Do you really need a log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

like Wreck Diver mentioned, when you show up with a set of doubles, drysuit, etc. The odds of you getting asked for your log book are negligible. If they did, they can look through my computer because I don't carry a paper log
Exactly, or in most resort locations a BP and canister light is enough. If not the giant SLR housing is.

Same here, used to have a paper log. Eventually got destroyed from rain, wet gear, etc. Then computer log, and a software update killed it. Then I started just using Suunto's software and a computer crash killed it. And then lately I noticed, I'm not even bothering at all.

Part of the reason I'm asking this is, it just seems like such a chore. Just trying to make things simpler, easier, less time spent in front of a computer, or scribbling in a notebook. Even the camera, I tend to take a lot less pictures than I used to. I'd rather take fewer that came out good right out of the camera, then spend half a trip in Photoshop.

May do like someone mentioned earlier and just log days of diving, it it was a day worth mentioning, probably using a blog.

Good points spectrum!

That just further back up that what we really need are blogs...not logs.

I think I can do the same with my iPhone and the camera, though.

It's not much of a hassle to download my computer, so I do. I also have one cert that expires, so keeping track of the dives I've done to send in proof of experience is useful for renewing.

I have actually found that it's great fun to thumb back through the paper log, when I kept it, to see what I did and what I said about it. I don't flip back through the computer pages the same way.

I use a pretty basic excel sheet. It calculates my SIT, SAC, and total dive time for me. It has a spot for notes if it was something memorable, but the camera usually has that.

do you need to log...yes and no. Do you need to show your dive history..yes and no.

I log the memorable dives and the new sites I have never done...to only reference them. I do go back to see what weight I had for that particular time of years and what not...it is a great tool.

Having said that...A dive log is a history of your - dives...:)..However anyone can forge a log book. Especially if they need a certain amount to show for a particular course or for some Dive OP that requires proof of dive experience.

Now having said that. Any seasoned diver can point out the less experienced diver and know that they are full of it. Many a divers I have come across working as a DM have bragged about how many dives they had...but seeing and hearing them talk and setting up the gear...then hitting the water you can tell right off - the talk was just talk.

SO my point is be honest with yourselves and your actual dive log...A seasoned diver will know your full of hot air if you fake the log book.....:wink:

Use your log book as a reference tool and not a trophy.

Unless you're on a mission that requires you to show proof of dives, it comes down to personal preference. There is a chance that you'll need them 10 or 20 or 30 years from now and you may want to be prepared, or not.
Seems to me people that keep valuable data that happens to also be interesting wouldn't even dream of not keeping track of their dives (most of the times religiously).
Then there are the people that question the usefulness of the task, almost like "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand".

I've kept raw data logs for a while, then stopped. Then started keeping descriptive logs for another long while, then stopped again.

My next plan is to start again with a combination of raw data and descriptive logs in a couple of years when I retire, just because the goal is to became a total dive bum with no less than 365 dives a year. I figure there may be days that I won't dive for whatever reason but on good days there will be several dives, the only way to know for sure if I'm an effective bum will be to keep a log for a couple of years, after I achieve that then I'll probably stop again.

You take pictures, use that as your log.

Ive logged every dive from the start. Not a conventional log book but a fat small spiral notebook. Someday when Im too old to dive I can re-live these experiences. Its not for proof of anything really, just a personal thing I enjoy writting in. Helpful for seeing how much gas it took to get from one sink to another as well as how long, any problems or unusual events etc.

I have found another reason, and now am kicking myself.

My log keeping has been very spasmodic. When I first did my OW course, I had already done hundreds on dives on hookak. I did not keep good records.
During my Courses I logged. My trips I logged. But my working often did not get logged.

Now, I am doing a coxswain course, so I may drive boats commercially under 12M.
I have to prove my sea time. Time spent on a boat and duties ie decky, dory driver.
My log books are one form of proof accepted for recognition.
Mine are not complete.
I have learnt my lesson. I now log every dive and I might add have the captain sign my record of sea service.

A log book is great for keeping track of your weight and trim.

Let's see....

Dry suit with medium-weight long-johns, an alumium back plate, steel 100 instead of aluminum 80, camera, no can light.... How much weight did I use last time I dove in this configuation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom