Panasonic GF1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious - does anyone know if any of the GF1 10bar housing ports can be used together with the Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm?

I mean will it in theory fit, with no optical obstructions or vignetting, zoomed out at its widest angle? And it doesn't matter whether the zoom gear works or not - you'd probably always want to use such a lens at its widest setting anyway underwater

I have a GF1, and a G1. Thinking of getting an Oly 9-18mm because I can use the grad ND filters with it. I can't do so with 7-14mm. Having two super wide angle lenses just to have one dedicated on land and one for underwater seems like a loooot of unnecessary money to spend...

Sorry for resurrecting old post...

Curious - does anyone know if any of the GF1 10bar housing ports can be used together with the Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm?

I mean will it in theory fit, with no optical obstructions or vignetting, zoomed out at its widest angle? And it doesn't matter whether the zoom gear works or not - you'd probably always want to use such a lens at its widest setting anyway underwater

I have a GF1, and a G1. Thinking of getting an Oly 9-18mm because I can use the grad ND filters with it. I can't do so with 7-14mm. Having two super wide angle lenses just to have one dedicated on land and one for underwater seems like a loooot of unnecessary money to spend...

Sorry for resurrecting old post...

As it is just an issue of how far it sticks out, and then the zoom, would be easy to figure out. But I am surprised that you would still be using ND filters. With high dynamic range technology, raw and photoshop, it is fairly easy to out do the best Gradient filters. Obviously, as wide angles go, the 7-14 is a better choice underwater.

I just ordered the 10bar housing from Optical Ocean Sales. It has the updated single function controls. Jack assured me that the 9-18 would work in the dome port with no vignetting. I also will receive gears to control focus and zoom underwater.

Along with that I ordered the HW Lumix-TTL adapter from Heinrichs Weikamp. This should allow me to hook up my YS120 strobes with TTL.

I'll post pics when I get it all set up. :D

I just ordered the 10bar housing from Optical Ocean Sales. It has the updated single function controls. Jack assured me that the 9-18 would work in the dome port with no vignetting. I also will receive gears to control focus and zoom underwater.

Along with that I ordered the HW Lumix-TTL adapter from Heinrichs Weikamp. This should allow me to hook up my YS120 strobes with TTL.

mtbrider,

did u received the housing & the HW Lumix-TTL adapter? I have both but the TTL not working well with my YS90DX or YS110.

BTW, the adapter is too long and u can't lock the housing if it's installed on the hotshoe.

Tom

Both of my Sea and Seas got destroyed this summer so I'm looking for something new. Seems S&S outsources the camera bodies, so I'm going to make a brand change.

I bought a Lumix DMC-GF1 recently and am getting to know it. Google tells me I can get an INON-x 2 or a Seatool housing. Is it worth getting a U/W housing or a whole new setup of something else?

mtbrider,

did u received the housing & the HW Lumix-TTL adapter? I have both but the TTL not working well with my YS90DX or YS110.

BTW, the adapter is too long and u can't lock the housing if it's installed on the hotshoe.

Tom

I received them both yesterday. The connector on the Lumix-TTL adapter was too tall so I had to desolder it and put the wires directly on the board. It is a tight fit but the housing does close with the adapter in the shoe. I don't think this will be a problem.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the o-ring seal on the 10bar housing. The outer seal does not seal all the way on the left side, even without the camera mounted. Hopefully this problem can be resolved.

I am going to test my strobes later today.

The Lumix-TTL adapter is working pretty good with my YS-120 strobes. I notice that at F22 it's a little darker than F4, maybe 1/2 stop, but the TTL is definitely working. The first snapshot after turning the camera on is full power but after that it works TTL, kinda odd. The YS-120 strobes kick butt in recycle time, they can go as fast as the camera can. :) The camera disables automatic high speed with a flash but tapping the shutter results in maybe 2 shots per second.

I'm going to exchange the housing for another one, it was no problem for the vendor. Other than the seal the 10bar housing works pretty well. The rear wheel is a bit fiddly but if you do a 'double-press-and-hold-then-turn' it is okay. The mode selection wheel is a bit hard to turn as well but nothing too extra-ordinary.

Im new to this, does this mean with this converter you can use an optical cable instead of an electrical cable to generate TTL?

Got the replacement housing, the seal is great on this one. The mode knob was not threaded straight so it wobbles and hits the drive mode switch, not a big deal.

Somehow I broke the zoom gear for the 9-18, I'm going to see if I can glue it. Looks like these parts were machined Delrin in the past, from images on the web, but now they seem to be molded nylon. I opened it up to slip it over the lens and it snapped.

Support from Jack at OOS has been good, no complaints there.

I did a dive with just the housing, no problems. Maybe this weekend I'll get to actually use it.

Back
Top Bottom