Wrist computer for Tech diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm about to start getting into cave and tech (deco) diving and need a new computer. What's a fairly basic, moderately priced wrist mount computer suitable for this?

The sooner you stop using the phrase "moderately priced" in the same sentence as "cave and tech diving" the better off you'll be.

:eyebrow:

Love my Liquivision . . .

But I think the advice you have been given is right. A lot of technical diving is taught and executed using a bottom timer and tables. If the computer you already have has a "gauge" mode, it can be used for that. If your instructor and your dive buddies are willing to accept running a wrist computer for deco, you can look into a tech-compatible computer at a future time. The ones that will manage helium mixes tend to run in the $1000 and up range.

And the point about your dive buddies is a good one. There is nothing quite like the contempt dripping off your buddy's mask as he watches you whapping your computer in a futile attempt to get the thing to gas switch . . . :)

I'd add the Liquivision X1 to that list...

Liquivision X1 at www.DiveSeekers.com

liquivisionX1.jpg

Newb here, but tech diving friend has this. Just cool geekin'. Tap the top, screens change in one way. Tap the sides, screens change differently. Thought this was the coolest geek thing imaginable. Right up there with having a blaster.:dork2:

Just my two cents. Not recommending, just saying it's cool.:cool2:

Before you go spending a lot of money on the Liquivision X1, or even their new Xeo when it comes out, consider doing a search on google for "liquivision problems" or "X1 problems"

That's all I'll say about Liquivision. Make your own opinion regarding them.

I own a Shearwater Predator and used a Shearwater Pursuit for a season prior to that. I also own a Cochran EMC-16 and an EMC-20H. Without doubt, the Predator is the *best* technical computer, hands down. Nothing else can claim to have as little problems and be as robust, while also being super user-configurable. Right now it uses a true iteration of Buhlmann while letting you modify it with gradient factors. With this, you can have a nice deco profile in-line with current thinking like VPM would give. Other computers that claim to use Buhlmann with GF's(cough cough, Nitex X cough) will give much longer(unneccesary) deco. In addition, Shearwater Research is spending around $20,000 right now on putting actual VPM in their products. Of course, the OLED screen is very easy to read. The biggest complaint I have with the Predator is it's size and weight. It's big, and it's hefty. It makes a noticeable difference to me, but others it doesn't. for me, when I go visit the keys(or anywhere) I'm not bringing the Shearwater if I'm going for primarily recreational dives. To me personally, I really do notice the weight and size and it's a bit too much unless I'm involved in deco or caves. Which brings me to my other computers......

The Cochran EMC-16 and EMC-20H. I've only got about 20 dives or so on an EMC-20H, and I like them in the water. I don't find them anywhere near as confusing to program like some people claim, and they're weightless compared to the Shearwater and MUCH smaller. I find them to be much more comfortable to wear. However(comma.......pause for effect), I wouldn't buy one as my primary computer. I wear them as a backup, where the automatic gas switching is a plus instead of a minus(I wouldn't want my primary computer to not be able to account for lost gas. Search my name and you'll see me talking down the Cochran line of computers). So, they make a great backup computer(as long as you're not using more than 3 gasses :( )and also a nice computer to take on a trip where you're doing rec, but might also be able to squeeze in one of two deco dives where it's capable of performing as well. Also, I would NEVER pay full price for a Cochran. Get one used or get one at a really good deal somehow, but they're simply way overpriced at their suggested retail price. WAY overpriced. I like them otherwise. In addition I have the Analyst software(got it used, so I just paid $120 to relicense it instead of paying $475!). So if you want to see examples of what their profiles are like with certain dives/gasses, please PM me and I can email you. A lot of people complain about Cochran customer service, and I or anyone else can't discount that. Still, the people I know personally who've owned/still own them have never had problems. Two of those people I know make about 300+ dives a year(each) so I know they're being used well, to boot. I've been on the phone with Cochran and through email, and they've gotten back to me quick and were always very curteous. Before using the Cochran as a backup, I used an Oceanic Veo250 in guage mode but i snagged some really good deals on the Cochrans, so I splurged. BTW, +1 for Shearwater. Their CS is simply amazing. have no fear buying a shearwater. When I call or email Shearwater, I get the feeling that I'm talking to an owners club I've paid into for some sort of service, rather and talking to a company(like cochran). Something to take into consideration. You'll be well taken care of with Shearwater Research.

I wouldn't completely discount the Suunto Helo2. It comes with it's own software so you can plan the dives accordingly, and on -2 conservatism it won't give terribly long deco(do a search, people have done comparisons). But realize what you're buying.......

There's some other helium computers to look at. VR3, VRX, NHeO, Nitek X, Nitek HE.......I could give you my opinion on them from seeing friends with them, but someone who's actually owned them could probably comment with better authority. Out of those I would only really look at at NHeO, personally.

Cochran does not do manual gas switching because the navy will not allow it as something like only 37% can push buttons correctly when under duress. If you have a lost gas scenario, come down a foot, figure it out, and off you go... you plan for this.

Then there is the CC>OC bailout issue... so it depends on what you plan on doing. You cannot go wrong with the 20H or predator. I love the size and logging of the Cochran, I get great support from them, and its what all my friends dive, unless they are CC... then they have both :) with the Cochran set to po2 with 0% and to get them out quick.

I would not even consider the cost a factor, as by the time your looking of the screen of said computer in deco mode you've breathed about $500 in gas anyways.

X1, some people love it, I just have not met one in person yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom