Do you really need a log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outside of the US, nobody signs a waiver, so a big fat logbook makes the guys at the diver centers feel a little bit less insecure.

It's also valuable for keeping track of the weights required for 5mm/7mm/dry-shell/dry-neoprene/AL/steel/fresh/salt-ocean/salt-sea (the Red Sea is deadly weight-wise because of the very high salt content).

Btw, it's a BAD thing to condemn the Maldives because of the despicable act of ONE single mindless person who's not even Maldivian. I think it's one of the greatest place on earth for diving.

Maybe on that side of the pond, but over here, even outside of the US everyone hands you a waiver and no one checks logs.

True, but it did kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. Also, heard that just in general the Maldives doesn't exactly have the greatest safety track record these days? Still not planning a trip anytime soon, just because it's not in my plans. Any idea if you can dive from your own boat over there?

You can dive from your own boat alright... after you're done sailing 8,738 miles to get there :D

I don't bother logging dives now, other than on my Sensus Ultra, but an cave instructor I just finished a course with recommended logging cave dives after I get to Full Cave. A hundred logged dives after Full Cave gets you the Abe Davis Award, which is needed to access some of the deeper Florida caves.

You can dive from your own boat alright... after you're done sailing 8,738 miles to get there :D
Like I said, not in plans anytime soon. Just like traveling by air isn't in my plans anytime soon if ever again.

I use mine to keep track of different gear configurations and weighting at different diving locations. Also, I dive with my son so we both make historical comments about certain dives for future conversation and trip planning.

No one has asked for my dive log so far just C-cards and sign the waivers where the date of last dive is usually asked.

Now keep in mind that I don't write any of my training dives down in my log book as a matter of course. However, if there is something that was very special in a non-academic way, then I will enter it.

I enjoy sitting back from time to time, drinking a cold beer, and reading my logs and, once again, seeing that dive as it happens.

Memories can have a tendency to fade after a spell . . . there are just too many wonderful things in life I want to remember, but I know I can't keep them all in my brain.

the K

I enjoy sitting back from time to time, drinking a cold beer, and reading my logs and, once again, seeing that dive as it happens.

Memories can have a tendency to fade after a spell . . . there are just too many wonderful things in life I want to remember, but I know I can't keep them all in my brain.

the K

I totally agree! I almost stopped logging my dives at once point until I met another instructor with over 3,000 dives ALL logged...and not just logged...beautifully written about. It's actually more of a diary and it is unbelievable!

Mine isn't quite like that, but many fellow divers have commented that my logbook reads like a diary. I write down who and what annoyed me, what made me laugh etc.

Outside of the US, nobody signs a waiver, so a big fat logbook makes the guys at the diver centers feel a little bit less insecure.<snip>

Can't say I agree with this based on my experiences in the Philippines. IIRC, almost every shop I dived with while there made me sign a waiver and no one ever asked to see my log book.

As a pilot I keep a logbook, so keeping one for diving is not too difficult. I keep them not only for tracking the number of dives, but all the other information, how deep have I dove, what were the temps, what was I wearing, etc. I also keep notes that talk about the dive and I get a kick looking back and reading what I did, and I have less than 20 dives! :)

Back
Top Bottom