Panasonic GF1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am considering putting a GF1 in either a 10bar or Seatool housing, and getting ports for the 14-45 and the 7-14, with the idea that I can put a diopter on the front of the 14-45 when I want more macro.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these options.

I am not sure 10bar has a port for the 7-14, though.

10bar sure has a nice price, but they only have the dome for the 14-45, the 20mm (40 mm equv.) and macro lens flat ports.

Seatool obviously has more choices.

Been told the Seatool is very nice..and a dome for the 7-14, and the flat port for the 45mm would seem to be a great combo. But the cost is more than twice that of the 10Bar. So it sort of comes down to price versus options. If I can afford it, going with seatool.

Also been told the expected price for the Inon will be similar to the seatool or higher (around $1,800 to start)

Also been told the expected price for the Inon will be similar to the seatool or higher (around $1,800 to start)

Sounds you have been talking to the same people I have.

This is what Jack Connick wrote at oly thread but I decided to ask my question here hope its OK.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/332374-today-christmas-pt-e01-has-arrived-2.html

I just talked to 10Bar and their E-PL1 housing is in production and he says it will ship early in May, like 10 days!

It will use the same ports that he has for the GF-1 and accommodate all of the Oly lenses and you should be able to use the Panny lenses as well. It should look something like the GF-1 housing, but will have improved dedicated controls.

Jack

Dear Jake!
Do you by any chance know if 10bar will make GF1 case with dedicated controls (I mean new back cover). Current design kinda frustrates me. I will have to buy a housing pretty soon and not sure if it will be easy to operate.

Thank you!

I am novice at the UW fotography. This converter obviously has some advantages to me. Would it work with Inon S2000 strobe? Isn`t 10 bar case already equipped with a converter?

It will not work with the S2000 unfortunately. You need electrical interface on your strobe, which can be found on the Inon Z240.

10Bar housing does NOT have a TTL converter, just the optional port to connect the electrical link between the HW ttl converter and the strobe (through the housing).

Hope that helps...

I'm still waiting for more details on the INON housing. Supposed to be available at the end of this month. I would like the option for electical TTL, so I'm hoping the INON housing also has a port for the connection.

I too am anxious for information on the X2 housing so I can compare the price and features to the Seatool. I am close to giving up and getting the Seatool because I would like to have a housing and ports by June and I can't tell how soon the Inon is going to hit the market.

Maybe there will be some news after Golden Week is ended in Japan.

nikitich: Have you considered using an optical connection between the housing and strobe? No converter required.

nikitich: Have you considered using an optical connection between the housing and strobe? No converter required.[/QUOTE]

Well i guess that is the only option I have. I think that s2000 stobe comes without the fiberoptic cable. As far as I understood it is the best to commect it via the cable instead of the light sensor wich could be triggered by other strobes. The original inon cable is rather expensive. Should I buy it or there are cheaper alternatives of the same quality?
I plan to use 10 bar GF1 housing.
Thank you!

I have fiber optic cables and have had no problems. At least so far, I am quite happy with fiber optics and have no desire to change.

I use the cheaper fiber optic cables that one can get from places like divervision, and have had no problems, but I have heard that the Inon cables are better, in that they transmit more light. I don't know if this is correct or if it matters. It hasn't been a problem for me. The price difference isn't great, something like $25.00. If it would worry you, spend more for the Inon. My son and I use dual strobes and I carry a couple backup cables, so for that many it seemed enough of a savings that I went with the cheaper cables. Overall, though it is a small cost compared to housing, ports, strobe, etc.

If using a fiber optic cable with the cap that is required to connect the cable to the strobe, the strobes won't be affected by other light sources. It is only if you use your S2000 in a wireless mode that it can be affected by other light sources.

I have not used the 10bar housing, but I am sure it has provision for fiber optics. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I think that s2000 stobe comes without the fiberoptic cable. As far as I understood it is the best to commect it via the cable instead of the light sensor wich could be triggered by other strobes. The original inon cable is rather expensive. Should I buy it or there are cheaper alternatives of the same quality?
I plan to use 10 bar GF1 housing.
Thank you!

There is a guy on eBay who supplies a very inexpensive fiber cable in some of his strobe kits. He uses TOS Link cable, which is used in audio systems and hence very high volume low cost (like $3). He says the square end connects OK with Sea&Sea strobes. I bought a 1.5 meter TOS link cable and cut it in half for two cables. I stuck it on with velcro as a quick connect on the camera strobe side and it seems to trigger OK. Maybe not as pretty as the $100 fiber cable, but my wallet thinks it's beautiful. I just share this for those who want to save a bit on cables. Check it out.

TOS Link fiber optic cable

gqx-01.jpg

It will not work with the S2000 unfortunately. You need electrical interface on your strobe, which can be found on the Inon Z240.

10Bar housing does NOT have a TTL converter, just the optional port to connect the electrical link between the HW ttl converter and the strobe (through the housing).

Hope that helps...

I'm still waiting for more details on the INON housing. Supposed to be available at the end of this month. I would like the option for electical TTL, so I'm hoping the INON housing also has a port for the connection.

Heinrichs Weikamp has the Lumix TTL converter that changes the Panasonic signals to Nikonos strobe signals, used by many strobe makers like Inon and Sea & Sea (and ikelite in manual mode only with special cable Nikonos to Ikelite). I don't know if Reef carries these, they do carry Olympus converters and may special order?

In any case, I've ordered direct from Germany with perfect success several times. Fast shipping, Paypal payment. Ideally he would supply the bulkhead and converter, but I only see the converter. You'd need a tech to wire it.

HW

Note that you need a compatible strobe, and he lists the ones he has tested that work. Click on your camera, and it lists the strobes that work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom