Do you really need a log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
And if so, what for?

I understand the need for it, when you're first staring out. Helps you learn the tables, signed off by instructor every step of the way, signed off for every specialty (if you're a card collector).

But at a certain point, after a few years, few hundred dives or so, doesn't it really become unnecessary, unless you're just documenting/journaling for yourself.

I've never had a captain, shop, diver operator, etc. ask to see it. Usually they just talk with you to get an idea of experience, if that. And the waivers we all sign ask for # of dives, date of last dive, and location of last dive.

Sure, it will be needed if you decide to become an instructor or get into tech diving, documenting research, etc.

But for you average non-tech recreational diver, what's the point? Maybe to document problems you've had on certain dives? But even that, although I may not remember the dates, or the exact depths, times, etc. I don't need a log to remember the details.

Probably a personal thing. I have only been asked once to see it, that was at my IDC. I do log every dive, mainly more of a journal. But I always record things like type of suit used and at what temperatures, what types of undergarments used at what temperatures, and weight used with various combinations. I find all this info usefull.

Since I'm not going for any more certs, and since I work in a dive shop, my logbook has just become a memory jogger for the day when I can no longer dive and I want to read about what I did. However, I just might go for a dry suit cert since I already have two d/s dives under my belt already.

I have fewer dives than you do.

I have never had anyone ask to see my logbook. However, I maintain one since I dive in many different places, using either a wetsuit or a drysuit. My logbook helps me to remember what my weights were for a given setup, where they were positioned to help me with trim, what kind of thermal insulation I used at a given water temperature, and whether it was sufficient or not. My logbook is an excel spreadsheet with many "clickable" fields to speed the entry of information.

I have fewer dives than you do.

I have never had anyone ask to see my logbook. However, I maintain one since I dive in many different places, using either a wetsuit or a drysuit. My logbook helps me to remember what my weights were for a given setup, where they were positioned to help me with trim, what kind of thermal insulation I used at a given water temperature, and whether it was sufficient or not. My logbook is an excel spreadsheet with many "clickable" fields to speed the entry of information.

I agree. You may not care to remember what you saw and felt (more of a diary/journal), but concrete things like gear configuration, weights, thermal protection, conditions, etc. can be very valuable in the future as a reference, especially if you dive in a variety of places.

As mentioned, I have all the certs I want. I haven't logged a dive since NAUI DMT in 1990. I have plenty of c-cards to show an operator or dive boat captain. I have never been asked for a log after basic O/W.

When I hump two sets of doubles, stage bottles, drysuit, etc., not too many captains are going to ask me for a log book....

Safe diving to you.

I log them out of habit. Mainly to get SAC rates. After a point you learn gear configs. I know what I need to wear weight wise and thermal protection wise for certain dives with certain setups.
I haven't gotten asked for logs, and like Wreck Diver mentioned, when you show up with a set of doubles, drysuit, etc. The odds of you getting asked for your log book are negligible. If they did, they can look through my computer because I don't carry a paper log

A good log is a personal reference book.
What was a site kike

What was the water temp the 1st weekend in April, What did I wear in my drysuit, was it enough, how much weight did I use, was it the right amount, where did I place it? Where did we go for chow after/ was it good? What was my air consumption and so forth for future planning purposes.

If you make the same dive all the time in the same conditions I can see where it may become redundant. in my world it's a tool. Not to mention it's the most tangible and personal souvenir I'll have when the game winds down.

Try to capture the essence of the day, not just the technical facts.

Pete

I kept a log on really spectacular dives like Eagle's Nest or something I thought I might want to remember forever. But for years, the only logs I filled out religiously were in my Commercial Log Book. Now, we fast forward 10 years and I'm trying to become a cave instructor and trying to replace my Abe Davis award sticker and I'm piecing together info from my old dive buddies' log books and several of my log books scattered around. Trying to find data cables for old computers I had, wishing I had kept better records. Wishing I could remember the directions to a certain cave in the middle of the woods that almost no one knows about, or remember who I did that fantastic dive with, and how deep was it? Should I bring O2 to deco on? Was it 190' or 100'? Can I do it on 32%?

Probably, at 200+ dives, no one is going to ask to see your log book. We (most people in the industry) can tell if your an idiot or a noob, or both in the first 3 sentences you speak or the first 3 steps you take with your gear.

But, there might come a day, when you wished you had written those dives down, whether it's for nostalgia, a tech cert or award, or you've made the plunge and decide to become an instructor. Plus it just looks cool having 4000+ hours underwater.

I agree. You may not care to remember what you saw and felt (more of a diary/journal), but concrete things like gear configuration, weights, thermal protection, conditions, etc. can be very valuable in the future as a reference, especially if you dive in a variety of places.
True, except, mine doesn't really change much. Drysuit and a 3mm. SS plate, and an AL plate.

Don't use any weight at all, except when diving dry in saltwater. And use pretty much the same undergarments on every dive. If it's too cold...I'm just staying inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom