Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater service is as good as it gets.

Or, put in another way, Shearwater's service is what others should be striving to achieve. :D

How many manufacturers return Emails after a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon?

I've had the same experience. Lynn is beyond attentive!

how does the UEMIS stack up against the Mares Icon HD? I am pretty tempted getting the Mares as the interface looks nice and simple and the dive profile and logbook visulisation looks to be better than on the UEMIS?

H.

how does the UEMIS stack up against the Mares Icon HD? I am pretty tempted getting the Mares as the interface looks nice and simple and the dive profile and logbook visulisation looks to be better than on the UEMIS?

H.

I think you have to ask yourself "what am I buying a computer for?" If it is so you can look over old dives and analyse your profiles then, whilst the Uemis will do that once you have synced with MyUemis on-line, you may find that Suunto and possibly Mares (although I do not have any experience of Mares computers) have better post-dive analysis functionality.

If however you want a computer to be incredible during a dive giving you exactly the information you need in a format that, in my opinion, is THE state of the art and not matched by any other computer, certainly that I have seen and with a display which gives the ultimate in readability/brightness/clarity etc... and looks simply stunning too.. then buy the Uemis.

Bear in mind also that the Uemis platform is 'organic' unlike most other systems out there in that it is growing all the time. Apparently Uemis will be adding Planning soon as well as trimix capability and also (I am lead to believe) CCR functionality at some point in the future, all available as free updates to the firmware!

$2,000 seems an aweful lot of money to spend to get something to show your past dive profiles in glorious detail! I bought my Uemis for what it could do for me underwater, not afterwards sat in my office!

Vipa,

you might be right in terms of future upgrades etc. Having a map of the dive site however would be nice to have as well. I can see that you are in the UK as well. Where did you buy your unit from if I may ask? I certainly can see the OLED display to be better under water than the TFT display of the Mares. the Mares Icon HD is much cheaper, 569 GBP instead of 819 GBP for the UEMIS when comparing the units without the transmitter.

Also the algorithm seems to be slightly more up to date on the Mares. :)

Decisions decisions ..

Holg

I would disagree with regards to the algorithm... RGBM is uber conservative, the same used by Suunto and in the past my Suunto was screaming at me when my buddies computers were not. The highly modified Bühlmann algorithm used by Uemis is bang up to date and unique. it also allows for additional conservatism should you want it.

I would strongly suggest paying the extra £90 and getting the transmitter. It doesn't really matter whether or not you want your gas info on your wrist, The Uemis calculates the the effects of skin cooling, workload, micro bubble formation and tissue saturation based on SAC rate and gas mix and then constantly modifies the algorithm to match, right through the dive!!!!

I was originally erring towards a VR3 until I saw the Uemis dispay, that and the fact that the VR3 isn't AI. The tv screen set up just like the Mares isn't that easy to read at a glance during a dive.

Bought mine from Scuba Diving Superstore (formerly SDS Watersports) - Number 1, Scuba diving retailer in the UK, based in South Yorkshire. £899 with transmitter.

The Uemis to me is everything a dive computer should be and with future planned upgrades everything I will need it to be for the forseeable future. The only thing it is lacking is a digital compass but then I always carry a Suunto SK-7 and don't really want important dive info disappearing so I can use it, I'd rather have compass and computer doing their seperate jobs.

The only thing I will say is, if possible, try to see the Uemis working side by side with a Mares, I guarantee, one look at that screen and the info and how it is presented and you will walk out with an AI Uemis!!!

Good luck
PS If you are anywhere near the North East UK, you are quite welcome to come and have a play with mine!! ooeer missus!! :wink:

PS apart from the initial power up (knowing the slide combination to use) the interface on the Uemis is childs play, I managed to set the whole thing up without refering to the manual once. Very intuitive, no messy menus to navigate and the menus and button sequences are very logical and where you would expect/anticipate they should be, absolutely no nasty surprises or dead ends to get stuck in!

Last edited:
Holg

RGBM is uber conservative, the same used by Suunto and in the past my Suunto was screaming at me when my buddies computers were not.

It's my understanding that Suunto uses a modified form of RGBM (Suunto RGBM).

True RGBM is not "uber conservative" Suunto RGBM may well be.

It's my understanding that Suunto uses a modified form of RGBM (Suunto RGBM).

True RGBM is not "uber conservative" Suunto RGBM may well be.

According to Wienke, (REDUCED GRADIENT BUBBLE MODEL: DIVING ALGORITHM, BASIS, AND COMPARISONS), Suunto & Mares use a Haldanian algorithm that's been modified to behave as if it is fully iterative RGBM. I would have expected, "true RGBM" to penalise you for reverse profiles, fast ascents, see saw profiles, multiple dives per day, multi day diving, & everything else that a Suunto or Mares would.

It would be interesting to see how a Suunto & an X1 with GAP's new iterative RGBM sitting on someones wrist would differ, during a series of multiple dives, over a period of days, where they broke the rules from time to time.

Sorry, I did an edit while you weren't looking.

That could well be so. Either way its something Suunto made up/invented.

Personally I prefer to know what I'm diving.

Would you be happy to dive the fully iterative version for no stop diving. I don't think my friend with the Suunto & the X1 would notice much difference until he started to accrue some real deco.

@ Vipa...

Did you just offer me to play with your UEMIS and missus??? naughty naughty. :)

i live down in London and for sure a distance away from your end. I will see if I can check out a Mares somewhere as the Distributor list for the SDA is still on the thinner front. Never the less I think that I could do without a compass as I have on on my Atmos AI console. I just was looking to get something on my wrist that gives me a bit more information whereas I always have to look down to see my console computer which I find to be a hassle. Good for backup for sure. @ 899 GBP it looks to be alright as with the Mares Icon HD, you need to calculate at least another 200 quid when they release / exchange current shipment of HDs.

Say hi to your SDA and missus... haha...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom