What did you overcome to achieve your diving dream?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm want to hear the stories of thoes who overcame adversity or obsticals to achieve whatever they wanted in diving.

Me? I've ALWAYS wanted to cave dive and wreck dive. I have type 1 diabetes and I believe I can take on both of these. I've got a constant gluecose monitor with my insulin pump now and I'm working on getting some really, REALLY tight control on my diabeties.

Now to find instructors that will not be scared away because of my diabeties.

Let me hear your stories, please.

Jeremy

Well, nothing like your diabetes (congratulations on taking control of that, BTW!) but I've had to fight with vertigo from the time I started diving. There was a long time when I thought that my disorientation issues might not even let me boat dive, let alone tech or cave dive. When I took my cavern class, I ended up in tears the second night, after I had turned upside-down without knowing it TWICE while trying to do the lights-out exit.

I'm Full Cave now, and did a 48 minute lights-out swim as part of that class, and had no instability issues at all. I can still get wonky in midwater without a reference, but I haven't hit the surface because of it in a long time. It took a lot of determination and a LOT of time and dives, but I think I've got it about as controlled as it can possibly be.

Thanks TSandM. That's great encouragement.

Keep the stories comming.

Jeremy

Congrats to you, JK, for your courage and success. I have no stunning stories to tell you about myself, but here's a link to another group that deals with Type 1 Diabetes, only on road bikes, and against some really stiff world-class competition. If you're not familiar with them, thought you might be interested ...

Team Type 1 - Homepage

The one thing I had to overcome was a lifelong fear of water. I would never swim, let alone in open water, snorkel, or do anything. Heck, I could barely swim. While I just made it through the 600m part of the OW class, I still need to work on it. But overall I am getting more and more comfortable. It really helps that I found out I am positively bouyant naturally, so Snorkeling is easy, and I kick myself that I waited until I was 38 to certify in diving.

The Vertigo thing crept up on me in the quarry once, and it was very unnerving. Hasn't happened since, but that will make you suck some air!

I was once told I would never be able to dive. I spent 30 years with my ears not being able to pop. And I mean no matter what was tried, no popping. I remember the first time I flew, the pain was excruciating and I landed not being able to hear for 30 minutes. I brought this up to numerous ENTs but they just shrugged me off. But I didn't give up. I found an ENT, who happened to be a diver, who decided to listen to me. He tested my ears and realized they wouldn't pop. (told him so) So he worked me on various ear exercises and the same maneuver as equalizing in the water 3 times a day every day. After 3 months my ears popped for the first time. I was so excited. On my next appointment my ENT did a pressure test on my ears and I rated better than average and...

he signed my diving medical form. :)

I also had a lifelong fear of the water.....no swimming as a child, couldn't go under without holding my nose as an adult. Husband encouraged me, and never pushed me into diving. He's been completely supportive, and the best dive buddy I could have asked for.

Health issues which although not really related to diving or diving safety, shook my confidence and my trust in my my own body. There was a long period of time where I was not sure that I would be able to live life on my own terms anymore. I now dive safely and confidently and am respectful of those times when I need not to based not so much on my condition but meds that I have to take on occasion. Oftentimes if we listen to our bodies, they will tell us what we need to do or not do.

Have you seen a proper dive medicine physician? It may be that "tight" control, although ideal on land, will not be ideal for diving. I would think that you would be safer underwater if your blood sugars were a bit higher than desirable and if you always had a complex pro/cho/fat snack before each dive. (sorry, off topic, but I used to work with athletes with Type 1 diabetes).

Good luck and dive safely.

Last edited:
I just certified a guy with type 1. He wears a pump. He had his doctor approval. He is already active in a wide field of sports so he is in terrific shape, he is mature (37) and knows his body well. He took his pump off for the ocean dives and monitored himself. I had zero problems diving with him or instructing him.

Have you seen a proper dive medicine physician? It may be that "tight" control, although ideal on land, will not be ideal for diving. I would think that you would be safer underwater if your blood sugars were a bit higher than desirable and if you always had a complex pro/cho/fat snack before each dive. (sorry, off topic, but I used to work with athletes with Type 1 diabetes).

Good luck and dive safely.

I have not seen a dive medicine physician but you are right. Most instructors are so worried about hypoglycemia, as they should; However, what most do not realize is that if you're a Type 1, your body makes absolute NO insulin! Once I disconnect from my pump, I'm not getting insulin anymore. I eat a Whole wheat, bannana sandwich with peanut butter and without the insulin being pumped into me, I'm good for about 6 hours of elevated sugar levels...no Hypo in site! I know this b/c I've been diabetic since I was 25 years old.

Most advanced instructors will take a type 2 diabetic over a type 1 but they fail to understand the difference between the two. Since the type 2 still makes their own insulin, sometimes they get in the water with higer sugars, but after swimming and such their body produces some insulin, mixed with the pills that they took, and low and behold they are in hypo!!

Thanks everyone,
Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom