Scuba stuff in thrift stores.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox was discussed in our OW class.

The particulars of the legal issues concerning filling a bottle labeled, "Nitrox Only" with regular air, however, was likely considered more apt for the actual nitrox class.

Hoomi, given that the board seems stuck on educating you on Nitrox :wink: instead of talking about thrift store finds . . . maybe you should consider asking a mod to close the thread?

I, for one, am eternally grateful for you posting your 'find' so I could go snag it! :worship:

Here's the second tank - about the size of a Spare Air, I think, and with one 'continuous' line around the neck. What the heck is it, and what's it for?

TC - 3ALM20700T - 3AL3000 BV007156 M4002 07C04 CATALINA S6
TC – Transport Canda
3AL – Aluminum Spec (Can)
M207 – Service Pressure in bar
00T = ??????

Assuming
3AL - Aluminum Spec (US)
3000 - Service Pressure in psi
BV007156 = Serial number
M4002 = Manufacture ID
07 = Month of Manufacturer
C = Inspector
04 = Year of Manufacturer
CATALINA = Manufacturer
S6 = Model

M4002 = Manufacture ID for Catalina
M8303 = Faber

It would not worry about making the 6cuft an argon bottle unless diving trimix as the consensus is that there is little benefit. It is good to have around for filling bike tires and other misc items. Just get a old reg and but a bcd hose on it with a tire filler. That said I use mine with air for dry suit inflation.

Oh yeah, forget about those silly nitrox stickers and get some real ones :

http://www.airspeedpress.com/stickers2.html

Back to the original thread line....

Just after getting certified in '89, I found my first regulator in a second-hand shop. A nice chrome USD Conshelf 14 with a Dacor gauge console I bought for $30 IIRC. It was in good shape and breathed well when hooked to a tank; but just to be sure, I took it to the LDS, had it serviced, bought a new Conshelf 21 octo, and used it for the next four years till I upgraded to a newer USD SE3 reg. Ah, memories....:sigh:

Last edited:
Introducing "normal" e grade air into a vessel that has been labeled as Oxygen Clean is dangerous to subsequent users.

Is it? Really? :popcorn:

Hoomi, given that the board seems stuck on educating you on Nitrox :wink: instead of talking about thrift store finds . . . maybe you should consider asking a mod to close the thread?

I, for one, am eternally grateful for you posting your 'find' so I could go snag it! :worship:

Yeah, it seems funny that people keep missing it when I state that I know what Nitrox is.

One of my jobs here at work is replacing the fuel cells and calibrating the oxygen sensors in a couple of closed rooms. One is a room with a high pressure nitrogen compressor, and the other is in a room with several large refrigeration compressors. In either room, a leak could result in a dangerously low oxygen level in the room, so the sensors monitor the O2 level and set off an alarm if it drops below a set threshold.

To calibrate these sensors, I use two gas bottles. One with the normal 20.8% oxygen level, and one that is 100% nitrogen. Both of these are solid, metal bottles, but with labels warning that it is against Federal Law to refill them, period. No clause about returning to the supplier for proper refill, etc. When they are empty, they get thrown into the recycle bin.

Now, if Federal Law can be so strict concerning a much lower pressure bottle filled with either regular air or with pure nitrogen, it would not have been any surprise to me that similar laws could be on the books concerning the filling of bottles labeled for Nitrox. It has since been repeated numerous times that there are not such laws, but at the time of the original post, I had not researched whether there were or not. I was going strictly by the label on the bottles, which stated to fill ONLY with Nitrox.

Yeah, I was silly and read the label.

Just so that it hopefully cannot be missed...

I know what Nitrox is, thank you.

And frankly, if I had a Nitrox bottle, I'd have to go with those Voodoo Gas stickers. Those are great.

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about. Couldn't get a damn flight.

I've read Knowone's messages. Most of them actually make sense, and its "fun" trying to figure out what he's saying.

I take this message to mean that thrift stores are the bomb because you can get fantastic deals, just like Jax did. If Knowone was able to get a flight (from Oz), he would've snagged those tanks as well.

Its a little tongue-in-cheek, but there.

As for me, this is what I snagged in a junk shop for 10 dollars:

IMG_3180.jpg

That was a ganga find, Ed!

Best find ever: an older-style DRYSUIT, full uncrushed 5mm neoprene with working valves, for $99 at a Value Village.

I snapped it up (intending to cut off the feet and use it as a wetsuit - I didn't own my first wetsuit yet!) but when I took it to my OW instructor for his opinion, he said he didn't think it had even seen 5 dives yet. I simply hung onto it, and later on used it as my first drysuit until I later bought my Whites bilaminate.

Photo of me in the discount-store suit:

FF_surface_interval_sept_04.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom