Heading to Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamaica is not known for large pelagics, but it sits in a wide open sea - surprises do happen. In the meantime, as another poster said, go slow - there is still a lot of very interesting small stuff - and look under ledges and overhangs.

Arkman, you did not state when, so I'm unable to advise on protective clothing. Currently the water temp is 78f. Can be quite uncomfortable on long or multiple dives, or on rainy, overcast or windy days.

Thanks for the info. We are going April 9th to the 16th.

I'm really glad to hear they run a conservative and safe operation. First time in the ocean it will be nice to take it easy.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Betty,
">

The gentleman next to the old fart is Craig, DM and Instructor at Couples Negril. I believe he is still there. If you run into him. Say hi from from Minnesota Joe. To jog his memory- tell him I was with him when he found a old Mares computer on the reef that still worked.

And Beware of the Bob Marleys!!

Arkman:
When I send guests to these resorts I get approval from the particular resort that they will honor a refresher done by the local dive center prior to arrival. You could contact Duane at Mick's Scuba Welcome in Moorhead and do a pool refresher before leaving home. It might get you another day of diving as you would not need to do the refresher when you get to the resort, so you would be one day ahead in the process.

You can tell him I sent you (so he knows I am referrring people to him) and consider checking with him next time you take one of these trips about making the booking for you?

when we were there they were in the process of re-doing the dive shack, so there was no place to put your gear but if you talk to them they will let you put your stuff in the shop where they keep the rental gear, I wore a thin wetsuit just because I hate reef rash (having been pushed into it when the ones who can't control their boyancy land on you) and there were few jelly fish on the night dive( that I would rather not get stung by) but you definately need to check with the dive shop as soon as you get in so you can get the check out stuff done ( divemaster and above do not need to do this) and they will let you do the night dive because it is done with one of the divemasters or instructors.

Arkman:
When I send guests to these resorts I get approval from the particular resort that they will honor a refresher done by the local dive center prior to arrival. You could contact Duane at Mick's Scuba Welcome in Moorhead and do a pool refresher before leaving home. It might get you another day of diving as you would not need to do the refresher when you get to the resort, so you would be one day ahead in the process.

You can tell him I sent you (so he knows I am referrring people to him) and consider checking with him next time you take one of these trips about making the booking for you?

My wife and I did go out with Rick from Northwest Divers in town and did some review in the pool but it wasn't a "formal" refresher class and he didn't really charge us. I'm not sure that I want to ask him to sign off on the log book, since it wasn't a formal class.

Thanks for your suggestion though. I really do appreciate it.

hbhobby. Were you talking about the dive shack at Couples Negril? We are not going until September so I believe it should be done by then. :wink:

As for the refresher dive. Is that at Sandals, Couples or both? Time between our Feb dive trip to Roatan and this one will be about 6.5 months. Hope we don't have to do that.

Arkman, I am presently using a full length 3mil wetsuit and would recommend the same for your visit. Note, there is nowhere in Jamaica for rental or purchase. To get an idea, you could also read another current post 'Little Cayman water temp?'. Should you decide against wetsuits, I would suggest that the barest minimum be full length outfits like long sleeve T-shirts and track bottoms. At least, you'll get protection against stings. Should also mention that being fully covered is especially important on night dives. Very, very occasionally there can be box jellies and they have a really nasty and painful sting.

I think you should also read another recent thread. Do a search for 'painful rash after contact with mooring rope'.

Be prepared, dive safe, have fun.

Betty, maybe trip insurance (just in case) is not a bad idea, September is, after all, hurricane season.

Negril is not necessarily the best diving area. There are other areas with much more dramatic topography - walls and sea mounts. Negril, however, is very, very pretty and so, so easy - like rolling out of bed and you are on the reef. Definitely sinful!!!

Also, barring hurricanes, September is traditionally the best Jamaican diving month. The sea, particularly by Negril, can be so flat that it's like a pond with no shore breakers - the water kind of just rest on the shore. Then there is the matter of the water temp - 'no wetsuit needed' - absolutely disgusting!!!

Have a blast!

Late to the party, but thought I'd add my $0.02.

We stayed at Couples Negril for our wedding in May 2003 (see, honey, I remembered) and dove with the on-site op. We were a little disappointed with the marine life and also with the fact that to get two dives in per day, you had a long surface interval (morning one-tanker goes out at 9; afternoon one-tanker goes out at 1:30 or so).

On our second trip in May 2008, we again stayed at Couples Negril, but opted for an off-site dive op (Sundivers) in order to do a more traditional two-tank morning dive and have the rest of the day available to appreciate the resort or do some off-resort tours (we do understand that Sundivers may have undergone some changes since we dove with them). I must say that between 2003 and 2008, we saw a vast improvement in the health of the reefs, in terms of both fish count and fish size.

Can't wait for our next trip in May of 2013.

Back
Top Bottom