Wrist computer for Tech diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug,

I hope everything does work out well for you guys. I'd love to buy two Xeo's, but don't have the confidence yet with the amount of issues the X1 has had. Probably a year after the Xeo is introduced I'll revisit the option and hopefully buy two. The size of the Predator really does annoy me. I think giving the Xeo user replaceable batteries is a huge step in the right direction. There's really no benefit in a permanent, non-replaceable battery to the user, not to mention if the battery fails(because they do, just as you know!) then the computer is toast and has to be replaced. Bam! User replaceable batteries probably just saved a significant amount of the computers from being returned for replacement.

what can I say....I'm a front runner. I'd sell off my Predator in a heartbeat if I could get a computer just as capable, reliable but smaller from a company with great CS.

Doug,

I hope everything does work out well for you guys. I'd love to buy two Xeo's, but don't have the confidence yet with the amount of issues the X1 has had. Probably a year after the Xeo is introduced I'll revisit the option and hopefully buy two. The size of the Predator really does annoy me. I think giving the Xeo user replaceable batteries is a huge step in the right direction. There's really no benefit in a permanent, non-replaceable battery to the user, not to mention if the battery fails(because they do, just as you know!) then the computer is toast and has to be replaced. Bam! User replaceable batteries probably just saved a significant amount of the computers from being returned for replacement.

what can I say....I'm a front runner. I'd sell off my Predator in a heartbeat if I could get a computer just as capable, reliable but smaller from a company with great CS.

I can appreciate your hesitation. I only ask that you keep an open mind and allow our new products to prove their reliability without too much stigma from the past. We don't shy away from our reliability issues in the past, but we're beyond that and are forward-looking... and I'm very excited for what's coming.

-Doug
Liquivision Marketing & Sales Manager

hey, tyler! of course larry's the person who can really answer this, but as i understand how the cochran thinks, if you do a long dive after a deep morning dive, for instance, then when you're crossing a sink the o2 can switch on and as you go back down, trouble. yes, if you know all the profiles of caves, you can turn the timer on, but if you forget, it thinks you're a swimming dead person. personally, i don't like that it thinks it can think for me but won't take direction. if there was a nudge like 'wanna switch to o2? check one yes or no' i'd be fine. then again, it ain't about me this one time - write that down, 'cause it usually is :wink: - because i don't have one & neither does he anymore.

i don't know when we'll be down again.:depressed: how about you?

If you plan to venture into trimix, the OSTC MK2 is a good choice.

Jürgen
not sold in USA.

it's an "experimental" computer, and too many lawyers are in USA :D

do you know what's a catastrophe in USA ?

a bus of lawyers falling in a ravine.
it's a catastrophe, because the bus was not full.

Ok I just realized how vague my original post was. Thanks everyone for the input so far, but here is what I was really looking for...is a computer that is easy to read, gauge mode (for acting just as a bottom timer), and multiple gases (really dont need more than 2-3). I don't need a trimix computer. I currently have a sunto cobra2 console which is an air integrated computer, so I am basically looking to replace that with an regular SPG & wrist computer.

My current computer seems to be much more conservative than the tables, having shown me needing deco stops at 10 ft for a few minutes in addition to the safety stop, on dives that I really didn't even come close to surpassing the NDL's (according to tables). I don't really have in depth knowledge of the various algorithms but I basically want a computer that would calculate reasonable & efficient deco stops (as a backup to tables), as opposed for doing all the deco at 10 feet.

What are your requirements? How many gasses? budget? algorythm?

There are a few recreational dive computers that will run 2 gasses... but full blown tech computers don't tend to be 'basic' or 'inexpensive' :wink:

Ok I just realized how vague my original post was. Thanks everyone for the input so far, but here is what I was really looking for...is a computer that is easy to read, gauge mode (for acting just as a bottom timer), and multiple gases (really dont need more than 2-3). I don't need a trimix computer. I currently have a sunto cobra2 console which is an air integrated computer, so I am basically looking to replace that with an regular SPG & wrist computer.

My current computer seems to be much more conservative than the tables, having shown me needing deco stops at 10 ft for a few minutes in addition to the safety stop, on dives that I really didn't even come close to surpassing the NDL's (according to tables). I don't really have in depth knowledge of the various algorithms but I basically want a computer that would calculate reasonable & efficient deco stops (as a backup to tables), as opposed for doing all the deco at 10 feet.
Suunto Vytec DS can be your choice
3 gaz (O2/N2) can be switched
deco is "adaptative", with a minimum ceiling to not go beyond, instead of a fixed depth.
conservative (read "secure"), as the deco is longer than my OSTC MKII ( a few minutes more for a dive at 120 feet)

UWatec TEc 2G (on whatever it's called these days/where you are) pretty similar to the Vytec (price, features, etc.) but a slightly better gauge mode.

Ill put a plug in for the Cochran EMC-16. I have a couple that I have had no problems with and have dived Cochrans for years.

The primary complaint on the forum focuses on the automatic programmed gas switching. It seems that I have seen more folks fail to manually make their switches than I have seen this be a problem. Plan your dive/write down your plan. Plan for contingencies and write them down as well. You miss a switch, refer to your plan. Dive with a guage as back up. No problem.

UWatec TEc 2G (on whatever it's called these days/where you are) pretty similar to the Vytec (price, features, etc.) but a slightly better gauge mode.

That's exactly what I ended up getting. Thanks guys.

Thats what I bought my Uemis for, except it will trimix shortly...............

Back
Top Bottom