Suunto "Zoop" Advice Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan Antopol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Folks,

In Aruba, one of the other divers on the boat was using a new Suunto "Zoop". She liked it - total of 4 dives. Given that I am a recreational diver with about 50 dive, who dives once or twice a year, do you folks have any advice about or experience with the "Zoop"? Can get a new one for < $300 all in. FWIW, have not yet tried nitrox, but think I might.

Thanks and Happy Diving! Alan

Alan, I just bought the "Orange" Zoop, which I understand is the same thing only marketed through Aqualung. I can say that the menu system seems less intuitive than others I've used, but I have yet to take it under the water. I like the large and high-contrast display. Just to be clear, I have the console "corded" model with separate PSI gauge.

My LDS is very price competitive (one of the many reasons I buy what I can from there as opposed to on-line) and I paid $377. I think if you find one for under 300, and it's not used or stolen, take it before the seller changes their mind.

Regards, DV

Last edited:
Scared Silly...

did not know they were European......thx.....

Alan Antopol.....

I would just keep searching for a Gekko on close out.......

M

Folks,

Thanks for the advice.

Jorgy, why not get a "Zoop" rather than a Gekko? Think the download capability is useful.

Alan

I had a Gekko but it tended not to retain dive data - a problem that was apparently well known among retailers. Unfortunately that's a MAJOR problem so I traded it back in for the new Zoop which supposedly has all the "bugs" worked out (read: it retains dive data when you're out of the water).

Jorgy, why not get a "Zoop" rather than a Gekko? Think the download capability is useful.

I am guessing price point. But the Gekko can be "hacked" and let you download your data. That said downloading your data is nice. I am not a big log book person but I do download dives for latter reference.

Two people from our dive club have the Gekko and download it using Cobra software, just convince the software it really is a Cobra and it works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom