Does PADI Allow to combine to specialties certification in one inmersion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question is: Whay cant we do the PPB certification while doing the Deep certification? It's not like they are mutually exclusive, or I would be over tasked by doing so.

It's not about being compatible or not. You need time in the water to improve at diving and there really are no short cuts.

If you don't have the time to do both in the time you have then do the PPB. Those are core skills. Take the deep dives later when you have the time.

R..

If you did PPB for advanced its only 1 extra dive. Deep would be 3 dives assuming you already have padi AOW.

Best schedule assuming that is Day 1:- Deep dive 1, afternoon PPB dive

Day 2:- Deep dives 2 and 3
I really think that you should complete PPB and have fully integrated the skills taught before you move on to a deep course.

If you did PPB for advanced its only 1 extra dive. Deep would be 3 dives assuming you already have padi AOW.
String is correct, but I'll add a caveat. Counting the Adventure dive toward its corresponding specialty is at the instructor's discretion. He/she might consider how long it's been since you did your advanced, whether you have records of dives with similar skills/environments, whether they've seen you dive before, and how you do on your first specialty dives.

I absolutely agree with the advice of others: - try for more dives (i.e. more fun and experience) rather than fewer.

Yeah, yeah. I tried the same routine with the instructor when I got the AOW cert. I questioned that on a doubledip shipwreck dive to 120 feet I'd be doing a boat dive, deep and wreck and I could do buoyancy, narc and compass while I was down there so why not combine the six of them on two dives (beanaz I had 170 dives anyway and about a third of them deep wreck dives). No dice. Gotta make four different dives to cover everything.

Since you have a long way to go, why not just try to make a vacation out of it? That way you can get in all your dives, plus a couple more for practice and fun, and have a little less stress that way.

Training is more about the knowledge and experiences, than it is about certification. As others have mentioned, to consolidate two classes would take time away from both of them. You really want to get as much out of each class as you can, you paid a lot of money for them after all, so make your instructor work hard for his/her money!

As Yoda would say "Patience, you must have Patience" :)

As discussed the reasons they want you to split it are:
  • Better absorption of the skills when you are diving
  • Less Task loading
  • Not having to really push to get in the skills you need to do.
On top of that
  • You have paid for the full course, you want to get value for money.
  • You may find the diving less enjoyable if you spend your whole time concentrating on skills.

For me it's not too far to drive to do the boat dives (normally about 1:45 if I don't have to stop on the way), but I still normally stay down there due cause the instructor schedules an early morning dive.

Basically it means more dives you are doing, and more time to get the skills right.

I want the training, but what I don't want is my instructor charging me for almost twice as much as it would cost me to go diving on my own (even worse since I dive with a dive op and he just rents a "panga"). Since we don´t live by the sea, he charges a lot just to come to certify us (my buddy is in the same situation), so if the certifications can be made in only one weekend, that would be better for me.

+1 on most of the previous comments. These dives are about learning something, not about getting a card. Why cut corners when you have the opportunity to learn more. If it were legal to do and I were the instructor, how much effort do you think I would be motivated to put into the training if you were wanting to cram everything into 2 or 3 dives. Especially when the 2 specialties don't really lend themselves to doing this anyway.

When you try to go cheap that is exactly what you get. Forget about the specialties for now and just dive. Do you have your core skills down pat? Can you perform all basic skills horizontal in midwater while hovering and swimming? If not then work on that. If you really try and put some thought and effort into it you may find that the PPB is not needed. You should have gotten enough info in OW to weight yourself correctly, realize what happens when you move weights around, and see what happens when you vary amounts. That is PPB and is actaully taught in some OW classes. It should be in all but when things get shortened up things also get left out.

Deep is something that you should not be considering until you have your other skills down pat. One weekend? How much classroom is involved? What gas planning is included? What extra physiology info will you get? All of that should be in a good deep course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom