability car insurance will not pay the medical bills of any person in the event I intentionally run them off the road or who suffer as a result of other maliscious criminal actions in my driving. I wonder if the SS insurance for the batmobile will pay for the result of their reckless actions that day.

Well who had the onus to avoid? If the smaller craft with the right of way makes an unexpected move they lose the right of way status; The Shonan Maru Captain's aggressive actions resulted in the ramming and destruction of the Ady Gil, yet you "blame" the Ady Gil crew?

If this had happened as speculated by the whale hunt defenders for over 300 posts (in the act of harassing) then your statements might be valid, but the AG was not actively harassing when the obvious assault happened. :idk:

pssst

pssssst pssssst

what the hell you smoking? Seriously. Does it make the pain go away, too? Can i get some of that sh-t?

Dood, hook a brother up!

Now you seem to be acting like a politician; a tried and true way to not lose an argument is to change the subject and try to cause a fire storm about some totally unrelated $h!t.

Geofff,

Looks like you have a new stalker / wannabe boifriend / fan.

The Japanese whaling ship rammed and eventually sank the Ady Gil in open ocean but the Japanese did not stop to assist the survivors of the sinking vessel.

Apparently the moderators of this forum believe that such information is too inflammatory to be printed here on Scubaboard and are editing posts that make the Japanese look bad.

I will not stand for censorship and repeat what I said. The Japanese have a long history of failing to assist survivors of ships that the Japanese have sank. There is nothing "off track" about this fact.

LIVES4SHARKS:
Your post has been edited and those following in reference to Japanese conducts in WWII. Due to the explosive nature that this thread can turn, it is in the best interest of the spirit of the board to keep the topic on track. We understand how posters can get our feathers ruffled, but instead of baiting, you can choose to ignore or report the poster.

We do appreciate your cooperation and hope you understand. If you have any questions please PM me.

Carolyn:shark2:

I've been doing some research regarding the need for the Japanese Fishing/Whaling Industry and their need to continue this "scientific" campaign at the Antarctic. It's taking a fair amount of time as the data isn't easily available, or transparent.

1. The operating expense for this yearly fleet (7 boats) may easily run upwards of 10-20 million dollars a year for a 3/4 month campaign.
2. Japanese fisheries, especially pelagic fisheries are on a statistical decline due to dwindling resources.
3. Personnel in this industry is also on the decline with an aging population of workers - not unlike agriculture in most developed nations
4. The government of Japan subsidizes some aspects of the whaling operation - so it's not a private enterprise.
5. Consumption of whale meat in Japan has been on a steady decline for a while
6. There seems to be a profit margin attached with this yearly "scientific" campaign. The % profit is something I'm trying to discover. When you factor in the aggregate costs associated with this endeavour it looks pretty slim. Especially when you cannot move the product.

X

I will not stand for censorship and repeat what I said. The Japanese have a long history of failing to assist survivors of ships that the Japanese have sank. There is nothing "off track" about this fact.

Then you won't mind me repeating the rebuttal that the Sea Shepherd support ship was a couple of hundred metres away and in an easy position to render assistance. Given what the Ady Gil has been trying to do - disable the whaler - is it quite so surprising they were reticient about stopping?

Also - last year - the whalers stopped their whaling and assisted the effort to find two Sea Shepherd sailors who had drifted away from their main ship, and were lost and in real danger.

These seem more relevant than WWII conduct to me, but don't let the facts distort your opinion

Links:

Pirates found, battle resumes

Two missing Sea Shepherd activists have been found safe in the Antarctic, and hostilities have resumed against the Japanese whaling fleet.

The whalers called a truce to help the hardline anti-whaling group in their search caused when the two aboard a Zodiac inflatable dinghy disappeared suddenly in fog in icy waters south-west of Australia.

Sea Shepherd president Paul Watson told theage.com.au the inflatable's engine broke down, stranding Karl Nielsen, of Perth, Western Australia, and John Gravois of Los Angeles, USA.

"We just kept going out from one point in a circular search until we found them," said Captain Watson, aboard the Sea Shepherd flagship Farley Mowat. "They were standing up and waving and smiling."

Captain Watson said he had thanked the Japanese for their assistance, and then told them, "now it's back to business." He said the other Sea Shepherd vessel, Robert Hunter, was back on the stern of Nisshin Maru.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom