Newbie Gear Question regarding masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for a really good mask for fresh/saltwater dives. Any advice would be great.

Where is a good reliable place online to purchase SCUBA gear at great prices?

Thanks

Ken Devorak

Leasurepro.com if your in the states or canada, Lucas divestore (follow my last link) if your in europe or anywhere else are two good sites :)

Masks are things you don't want to buy online till you can find one that fits...

There are tons of threads bout the way to select a mask, please read b4 buying.

SangP

Definitely, mask fit is key to a good/bad dive. Go to a shop and try on different masks. Sometimes you can get away with a cheaper mask, sometimes not. You get what you pay for, but remember, a leaking mask will deter a good dive experience.

Carolyn:shark2:

Looking for a really good mask for fresh/saltwater dives. Any advice would be great.

Where is a good reliable place online to purchase SCUBA gear at great prices?

Thanks

Ken Devorak

I particularly love my atomic frameless mask. It has a great field of view, is really low volume, and just fits my face really well. There are two sizes, and it can seem expensive at $99, but in my opinion is completely worth it.

There is no difference between salt and fresh in terms of selecting a mask. The mask must fit well and the only way to do that is to try them on in a local dive shop. Period.

After that, I prefer lower volume and no purge. Here is but one place to start Mask Fitting

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask

This is scuba diving magazine's review

Atomic Aquatics Frameless/Medium Fit Frameless

The shape of the Atomic Frameless lens was computer-designed to maximize field of view both side-to-side and vertically, and no mask tested here could beat it. In both the full-sized version and the slightly narrower Medium Fit version, we measured an impressive 85 degrees of horizontal vision and 75 degrees vertical. In terms of in-water performance, Atomic's choice of top-shelf materials had a number of surprising benefits. The lens is made of UltraClear tempered glass, which reduces distortion and improves light transmission, resulting in better visibility. In the clear skirt version, we were able to see through the skirt with surprising clarity--it was almost as clear as the glass. Bonus: The soft silicone skirt with a wide double-edge seal sticks to your face like a magnet. The nose pocket is roomy, too.

Bottom line: This is our overall favorite frameless mask. It fits great, has a wide field of view, great squeeze-tab buckles, and it folds up flat in a cool low-profile case. Price: $99.

A mask can have the best viewing angles, the best materials, the best everything... if it doesn't fit it'll be the best paperweight.

I had the atomics subframe ARC, it had everything I wanted except the fit. I still love my Tusa M23QB.

SangP

Salt water... Fresh water... all the same when choosing your mask. Mostly I'd consider the parts of the mask that are important to you. Purge or non-purge? The purge is a nice convenience. I like to compare it to power steering in a car. Most of our grandparents and many of our parents drove without it for decades and thought nothing of it. Today we'd not even consider buying a car without it. Do we NEED it? No. Is it a convenience? Yes. Basically it allows you to clear your mask simply by exhaling through your nose as you dive, without touching your mask. For me as an instructor and an underwater photographer, I love the fact that I don't have to fiddle with my mask.

Next, low volume without side windows or higher volume with side windows? Side windows were originally put in masks way back in the "dark ages" of black rubber skirts. The idea was basically to allow light into the mask and get rid of some of the tunnel vision effect. They were HUGE and heavy. Some had metal frames with stainless steel screws holding them together. They weren't selling all that well until some slick sales rep starting spouting off about "improved peripheral vision". Then all of a sudden divers were lining up for the kool aid.
Basically, if you hold a 1 or 2 window mask up, side by side, to an average mask with side windows, buckle to buckle as it'd sit on your face, you'll find that most low volume mask's lenses stop at about the same point the side windows start on the higher volume mask. Basically your peripheral vision is about the same. It pretty much comes down to comfort and impression. If you like the feel and view through one, get it. If not, get the other. There realy isn't a "right or wrong".

The strap really isn't a huge consideration exept maybe with something like the XS Scuba M-line series of masks such as the Z Duo . A strap such as this has a pad that helps keep the mask from tangling in your hair when not using a hood, is a great deal thicker than the average strap so won't break as easily (not that I've ever broken a mask strap myself) and allows the diver to adjust the mask while wearing it as opposed to having to take it off and tighten/loosen the mask then try it on for fit.

Another thought is whether or not you require optical lenses in your mask. Drop-in lenses can correct for the magnification in your prescription or give you "guage readers" on the bottom portion of your lens. The more common masks with optics use a common shaped lens that can be swapped out with the stock, clear lenses in a matter of minutes. If you have special needs in your prescription, you can also have custom lenses ground by an optician.

These days with most masks using some form of crystal or surgical grade silicone it is easier than ever to get a mask to fit one's face. Myself, I can get just about any random mask to fit comfortably and reasonably well. That wasn't always the case. When I first learned to dive, the rubber skirts were unforgiving enough that you really did have to take the time to try on every mask in the store to search for the one with the correct fit. I was unfortunate enough to find a mask back then that fit perfect! Unfortunately the ONLY one that fit was also the most expensive mask in the store.

In the end it really comes down to your personal preference. If you find a mask that you like the looks of, chances are pretty good if that particular one doesn't fit the way you like, another manufacturer has one very similar to it that will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom