Centeral Texas Diving History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Travis Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tim, from We-B-Divin', provided very interesting links to some of Austin's scuba diving history and about Don Brod. Don Brod developed the Scuba Park we call Wreck Alley, The Barstows own and operate Windy Point Park where many of us have been certified and dive on a regular basis. I hope you enjoy the articles as much as I did.

Interview about history of University of Texas Skin and Scuba Diving Society:
Jim McAfee - First President, University of Texas Skin and Scuba Diving Society

Here’s an old Skin Diver magazine article. They mention the viz being 20 feet at Travis.
Skin Diver magazine article - Texas Virgins

Don Brod's obit:
Don Brod - Obituary

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
www.LakeTravisScuba.com
Facebook: Lake Travis Scuba

Thanks for posting that info. It's hard to believe it, but someday our exploits will be recalled as the "good old days"! I especially liked the photos in the Skin Diver magazine article - the retro swimsuits on the girls were cool. Everyone looked like they were having a lot of fun.

The road that they speak of is where the softball field is between Clear Springs Apts and the golf course. in 1971, by night we would drive up to the fence at the back of the ball field and go through a hole in the fence, walk down a trail to the creek that fed into the lake. During the day, we would enter through the apartments side lot, over the fence, and swim upstream into the lake. Either way it was a lot of work but well worth it. Today, I think they realy would arrest you.

Back in 1971 eh? And to think that while I am starting to age, going bald and what is left of my hair is turning white I was only born in '78 :wink:

Back in 1971 eh? And to think that while I am starting to age, going bald and what is left of my hair is turning white I was only born in '78 :wink:

You're just a young pup still. You have to be, cause I'm older than you and I can't be old yet! LOL

Quote from skin diver article :
"Canyon is, a small lake, with only 80 miles of shoreline, but it is
193 feet deep, and is already clear enough for good diving
during most of the year."

Wow it silted up fast!

Paul Johnston, shown in the Skin Diver article taught me U/W Photography at J. Rich Sports a few decades ago!

My Dad said he was diving Canyon lake 1967-1969. He and his buddy were diving an concrete boat ramp and another rocky are which are now under water. They had what sounds like aluminum 80's and a 40 as backup, no SPG. They turned the dive when the big bottle ran out! He started with a dual hose navy surplus reg which he upgrade to a US Diver single hose model after they helped an insurance company salvage a speedboat. Crazy

I can remember much better vis than 20 feet in Travis in 1975 when I certed there. Very interesting post--thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom