Quality Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get the Aeris Atmos II (same as the Oceanic VT Pro without the airless), for $300 from ScubaToys (Larry will match Leisure Pro's prices - complete with warranty).

Oceanic and Aeris are the same guts - in fact, they share the same text in the manual. It is nitrox capable - even if you don't use it now, you should probably get it. It has a replaceable face-plate protector which should help you deal with the dings...

Regardless of AI or not, take backup for depth, pressure & time... Of course, you knew that already...:wink:

Aeris Atmos 2. A great computer, easy to read screen, good intuitive interface, all the stats you need and you can put it on your wrist, put it in a retractor for BC attachment or use it in a console. Very flexible configuration. I also agree with gj62 above that Scuba Toys is a great place to go for the purchase with a very good price.

Dry Diver:
I'm looking to stay under $500. I'm a little afraid of the hoseless style. My luck I would lose it. I'm a commercial diver part time and my equipment gets dinged up. I don't dive Nitrox. Actually, I never really considered it.

Dry diver...for your caracteristics your choice is clear for me...a Aladin Pro..it´s the cheapest model of the uwatec line..the most proven...VERY rugged...i´ve seen a lot of commercial divers using it with no problem...its cost is less tah 200 dolars here in spain...i don´t know how much there in USA.

Take the money you would have spent on a dive computer and purchase education.

First take a GUE DIRf for about the price of a non-integrated air/nitrox computer.
Then take a GUE Tech 1 for about the price of a *tech* computer.

I've been diving with an Uwatec Aladin Pro for a couple of years now and I'm very satisfied. I was recently looking at the Smart Pro which is a new version including all sort of new features but it is a little more expensive. Personally I like wearing computers on my wrist, easy to see etc. and also I have my regular guages as backup. The computer is only battery operated after all.

DandyDon:
Yep! 50% more bottom time when you get deep enough that you run out of time before you run out of air.

I really like the Oceanic Versa Pro. All sorts of beneifts, see http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/2004/p_computers_versapro.html

Bought mine at Leisure Pro, with scratch guard, for $280.
I too love the Versa Pro...compact, easy to read, user replaceable batteries!!!!! Totally user friendly!

I too was looking into my first computer and posted a thread loking at dive computer comparison.
I then started to look into the Suunto Vyper. The LDS that I am going to get my equipment at advised me that I should get the Versa Pro for the Money. Considering they could have easily got me into the Vyper without any question they lead me to the Oceanic. They told me that it was one of there best selling computers and they haven't had any troubles. One of my friends has the Oceanic and loves it. Looks Like I am going diving the oceanic. :54:

As for the price, well for the full set BC, Reg, Octo, and Computer with navigational console ~$190 over LP. Nat bad considering the perks of the LDS.

-Joe

Diverite Nitek 3 $499 at EZ Scuba (authorized dealer, includes full warranty) (813) 887-5712

although both of these are a little out of the $500 price range, I am a big fan of Suunto and Cochran. I'm diving a Suunto Cobra right now, but if I had to make the purchase over again, I'd fork it all over into a Cochran commander.

1.) Suunto does not have a USB interface although the computer itself rocks the Casbah! The Cochran does.

2.) Cochran's sampling is incredible and it's RGBM algorithms are considerably more liberal than Suunto's.

3.) I've had fewer problems using Cochran's software than Suunto's Dive Manager (esp. v1.51)

4.) When I dove with a Commander, I think they are a little more user-friendly. Plus they are infinitely customizable and I like the wrist mount thingy.

Still, I like my Cobra, and since I'm not a commercial diver it'll work just fine for me. I just pray that Suunto comes out with a USB interface for it.

-PV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom