Panasonic GF1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up the GF1 over the weekend whilst passing through London. So far I'm very happy with it, but to have to be honest it's bigger than I was expecting and quite heavy. There is no way I could carry it in any of my pockets even a coat pocket. I keep telling myself it's a small DSLR and that makes me feel better about it.

I'll use the GF1 for special occasions and underwater photography. My IXUS100 will remain my take-everywhere camera for now.

So the million dollar question is: when will INON be releasing their X2 housing??? and how much will it cost?? Until then my new little camera is going into hibernation.

Yeah, I said it before, these are not pocket cameras, they are neck strap cameras much like the old rangefinders in size and market position. Which is exactly why I like them, big enough to hold and manipulate and have a large sensor, small enough to sling over my head or shoulder and toss behind me, ready to grab and shoot on the go.

A S90 will fit in your pocket :wink:.

N

the 20mm 1.7 pancake will make the gf1 a pocket camera, a bit larger then a pure p&s. But it will fit in most pockets

the 20mm 1.7 pancake will make the gf1 a pocket camera, a bit larger then a pure p&s. But it will fit in most pockets

I have the 20mm lens - your pockets are obviously a lot bigger than mine :)

A S90 will fit in your pocket .

Yeah... I compared them side-by-side at the camera shop and the S90 is certainly more "pocketable"

It seems the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens is only being released in "Autumn 2010" which is still approx 6months away... I was seriously hoping to have the Inon housing and 8mm Fisheye in time for my Red Sea trip in August. If somebody has heard something different about the release dates then I'd be very happy to hear about it!

I looked at the 7-14mm rectilinear wide-angle lens, but it doesn't look ideal for underwater wide-angle work (the distorted corners look weird to me). It also has a closest focus distance of 25cm which is not very good for CFWA.

What lenses are other people using with this camera underwater? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Apparently the INON GF1 housing will be available at the end of April (price still TBD).

Hi guys, i'm new here at SB.

It seems there's a lot interest for the GF1.

I have opportunity to use one while shooting underwater at Similan, Thailand last two weeks and from my point of view, it works well wide angle and micro.

FYI i'm using 7-14mm (equiv. to 14-28mm for 35mm) and Leica Macro 45mm (equiv. to 90mm fr 35mm).

Housing I'm using customized housing from Japan, Nautilus, with dome and macro port made by Inon.

Fro strobe the housing accept only optical cable connection and pair of Inon S2000 works well with the S-TTL function.

Shooting were easy after you get to know the buttons on the housing and the fun part is, the one touch AVCHD recording thats make the diving more memorable.

As for now, 10bar and Nautilus housing for GF1 is already in the market and Inon X2 will be on the shelf soon.

Here are some samples that are captured during the trip.

CnC are most welcome

bobo

4411040682_f96249ebde_o.jpg

Groupers striking at glassfish

4410273077_2e38298086_o.jpg

Clown anemone fiosh with divers

4410391393_060c66ff2a_o.jpg

Blenny in a hole

4410273061_c40994f741_o.jpg

shy boxfish

4410272985_c9954a536c_o.jpg

divers silhouette

Thanks a lot for the info and photos mybobo!

What is your opinion on the 7-14mm lens? Since the 8mm is not going to be ready in time for my trip do you think the 7-14mm is a worthwhile investment? It's quite expensive at $1099 USD!

Thanks!

Just sold my Canon A720 P&S.
Probably will get Oly E-PL1 or Pana GF1
For GF1 I am considering buying 10BAR UW housing with 20mm
port. Does anybody know ifl it will work together with Inon Inon UWL-100
Wide Angle Conversion Lens? Will this setup be any good? Thead looks the same M67.
Probably I would like to buy Inon S2000 strobe also. Will it work
correctly?

Thanks a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom